Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 12:47 PM

54,496 posts, read 33,866,725 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what this air traffic controller at Atlanta's Hartsfield was thinking.. or drinking.. but I thought he would have known better than to jokingly tell the pilots on an in-bound Delta flight on final that they could not land. I just read this, and I thought it was STUPID!! I can't believe he did this as a "Joke"? I certainly didn't see the humor in it, and I'm sure neither did the captain and the first officer on that flight, when they were told at 1,000 feet above ground that they could not land, which of course initiated a Go-Around procedure that could have been dangerous, then subsequently telling them that he was only "Joking"... and to go ahead and land on the designated runway (27-Left) .. at which point they had already started go around procedures.

Air Traffic Controller jokes with Delta Pilots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 02:16 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Delta loves to fly, and it shows.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:23 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Yeah, definitely not a smart move. The pilot made the right decision. Whenever key words pop up, they are to be taken seriously and unfortunately for the controller, they were.

It wasn't a particularly dangerous 'joke,' but a stupid one. Sometimes controllers are loose with the phraseology over the radio, but there are things you don't say, as they will be taken as command.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:38 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,535 times
At 1000' there isn't time to wait around and see if the controller is joking. Pilots are required to observe the "sterile cockpit" rules, where all conversations are 100% business. That should extend to ATC who communicate with them as well.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:42 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what this air traffic controller at Atlanta's Hartsfield was thinking.. or drinking..

You can actually listen to the audio at LiveATC.net (You must be a registered user to hear the audio clips.)

Atlanta controller joke causes go around | LiveATC.net

The genesis of the joke is that Delta told the controller they didn't have an assigned gate yet, and that he'd have to figure out somewhere for them to park. In that light, the "joke" makes some sense, although I agree it was poor judgment. I don't agree that any particular go-around is potentially more dangerous than any other phase of flight, especially in benign conditions. I imagine there'll be some disciplinary action...

Old 06-16-2014, 08:09 PM

54,496 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post

You can actually listen to the audio at LiveATC.net (You must be a registered user to hear the audio clips.)

Atlanta controller joke causes go around | LiveATC.net

The genesis of the joke is that Delta told the controller they didn't have an assigned gate yet, and that he'd have to figure out somewhere for them to park. In that light, the "joke" makes some sense, although I agree it was poor judgment. I don't agree that any particular go-around is potentially more dangerous than any other phase of flight, especially in benign conditions. I imagine there'll be some disciplinary action...
Maybe "dangerous" was an exaggeration on my part; I'm not too familiar with Atlanta's Hartsfield, but since there were other air traffic controllers who were also working, they could have possibly directed other aircraft to taxi across 27-L after hearing the "Go-around" message. I'm not sure how many seconds it took before the ATC indicated that he was only joking and gave them clearance to land, in those moments of confusion, had Delta 630 gone-around, who knows what could have happened. I'm sure the Delta flight crew would have been very observant and seen a dangerous situation, then aborted the landing on a clear day, but if there was limited visibility, that's where the factor of danger comes in.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:20 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how many seconds it took before the ATC indicated that he was only joking and gave them clearance to land,

I just listened to it again, and assuming it wasn't edited down at all, it was barely two seconds between "go around" and "I'm kidding".

Old 06-16-2014, 08:54 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times
Sometimes the egos of controllers at places like ATL gets out of hand, and they try a little too hard to sound clever over the frequency. There are boundaries to such cuteness, and this guy crossed one.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:29 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Any time there's a go-around, especially at a very busy terminal like ATL, it jacks up the flow and requires the aircraft to re-sequence into the arrival pattern. I'm guessing that radar wasn't too happy with the "joke", either.

Suggestion: Maybe the controller can be charged the amount of revenue Delta lost on the trip around the pattern. Fuel, missed connections, crew costs.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:32 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Flightaware say'ed the flight got to gate 20 minutes later then the schedule arrival time. But still earlier then it normal (late) arrival time by 6 mins.

Sched 16:35
Arrived 16:55

Average arrival time 17:01

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...845Z/KDTW/KATL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation