Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:07 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times

Advertisements

I think people are misunderstanding the threat here. Almost every country on earth has the capability to shoot down a commercial jet. Hamas has some capability from equipment provided by Syria and Iran, but that is not what this threat is about. Hamas would certainly use it on Israeli military jets flying OVER Gaza, and once a Hamas SAM even blinks an eyelash it will be put out of action in an instant.

This is about surface-to-surface missles, which landed near the airport. Think more along the lines of mortars or artillery. They cannot take out a jet in the air except from perhaps a once in a million shot where a jet happens to fly in it's path (or in the path of the Isreali Iron Dome rockets). They are more likely to take out a jet on the ground, taxing on the runway. I think that is the nature of the concern. Iron Dome is effective, but not always.

This is only a 24 hour suspension, they've had longer closures due to strikes. Actually, the airport remains open. El Al and a number of airlines are still operating as usual out of the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 09:08 AM

24,286 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
Pretty sure those are unguided rockets. They cannot shoot down airplanes.
Disagree. They are not INTENDED to shoot down aircraft, but they can if they hit the aircraft. I personally have seen a salvo of rockets shot in the general direction of another aircraft, in effect a really big shotgun. The intention was to down the aircraft, and while not successful, not even close, had the rockets hit their target the results would have been no less devastating to the jet as if a SAM had been used instead. While the threat from an unguided rocket is minimal, it should not be disregarded, especially during the takeoff and landing phase of flight when an aircraft is lower and slower.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:12 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Disagree. They are not INTENDED to shoot down aircraft, but they can if they hit the aircraft. I personally have seen a salvo of rockets shot in the general direction of another aircraft, in effect a really big shotgun. The intention was to down the aircraft, and while not successful, not even close, had the rockets hit their target the results would have been no less devastating to the jet as if a SAM had been used instead.
One interesting point is that Hamas tactics, in order to try to outwit Israel's Iron Dome, do indeed shoot off rockets in salvos. Still it would be a one in a million shot.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:57 AM

43,650 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
This is only a 24 hour suspension, they've had longer closures due to strikes. Actually, the airport remains open. El Al and a number of airlines are still operating as usual out of the airport.
I read somewhere that Lufthansa has already extended that to another 24 hour suspension.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
Pretty sure those are unguided rockets. They cannot shoot down airplanes.
But they could still hit an airplane (by chance) which could cause a crash.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:07 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
But they could still hit an airplane (by chance) which could cause a crash.
So could a meteor. Why aren't flights suspended during a meteor shower?

Because this is not about airline safety. It's the US and Europe pressuring Israel to cease fire.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
So could a meteor. Why aren't flights suspended during a meteor shower?

Because this is not about airline safety. It's the US and Europe pressuring Israel to cease fire.
No it is not. This happened because of the downed Malaysian jet which flew over a war zone!

Old 07-23-2014, 11:18 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Hamas has several different types of missiles that it is launching at Israel. I believe that point is that one that could hit a plane if the Iron Dome system isn't able to take out that particular missile beforehand and that is what they are worried about. Among the Hamas arsenel are: Syrian-made M-302 Khaibar missiles (see 302mm Khaibar (M-302) | Military Edge as well as Hamas Rocket Arsenal - Business Insider ).
They are using missiles as rockets. Look up any video; its light up and run. Whatever they hit is by sheer luck. Each missile is pure propulsion w/o guidance and a small amount of exposive. Their suppliers didn't give them the electronics to do so. If you look at the photos on line of the missiles that landed, every missile is intact for the most part. And not one has left a crater larger than two yards. They are meant to terrorize as that is all they do. Also keep in mind that their launching silos are the water pipes they pulled out of the ground.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:25 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
No it is not. This happened because of the downed Malaysian jet which flew over a war zone!
Even I believe the gov'ts are behind this. The rocket in Israel landed THREE MILES away from the airport.

BTW Japan looks nice and I get to spend some time with my son. Next stop Hawaii. Thank g-d this reverse trip is not on my dime.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:40 AM

741 posts, read 914,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Disagree. They are not INTENDED to shoot down aircraft, but they can if they hit the aircraft. I personally have seen a salvo of rockets shot in the general direction of another aircraft, in effect a really big shotgun. The intention was to down the aircraft, and while not successful, not even close, had the rockets hit their target the results would have been no less devastating to the jet as if a SAM had been used instead. While the threat from an unguided rocket is minimal, it should not be disregarded, especially during the takeoff and landing phase of flight when an aircraft is lower and slower.
The rockets Hamas has are theoretically capable of taking out a high flying aircraft just like a .22 LR is theoretically capable of killing an elephant from 100 yards away. I'm not going to get into a protracted debate about what might be possible in the infinite realm of theory and the most freakish chance but the short of it is, no, unguided Hamas rockets aren't anti aircraft weapons.

To characterize them like that diminishes the credibility of whoever is doing the characterization.

They're awful and scary enough without having to grossly exaggerate what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation