Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 06:12 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,798,145 times

Advertisements

I have seen a few bizarre claims, seemingly taken seriously by some, while looking at YouTube videos. This latest series I came upon takes the cake.

The claim is, jet aircraft fly on compressed air, and electrical power taken from the air and lightening. One of their talking points is, there is simply no room in which to store the tens of thousands of pounds of jet fuel said to be stored in the wings of jet aircraft.

This is part of a great hoax (apparently many thousands are in on “it”), to rob the public by claiming that these jets run on expensive fuels, when, according to their claimants, the propulsive force used is really free.

I have no words.

View:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2p-taohj6I

View:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhzh7J2SR0Q

Oh, and another theory is, big jets levitate (and resonate, whatever that means), they don’t really fly….

View:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVFyFwQMW4E

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 06:42 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,058,915 times
I think it was Einstein who said something like "Only two things are infinite, human stupidity and the universe. And sometimes I am not so certain about the universe".

The American public education system, obviously, does not educate.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:49 PM

45,350 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I think it was Einstein who said something like "Only two things are infinite, human stupidity and the universe. And sometimes I am not so certain about the universe".

The American public education system, obviously, does not educate.
Jet engine propulsion likely isn't covered in any curriculum. Maybe in Physics but not anywhere else in a basic Science class.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:02 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Jet engine propulsion likely isn't covered in any curriculum. Maybe in Physics but not anywhere else in a basic Science class.
Surely you hinted at it though? Having been a pilot previously. Or was your curriculum so proscribed that you could not do that?

What about energy conservation? The whole idea that matter/energy is not created or destroyed, just changes form.

I know one can't teach common sense, but, I really think a high school senior, say upper half of the graduating class anyway, ought to know enough to understand that the ideas expressed in these U-Tube videos are, to put it politely, bunk.

Or maybe 30 years in the nuclear power business, among an impressive peer group, has given me an unrealistic expectation of mental competence that the general public can't meet. Tell me it isn't that...

It is remarkable how far a jetliner can go on a couple of wings full of fuel, just from a "gee whiz" sort of point of view. But it's science, not mumbo jumbo, that explains how all this works.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:19 PM

45,350 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Surely you hinted at it though? Having been a pilot previously. Or was your curriculum so proscribed that you could not do that?

What about energy conservation? The whole idea that matter/energy is not created or destroyed, just changes form.

I know one can't teach common sense, but, I really think a high school senior, say upper half of the graduating class anyway, ought to know enough to understand that the ideas expressed in these U-Tube videos are, to put it politely, bunk.

Or maybe 30 years in the nuclear power business, among an impressive peer group, has given me an unrealistic expectation of mental competence that the general public can't meet. Tell me it isn't that...

It is remarkable how far a jetliner can go on a couple of wings full of fuel, just from a "gee whiz" sort of point of view. But it's science, not mumbo jumbo, that explains how all this works.
I didn't teach Science so I'm not sure what they covered, as I mentioned maybe in Physics. Never saw or heard about what's in those videos. Never, that I can remember, in 30 years had a question about it.

Without answering your paragraph 4 question directly I'll just say that 1/2 of the population has a below average IQ.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:17 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,256,590 times
Quote:

I'll tell you that it's part of it.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:20 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,443,172 times
Technically a jet engine does compress air. Through several stages of low pressure and high pressure turbines.

But it definitely churns through a lot of dead dinosaurs as well!

Old 02-28-2018, 08:49 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,852,576 times
Did you hear the idiot say that the APU in the back of the plane produces the air required for the main propulsion jets?

Old 02-28-2018, 09:19 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,443,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Did you hear the idiot say that the APU in the back of the plane produces the air required for the main propulsion jets?
APU air does provide air to start the engines.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:44 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,852,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
APU air does provide air to start the engines.
But I do not think that is what he meant ... , or?

The air supplied by the APU only starts the engine, but he is talking about just using air for propulsion, or I am totally getting confused by his "dissertation" ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation