Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 08:12 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,775,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
How many suicide bombers were NOT muslim?
He was not bomber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,727,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
History is rife with people who commit murder as part of a suicide. You need look no further than Columbine and Sandy Hook

The reason why he did not auger the plane in immediately, or in the South China Sea is that he was living out an elaborate scenario centered on the plane. He saw this as a challenge, he worked it out in his simulator at home and he did it because he could. He knew the mystery he would leave behind and that was part of his death scenario. Just like Adam Lanza had his death scenario.
After reading this thread and reading online, I hate to start thinking that it was the captain but it well could have been. As someone said, his wife and kids had moved out (divorce? separated?) a few days previously. That could be enough reason.

To take so many people along with him? He would have to be a very angry person. To be an Adam Lanza? No, there is no previous known mental illness that would account for that. All I can think of, if it was the captain, is that suicide was the answer for him, flying planes was his life so that was the way to do it, and to be the widow and kids of a mass murderer would have been good punishment for loved ones who had left him.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:18 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,816,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I had the tv on today and instead of my reruns of the financial shows from during the week it was all-day MH370 coverage.

They had many "experts" from a variety of places but I heard the following:

The 7:11 am ping and the 8:11 ping were "very close or in the same place" leading some to believe that the plane had landed.

A man from the company who makes the black boxes says that they will ping for 30 days--from under water. If the plane crashed on land, they don't ping at all. The box will ping down to 20,000 feet--and the Indian Ocean is deeper than that.

One woman, who has been involved in many investigations says it is unreal for there to be no tips or reports of any kind. She said there are always people coming forward who saw something, heard something, even if many are unfounded. But other than the first day when the fisherman says he saw a plane go down, there's been nothing. Or nothing reported on the news. She found that very odd. She also talked about investigations in remote places where people actively went out looking for tips, and that doesn't seem to be going on here.

Otherwise it was another day of "we don't know, but we can talk about it for four hours anyway."
YOu are being confused by "ping". There are two kinds. The initial signals in a radio frequency communication set up...and the acoustic signal of an acoustic signaler under water.

They have been tracking, or at least finding it alive, on the radio frequency "pings". The acoustic pings come into play only if the bird is in the water and microphone are reasonably close.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:24 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,476,800 times
If the captain did this to commit suicide, why would he have flown the plane for hours after shutting off the communications systems? Maybe because he wanted to experience making the plane "invisible" like he practiced on the simulator as some kind of sick thrill, but it still seems far-fetched.

Then there's also this political protest angle to consider with the man he supported being jailed a few hours before the flight. But would he have wanted to commit suicide and kill everyone else on onboard to make a statement because of that? What kind of a statement would that be? Or would he have flown the plane to Central Asia as a protest? Where would he have landed it that would be part of the "protest"?

542 posts, read 692,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
As someone who made a career that often encompassed garnering a sixth sense of people, (not that I was always correct, but 9 times of ten I was on the mark, or closely related) when I view the photos of the pilots and then view more about the internet, I don't see "bad" in the co-pilot or younger guy. But the pilot, when you look at him closely, you sense something simmering in that guy. Something in the eyes, not quite right.

Pure speculation on my part and I may be off the mark here, judging from only photos, but now that we've narrowed the possibilities down. He looks rather "dark" to me.
I've been wondering about this - is there security camera footage of the passengers and pilots before they boarded the plane? I wonder if we could get behavior analysis experts to look it over. Someone who's about to do something very unusual would probably show it in their behavior, even subconsciously, wouldn't they?

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
After reading this thread and reading online, I hate to start thinking that it was the captain but it well could have been. As someone said, his wife and kids had moved out (divorce? separated?) a few days previously. That could be enough reason.
The articles I read said they moved out of his main residence the day of the flight, and moved to his secondary residence. It also said he and his wife were already separated or divorced, and simply shared the house with the kids. There didn't appear to be any new developments there.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:25 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,543,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
How many suicide bombers were NOT muslim?
Kamikaze - Suicide Pilots of World War II

Old 03-16-2014, 08:29 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,543,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
I've been wondering about this - is there security camera footage of the passengers and pilots before they boarded the plane? I wonder if we could get behavior analysis experts to look it over. Someone who's about to do something very unusual would probably show it in their behavior, even subconsciously, wouldn't they?
That's an interesting idea. They must have some kind of footage, since they were able to identify the two people who had the stolen passports.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:30 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,324,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Sounds about right. They can recover bodies at that depth, they did with AF447, able to identify them for proper burial. Hopefully something is recorded on the CVR, but doubtful.
I just heard today that they did not recover even one body from AF447. They only recovered the airplane.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:32 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,027,772 times
Actually, they ought to do a voice stress analysis. Worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation