Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 03:36 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,641,964 times

Advertisements

The pilot of a Southwest Airlines flight gave passengers a scare Tuesday when he announced over the loudspeaker that the plane was "going down."

"He said, 'We're going down,'" Shelley Wills, one of the passengers on the Boeing 737 en route from Tampa, Fla., to Raleigh-Durham International Airport, told ABC's affiliate there. "And everyone is looking around like, 'Is this a joke? Is he serious?' And then you felt the nosedive."

Southwest pilot to passengers: 'We're going down'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 07:22 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,397,841 times
Someone's career as an airline pilot is going down. That is for sure. Not even the pilots union will stand up for this.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:48 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,970,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Someone's career as an airline pilot is going down. That is for sure. Not even the pilots union will stand up for this.

After having read the article, I do not see your reasoning. There was an actual emergency according to the article, one that was resolved prior to actually landing. The pilot may have inadvertently activated the PA system, not meaning to announce it to the passengers, however it would have become pretty noticeable that something was wrong anyway if the plane nosedived suddenly.

Depending on the severity of the emergency that happened, I honestly think the pilot should be commended for recovering from it and making a safe landing. But that's just me.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:12 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,855,692 times
I know had I been a passenger on that flight and heard through the speakers that the 'plane was going down' I would have **it in my pants.

Glad the plane made it back safely.

-Cheers.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:02 AM

326 posts, read 674,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
After having read the article, I do not see your reasoning. There was an actual emergency according to the article, one that was resolved prior to actually landing. The pilot may have inadvertently activated the PA system, not meaning to announce it to the passengers, however it would have become pretty noticeable that something was wrong anyway if the plane nosedived suddenly.

Depending on the severity of the emergency that happened, I honestly think the pilot should be commended for recovering from it and making a safe landing. But that's just me.
Absolutely agree. I was very surprised that a moderator and 500 dollar winner would make such a statement. We don't know what happened (apart from news reports which are very rarely 100% complete and correct) so what's with those comments such as "someone's career as an airline pilot is going down. That's for sure"?

Old 11-22-2013, 12:53 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,713,141 times
didn't SW Airlines merge with Airtran? I have a flight scheduled for 12/26 I don't like the sound of this tho ive never had any trouble on my previous Airtran flights

Old 11-22-2013, 01:54 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,966,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
Absolutely agree. I was very surprised that a moderator and 500 dollar winner would make such a statement. We don't know what happened (apart from news reports which are very rarely 100% complete and correct) so what's with those comments such as "someone's career as an airline pilot is going down. That's for sure"?
How do you think they got the $500?

Old 11-22-2013, 02:44 PM

21,174 posts, read 19,780,533 times
If you think the passengers were scared, you should have seen the pilots.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:19 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,028,914 times
theory - pilot inadvertently selected the PA by accident when attempting to communicate with either the FA or ATC. I can think of plenty of instances where I've listened to pilots make their passenger announcement over the ATC frequency and clog up the radiowaves for a minute at a time...best was Air France who really couldn't deny who they were...after a pilot makes this mistake, you typically ask the other pilot to make all radio calls until you're on with a new center controller...Air France didn't have that luxury, LoL.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:52 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,940,652 times
I was on a Swissair flight one time from London to Geneva when the PA system suddenly announced:

"Decompression, decompression, reach for yellow oxygen masks"

To be perfectly honest, we were too shocked to be scared. It didn't last long ... probably just a few seconds but it felt like minutes. But there was no screaming or yelling. Everybody seemed very calm.

And of course it was a false alarm. They brought the bar cart out real quick after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation