Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 09:19 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times

Advertisements

If airline executives think the economy class seats and restrooms are the right size then shouldn’t they at least fly in that section at least once a year to experience what their average customer goes through on a daily basis? Think of it like a “secret shopper” or “undercover boss” type program. Last time we flew was back in 2011 and my 4 feet 10 inch wife had barely any legroom. I’m 5 feet 5 inches and I could barely do my business in the restroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 10:05 AM

311 posts, read 478,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
If airline executives think the economy class seats and restrooms are the right size then shouldn’t they at least fly in that section at least once a year to experience what their average customer goes through on a daily basis? Think of it like a “secret shopper” or “undercover boss” type program. Last time we flew was back in 2011 and my 4 feet 10 inch wife had barely any legroom. I’m 5 feet 5 inches and I could barely do my business in the restroom.
Unfortunately, the fact that almost every flight is completely sold out in economy says that the seats and restrooms are exactly the right size. Most airlines do offer economy plus, if you would like more leg room, or of course first class... But that would mean having to pay a bit more for your ticket.

The previous decade taught us that for the majority of the public, the ONLY thing that counts is price. There are airlines that wont even let you carry on a bag without a fee and have a 29" seat pitch, and even THEY sell out flights.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:18 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,772,496 times
Quote:
Try a Horizon air bombardier restroom. Barely enough room to get your feet in! At least for me, with size 14.

At 6'5" and a 35" inseam, I find the seating room adequate on most flights. Sure, it would be nice to have more, but it works. Just don't try to recline your seat if you're in front of me, because my knees won't allow it.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:52 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo_Urns View Post
Unfortunately, the fact that almost every flight is completely sold out in economy says that the seats and restrooms are exactly the right size. Most airlines do offer economy plus, if you would like more leg room, or of course first class... But that would mean having to pay a bit more for your ticket.

The previous decade taught us that for the majority of the public, the ONLY thing that counts is price. There are airlines that wont even let you carry on a bag without a fee and have a 29" seat pitch, and even THEY sell out flights.
That doesn't mean they are the right size. It just means that passengers have no choice but to put up with it for now.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:11 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Try a Horizon air bombardier restroom. Barely enough room to get your feet in! At least for me, with size 14.

At 6'5" and a 35" inseam, I find the seating room adequate on most flights. Sure, it would be nice to have more, but it works. Just don't try to recline your seat if you're in front of me, because my knees won't allow it.
That's nice :-)

I am quite a bit shorter than you, but fairly husky, and while it's physically possible for me to fit in a standard economy seat, my elbows, shoulders, and midsection take up a bit of my fellow passengers' space. It's not fair to them. And if they take up the space to which they're entitled, it's not fair to me.

So I fly first class.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:20 AM

311 posts, read 478,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That doesn't mean they are the right size. It just means that passengers have no choice but to put up with it for now.
Of course, you realize what you are saying is wrong. They have plenty of choices. I just bought an economy plus ticket, which has ample of leg room, and just completed a flight in United's Polaris Business class, which had so much leg room that I couldn't touch the seat in front of me if I tried. Again, the public isn't willing to PAY for more leg room.

I always laugh when I hear people complaining about a lack of leg room, no in-flight meal or free drinks, when they paid 89 dollars for a roundtrip ticket to Florida. You get what you pay for.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:22 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,245,076 times
Quote:
I'm 6'6" (1.98M) and I feel like I do my yoga workout going to the bathroom in some of these planes. I fly all the time and try to get Economy Plus or business class when I fly but when it doesn't work out for whatever reason, I suffer. For example, I often fly from Dubai to Seattle and back (14-15 hours each way).

Old 03-15-2018, 07:28 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I say this as someone that's miserable in small airplane seats. You're wrong. Customers do have a choice, and they choose the cheapest option, every time.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:37 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,742,228 times
Ha! You think the airline execs are going to give up their seats on their corporate jets to fly with us peons?

Old 03-16-2018, 05:56 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,193,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo_Urns View Post
Of course, you realize what you are saying is wrong. They have plenty of choices. I just bought an economy plus ticket, which has ample of leg room, and just completed a flight in United's Polaris Business class, which had so much leg room that I couldn't touch the seat in front of me if I tried. Again, the public isn't willing to PAY for more leg room.

I always laugh when I hear people complaining about a lack of leg room, no in-flight meal or free drinks, when they paid 89 dollars for a roundtrip ticket to Florida. You get what you pay for.
If seats were the right size, then there wouldn't be any demand for upgraded seats with more leg room. Last time I flew, I paid $450 round trip for a seat with no room. When I was searching for flights(to Ohio), I saw some tickets as high as $1000 for the same "pack you in like sardines" seats. So whats a reasonable price for more leg room? $1500? $2000? $3000?

There are those of us that feel you shouldn't have to pay extra just not have your knees jammed into the seat in front of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation