Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 07:10 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
UNconfirmed

Industry rumor to the effect that Russia is believed to have suddenly cancelled all of its commercial flights in and out of Egypt. (not just Sharm, or the Sinai, but all of Egypt)

UNconfirmed

We'll have to wait and see IF there is any truth to this.
Same report on the BBC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 07:57 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,649 times
Russia Suspends Flights to Egypt - The Daily Beast

Old 11-06-2015, 10:32 AM

Data recorders confirm "explosion"

Breaking - France 24

Old 11-06-2015, 11:29 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
I'm concerned about all those Brit citizens who got stranded because of this. I hope their flights out take place without incident.

The reports I heard said that US authorities and others (the UN? I don't remember, exactly) for a couple of weeks had been advising everyone to avoid flying over that area. The Russ flight was a charter. Apparently they disregarded the warnings....?

Old 11-06-2015, 12:11 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Normally, it's difficult for a terrorist to come aboard a charter unless they stole the identitiy of a passenger and blended in. It's more likely a bomb was in the cargo hold. The bulk-loaded cargo hold is in the rear near the tail section.

both recorders shut off, "sudden explosive decompression" which may be the bomb (or something else)

Russian plane black boxes point to 'attack', Putin halts flights - News - JamaicaObserver.com

Crash forensics to determine whether bomb downed Russian jet | Cairo Post

Old 11-06-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Normally, it's difficult for a terrorist to come aboard a charter unless they stole the identitiy of a passenger and blended in. It's more likely a bomb was in the cargo hold. The bulk-loaded cargo hold is in the rear near the tail section.
Apparently just about anybody could waltz right through and bypass security for the princely sum of £20

Brit tourists at Sharm el-Sheikh airport 'offered chance to skip security queues for £20' - Mirror Online

At least some elements of Security seems to have been corruptable beyond all comprehension.

My heart goes out the the decent, honest people whose job duties gave them Tarmac access. They must be a unique sort of anguish now.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:06 PM

94 posts, read 78,340 times
Well if it was a bomb put into the cargo hold, maybe they should stop hiring lowlifes to work in the airport ramp

I take back the SAM launcher thing if this is true, because that is just as likely to be what happened
Hiring unscrupulous wannabe terrorist type people to work the airport ramp

Yes I flip-flop now
Whatcha gonna do about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I need a stiff drink and shut up for awhile

Last edited by Wannabenonymous; 11-06-2015 at 01:15 PM..

Old 11-06-2015, 01:32 PM

834 posts, read 1,218,079 times
How difficult is it in such a corrupt country to load rigged i.e. lithium batteries, aerosols, diving tanks into the cargo hold? Seriously. In La Guardia, Miami, and JFK airports even TSA checked employees and luggage handlers transport drugs and guns for profit.

Printer cartridge bombs in 2010 by Al Qaeda were not very sophisticated but would have been highly effective: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_planes_bomb_plot

Don't call the guys from ISIS responsible: It's Saudi sunni salafists who are pissed at Russias attempt to stabilize shiite/alawite Assad.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:35 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
How difficult is it in such a corrupt country to load rigged i.e. lithium batteries, aerosols, diving tanks into the cargo hold? Seriously. In La Guardia, Miami, and JFK airports even TSA checked employees and luggage handlers transport drugs and guns for profit.

Printer cartridge bombs in 2010 by Al Qaeda were not very sophisticated but would have been highly effective: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_planes_bomb_plot

Don't call the guys from ISIS responsible: It's Saudi sunni salafists who are pissed at Russias attempt to stabilize shiite/alawite Assad.
Actually, it's ISIS that called the guys from ISIS responsible. On more than one occasion.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:27 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
So the international passenger flights that crashed this year were either bombed or deliberately brought down (GermanWings).

So it's true they say that planes rarely fall these days because of engine failure or pilot error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation