Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Lilium electric "jet" a hoax?
Hoax 3 42.86%
Not a hoax 2 28.57%
Undecided 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 12:37 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times

Advertisements

I can't see it possibly generating enough vertical lift from those fans, or enough lift from the wing in forward flight, it seems front heavy, and the video, (like many from startups) has a dramatic music overlay and not raw audio.
I'm calling hoax.

https://lilium.com/

Taxi of the future? Electric plane that takes off VERTICALLY has successfully completed first test flight - Mirror Online

Lilium flying car/jet (EDF) real or hoax?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohig71bwRUE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 08:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
their video certainly seems impressive, but there seem to be many issues to be overcome. lets say though that they really got the aircraft to do what it did in the video, take off, transition from vertical to wing born flight, transition back and land. very impressive indeed, but what range does this aircraft have? how easy is it to fly for the average pilot?

as for the video itself, there does seem to be something going on there, the camera wasnt giving any up close and personal shots on the runway. in fact it was some distance from from the aircraft itself, the only close up shots were taken with the aircraft in the hanger, and none showing the plane being moved to the runway.

i think i am going to agree with the hoax theory on this.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:04 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,189 times
Guys, please note, there were no people in the aircraft video showing this test flight. A better view may be had with this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r3kpl5Ao5s

So, at the moment, it has been flown as a lightly loaded drone. If they can come up with a viable battery (and I certainly hope the succeed) then this should be an interesting design to watch.

Rich
Commercial helicopter and single-engine land, Pvt seaplane

Old 05-23-2017, 03:08 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
I'm real suspicious, those blades aren't large enough to generate aerodynamic effects like rotors on a chopper, and how do they develop enough thrust to lift the body without any compression? Even with our toy drones, look at the overall fan area to weight ratio, it seems pretty large and the Lilium doesn't seem to have enough. However, this company seems to have pulled in investors to the tune of millions, so maybe something to it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation