Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 07:58 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

Flight canceled after blind man ousted, passengers revolt - KMSP-TV

They may try to spin it as justified, but the over 30 passengers revolting over rule their PR spin. Sounds like the attendant hates dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:03 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
They cancelled the flight and the airline paid for a bus to transport the passengers to their destination. This whole thing sound strange. I am expecting to see cell phone videos popping up. Maybe then we can see what really happened.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:30 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times
It was on Piedmont Airlines which is owned by USAir. It was a Dash 8 turboprop aircraft. The back row seats 5 across, the middle seat is in the aisle. The passenger should have been moved one seat right or left and his dog allowed under the seat in front of him. If the flight wasn't full, they could have easily given him the back row to himself so the dog could have more room.

I've flown with service dogs numerous times and they have always been very well behaved. But yes, they must stay under the seat.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:33 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,571 times
This incident aside, US Airways has been the absolute worst airline I have ever flown with. Somehow I am not surprised.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
This incident aside, US Airways has been the absolute worst airline I have ever flown with. Somehow I am not surprised.
So you never flew on Air Jamaica??

Old 11-16-2013, 08:00 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
So you never flew on Air Jamaica??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
He has not, since he did not say he has flown on *every* airline in the world ...

BTW, I do agree with the statement about US Airways.
And I know nothing about Air Jamaica ...

So ... how do you compare Air Jamaica with US Airways ?

Old 11-16-2013, 12:15 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
It pretty much looks like the flight attendant effed it up, the captain didn't help, and the airline is taking a rather well-deserved beating in the media (all media, social, mainstream, etc). There were 4 empty seats on the flight and despite the open seats, apparently the flight attendant didn't do anything to try to mitigate the situation or help the blind man, other than to take on the typical "sky bully" role and start threatening, which is pretty typical anyway.

US airways has basically gone silent about the whole thing after posting a poorly worded "two sides to every story" response to the incident which essentially claimed that the crew is always right. Unfortunately, the passenger was apparently seated in seat 9D of a Dash 8, which is in the middle of the aisle, with no under seat space where a service animal could go. Because of this the animal had to be placed under a neighbor's seat, which caused problems after a prolonged taxi wherein the dog became restless and rearranged itself under the owner's legs.

It's not the law which is being questioned, but the way that the airline handled the situation looks to have been worse than pathetic. The flight attendant could have probably done more, and the captain could have probably mitigated the whole situation by suggesting that the FA re-seat a couple of people. Since there were 33 passengers on a 37 seat plane, that means there were 4 empty seats. This means that the likelihood of the passenger being able to get a seat for himself and a vacant seat next to him for the dog to take up foot space, would have been good.

How hard could it have been for the captain to just make a cabin announcement explaining the problem and asking for a few people to switch spaces so that everyone (crew included) could happily go off to their destination? When so many paying customers, most with separate schedules and agendas, object to a common situation and the handling thereof, it's most likely not the passenger's problem, but the way that the airline handled it. Or in this case, didn't handle it.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:12 PM

[quote=irman;32254067.
So ... how do you compare Air Jamaica with US Airways ?[/QUOTE]
I have flown both and would take US Airways over Air Jamaica. I am not sure AJ even has any flights any more. They did serve Champagne and served free meals after others stopped but they had a lot of problems and service certainly declined.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:09 PM

21 posts, read 51,112 times
I've worked in the Caribbean for sometime. Air Jamaica still operates from a number of major gateways in the US gateways. AJ was purchased by Carribean Airlines (a Trinidad and Tobago company)

Old 11-16-2013, 08:29 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
There's definitely a grey area that isn't being reported here.

There is no requirement for a service animal to fit under a seat as that simply isn't practical for large dogs. The Air Carrier Access Act is the federal regulation that applies in this case (the ADA doesn't apply to airlines). A service animal should be accommodated at the "seat location" of the passenger. This generally means on the floor by the passengers legs.

The article in the OP mentions that the dog was lying in the aisle and the FA told the owner it had to be moved, which is indeed correct as the aircraft can't legally take off with an obstruction in the aisle.

It becomes a he said-she said situation after that. Did the FA act like a jerk and act inappropriately towards the passenger? Beats me, maybe. Did the passenger see this as an opportunity to cause a scene, possibly get a little media attention and hopefully some free flights? Beats me, maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation