Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 05:17 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Am I loosing my mind or am I seeing pictures related to this incident of passengers leaving this perilously dangerous conflagration carrying and rolling off their luggage on the tarmac from a emergency slide evacuation of an airliner on fire?!

I am just astounded, and yet somehow not surprised that I am certain that during a fire evacuation from a plane that several self absorbed people wouldn't think twice of popping open the overhead bin to grab their carry-on completely disregarding the safety of everyone else on board because they actually think that their items of clothing and electronic devices are more important than human lives.

Please tell me I'm wrong here and that somehow this did not happen and I would not be the only one to slam close on the hand of anyone daring to delay the evacuation of hundreds of lives to grab whatever crap might be in the upper bin and shove their sorry ass forward to the exit pronto!
It's predictable. Just like how 95% of people on the internet take a moralistic attitude that they would NEVER do such a thing, 95% of people in real life, do it. Which means that either 1. our eyes are deceiving us, and those people were not really taking their luggage down the emergency evacuation slide, or 2. a lot of the people on the internet who say they would never do it, probably would do the exact same thing in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 09:25 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=125&v=BMZp8iP6isE

Old 09-11-2015, 02:14 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Am I loosing my mind or am I seeing pictures related to this incident of passengers leaving this perilously dangerous conflagration carrying and rolling off their luggage on the tarmac from a emergency slide evacuation of an airliner on fire?!

I am just astounded, and yet somehow not surprised that I am certain that during a fire evacuation from a plane that several self absorbed people wouldn't think twice of popping open the overhead bin to grab their carry-on completely disregarding the safety of everyone else on board because they actually think that their items of clothing and electronic devices are more important than human lives.

Please tell me I'm wrong here and that somehow this did not happen and I would not be the only one to slam close on the hand of anyone daring to delay the evacuation of hundreds of lives to grab whatever crap might be in the upper bin and shove their sorry ass forward to the exit pronto!
Actually there is a more benign explanation - in an emergency, people do what they are "trained" to do. If you don't practice any emergency drill, you won't do it right. I see it in fire drills here - people have a strong tendency to go out the door they normally go out of, passing right by an emergency exit.

So these people are just getting off the plane the way they normally do it. Grab your bag, then go.

Not excusing it, but perhaps explaining it.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:20 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Carry on and Evacuation have happened on the last few plane Evac's that I've Seen.

Personal I would like to see a automatic Lock on the overheads that goes on with the seatbelt sign, and get unlocked when the seatbelt sign goes off.

Also No Applause, Just because the plane as stopped, or landed, you still need to hear instruction. The FA need to be heard, and Life and Death information need to be communicated. That 10-15 seconds of applause could cost you or someone else there life as the FA are trying to impart information,
Hey, that's a very good suggestion. You need to suggest this to the Feds.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:14 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Quote:
Carry on and Evacuation have happened on the last few plane Evac's that I've Seen.

Personal I would like to see a automatic Lock on the overheads that goes on with the seatbelt sign, and get unlocked when the seatbelt sign goes off.

Also No Applause, Just because the plane as stopped, or landed, you still need to hear instruction. The FA need to be heard, and Life and Death information need to be communicated. That 10-15 seconds of applause could cost you or someone else there life as the FA are trying to impart information,
To your first point: I HATE watching people evacuate with the luggage. I know it matters to have your things, but it is worth more than the life of another? However, locking the overhead bins could have unintended consequences. I fear that people will not know the bins are locked and still spend precious time trying to pry them open; wasting even more valuable time.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:46 PM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
To your first point: I HATE watching people evacuate with the luggage. I know it matters to have your things, but it is worth more than the life of another? However, locking the overhead bins could have unintended consequences. I fear that people will not know the bins are locked and still spend precious time trying to pry them open; wasting even more valuable time.
My beliefs as well. People would be so focused on getting that bag out of the bin they'd forget that the aircraft needs to be exited NOW and hold up the rest of the people. Or get trampled in the process and block the aisle that way.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:57 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times
Once the practice of locked bins is enforce once planes are underway, the general public will know it's commom practice.
Locked for take off, opened once docked. Simple procedure.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:00 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Overheads: I willing to have them Unlocked when @ altitude..

Only Locked when seat belt sign is on.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:19 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Overheads: I willing to have them Unlocked when @ altitude..

Only Locked when seat belt sign is on.
But wouldn't the crew turn off the sign when they are trying to get the passengers to evacuate? I wonder what has happened on the last few ship accidents where the passengers do have to be part of a drill and not just sleep through a TV message?

Old 09-14-2015, 09:29 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Appears to have been a disintegration of the high pressure compressor. Threw parts which is not supposed to happen. Subject of an Airworthness directive in 2011.

Apparently they did not intially start evacuating. Passengers wanted out to open ports. Captain came out to calm passenger then apparently saw the engine and ordered the evacuation. Virtually everyone had their carryon luggage.

Local paper Review Journal has an in depth for those interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation