Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 04:57 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen this movie yet? Are the flying scenes done using a simulator (vs. Top Gun Maverick where I understand a lot of flying is/was real)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 05:14 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times
I haven't seen it yet but I listened to the book on Audible. I am definitely going to rent it when it comes out on DVD.

Old 11-23-2022, 07:37 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,436,110 times
https://www.military.com/off-duty/mo...-maverick.html

Old 11-23-2022, 11:37 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Has anyone seen this movie yet? Are the flying scenes done using a simulator (vs. Top Gun Maverick where I understand a lot of flying is/was real)?
Almost all the flying scenes are real.

If you do a search on the movie, there are a couple of interviews with people that flew the planes in the movie.

I haven't seen the movie, but it was filmed in my "backyard" and I spent a lot of time and energy trying to get the filming moved out of my "backyard".

I live in a high mountain meadow managed by the state of Washington as a Natural Area Preserve. You need a permit from the state to walk on state land!!

I am standing on my back deck, when a Corsair flies BETWEEN the aspen groves out in the middle of the meadow. That did it and off I was on my adventure trying to get the filming stopped.

I did fail to get it stopped.

BUT, it appears that flying BETWEEN the aspen groves was not in the movie.

They pretty much held to a 500 foot altitude to avoid needing a permit from the Forest Service or the state of Washington. They did film on the other end of the meadow where there is a small path of private land, but I have not seen how low they got on that filming.

I did get to see the filming of the crash site. For that they definitely needed a permit, but I suspect they neglected to get one.

I suspected that it was a low budget film given all their efforts to avoid getting permits. I am looking forward to the credits to see if they actually got a permit from the Forest Service for the aerial photography of the crash site.

I do have two close friends that are into historical military aircraft so I did invite them to the house to watch the filming. They really enjoyed it. At least a couple of people got enjoyed the filming.

BTW...the trailer shows a bombing run on two bridges. Those are crossing the Columbia River in Wenatchee. The first is the pedestrian and irrigation water bridge and the far bridge is the main route between the two towns.

For all the people that want to move to Wenatchee, I can now tell them that the movie Devotion picked the area for its close resemblance to North Korea.
Attached Thumbnails
"Devotion" Movie For Aviation Fans-deck_view_jan_11_2008_blog.jpg  

Old 11-24-2022, 04:41 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I did see the movie in 2D at a reduced price on Tuesday. The flying scenes looked real but thanks for the confirmation.

Old 11-24-2022, 06:27 PM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Besides mostly Corsair aerial scenes there is an extended F8F Bearcat flying sequence and flashes of A1 Skyraiders and a MiG-15

Old 11-26-2022, 07:37 PM

17,594 posts, read 13,372,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

If you do a search on the movie, there are a couple of interviews with people that flew the planes in the movie.

I haven't seen the movie, but it was filmed in my "backyard" and I spent a lot of time and energy trying to get the filming moved out of my "backyard".

I live in a high mountain meadow managed by the state of Washington as a Natural Area Preserve. You need a permit from the state to walk on state land!!

I am standing on my back deck, when a Corsair flies BETWEEN the aspen groves out in the middle of the meadow. That did it and off I was on my adventure trying to get the filming stopped.

I did fail to get it stopped.

BUT, it appears that flying BETWEEN the aspen groves was not in the movie.

They pretty much held to a 500 foot altitude to avoid needing a permit from the Forest Service or the state of Washington. They did film on the other end of the meadow where there is a small path of private land, but I have not seen how low they got on that filming.

I did get to see the filming of the crash site. For that they definitely needed a permit, but I suspect they neglected to get one.

I suspected that it was a low budget film given all their efforts to avoid getting permits. I am looking forward to the credits to see if they actually got a permit from the Forest Service for the aerial photography of the crash site.

I do have two close friends that are into historical military aircraft so I did invite them to the house to watch the filming. They really enjoyed it. At least a couple of people got enjoyed the filming.

BTW...the trailer shows a bombing run on two bridges. Those are crossing the Columbia River in Wenatchee. The first is the pedestrian and irrigation water bridge and the far bridge is the main route between the two towns.

For all the people that want to move to Wenatchee, I can now tell them that the movie Devotion picked the area for its close resemblance to North Korea.

Why would you try to stop filming?

Old 11-28-2022, 12:34 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Why would you try to stop filming?
The meadow is a Natural Area Preserve with two endangered species, plus several others that are on the sensitive list. A crash in the meadow in the middle of winter or anytime would not be good.

I did retire from the Forest Service and for a time had responsibility for issuing special use permits for filming on National Forest land.

The film companies were always easy to work.

The Forest Service manages 190 million acres. We could find an appropriate filming area fairly easily no matter have demanding the filming requirements.

I saw the Corsair fly between the aspen groves in the meadow at about 30 feet above ground that got my attention. Shortly afterward, I got an email that they were going to be filming in the meadow and they would keep the property owners notified of when filming would be occurring.

I wrote back and asked if they had a special use permit from the state of Washington. They wrote back and said "we don't need one". And so the adventure started.

If I had recommended that the permit be issued for filming on that sensitive of an area in the National Forest system my next duty station would be a National Grassland in South Dakota, fifty miles from a paved road.

In any case, they did NOT fly an airplane at 30 feet above the meadow when filming. They remained pretty much above the 500 foot airspace so technically did not need a permit. They did go somewhat below 500 feet but that was "acceptable".

There was a very similar area just 10 miles south of the meadow location. They could have filmed there, and the Forest Service would have issued a permit without any fuss.

As I mentioned earlier, the film companies were always easy to work with, but the CORSAIR at 30 feet and we don't need permits got me going!!!

On films that are almost entirely on National Forest land the Forest Service will assign a film liaison during filming. There is a fee for filming on National Forest land.

Does that answer you question??

Check the closing credits on movies and TV shows filmed in a "natural" environment. That will tell you where the film was filmed.

I always enjoy guessing which National Forest before the credits roll.

Old 12-01-2022, 06:55 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,810,912 times
Saw preview of this movie, thought of the Tuskegee Airmen. Doing research on the Tuskegee Airmen through Wikipedia, the armed services were segregated until 1948; remember in the 1950's it was still talked about Jackie Robinson was the first black baseball player, 1947.

Growing up in Oakland, California, couldn't understand segregation. Remember my mom, aunt flying from the first Oakland Airport, 1961. One walked to the airplane, dressed in your Sunday's best. This was the airport Amelia Earhart departed from for her last flight.

Old 12-02-2022, 10:29 PM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Saw preview of this movie, thought of the Tuskegee Airmen. Doing research on the Tuskegee Airmen through Wikipedia, the armed services were segregated until 1948; remember in the 1950's it was still talked about Jackie Robinson was the first black baseball player, 1947.

Growing up in Oakland, California, couldn't understand segregation. Remember my mom, aunt flying from the first Oakland Airport, 1961. One walked to the airplane, dressed in your Sunday's best. This was the airport Amelia Earhart departed from for her last flight.
Ensign Jessie Brow was the first Black Naval Aviator, enlisting before the official desegregation date and going in to N.R.O.T.C. As a movie Devotion seems to getting higher grades on historical accuracy than the HBO Tuskegee Airman TV movie or the major motion picture release of Red Tails.
The major complaint being exaggerating the accomplishments of the two protagonist in the first combat mission show to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation