Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 04:45 PM

99 posts, read 328,946 times

Advertisements

It is hard to imagine that driving along 33rd st it was once packed with fans heading to & from sporting events. I believe the new sports complexes were needed and are at an ideal location. Memorial stadium was pratically smack in the center of Baltimore lacking access highways, parking and hotels. But, while it was there it was a fun house. Brooks, Boog, Frank and Earl for the Orioles. Then there was Tommy Shopay, Marcilino Lopez,Pete Reichert, Eddie Wise, and Merv Rettenmund. Colts were the real Baltimore thing. One concession stand I remember was the Leaning Tower of Pizza on the top deck. Not to mention there was a mezzanine level. I believe that the facade should of remained. I know true baltimoreans [bawlmerons] out there have memories to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 07:38 PM

418 posts, read 1,734,837 times
I loved Memorial and was opposed to them building Camden Yards... until the moment I set foot in Camden Yards. It's the best baseball stadium in the majors. Even with the O's sucking for the last decade, it's still great to go out there and see a game. And Ravens Stadium (I won't call it by its corporate name) is pretty sweet too.

Lots of great memories at Memorial. Lots of great new memories at the downtown stadiums. The crowds aren't nearly as nuts as they were on 33rd Street, but that's how it is all across baseball. It's a different era. (The crowds at Ravens games, on the other hand... still pretty off the hook!)

BTW, allowing that Hilton to block the view of the Bromo Seltzer tower from inside the seating bowl is one of the dumbest things the City Council has ever done.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:16 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
What's on the site now?

And to Lumerian Feast's last statment: you are way too correct. i think most agree

Old 06-30-2009, 09:37 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowh View Post
What's on the site now?
A YMCA, senior housing, and a playground.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:06 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,018 times
I drove down 33rd St for the first time in years just yesterday, and although I knew Memorial Stadium was long gone, it was still a little bit of a shock and very sad to actually see it for myself. I have very fond memories of going to Orioles games there as a kid. My mom was a huge Orioles fan, and although my father wasn't that much into it, he would take the whole family because my mother so loved the games. I remember her keeping score on the scorecards that were in the programs.

Never went to a Colts game, but as an adult I saw quite a few football games there when the Baltimore Stallions of the CFL played there.

I wish they would have kept the facade, too. I thought that was the original plan. Does anyone know why that was scrapped?

Old 07-01-2009, 12:32 PM

134 posts, read 332,216 times
I don't know what they scrapped the facade, but I'm pretty sure Cal used some of the letters on the new Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:43 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,531 times
Cal did get the "Memorial Stadium" letters. Other parts of the memorial were moved to the area between Camden Yards and the football stadium.

I think it was deemed too costly and impractical to try to stabilize a large wall that was meant to be part of a larger structure, although people put up a fight for it.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:10 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
Great thread I miss the stadium very much. It went about the same time as my interest in attending pro baseball games. I went a couple of times to Camden Yards and it was OK I guess. But I loved sitting in the second deck above third base and seeing the row house neighborhoods over the Toyota scoreboard in the evening when it got dark during evening games. I miss the houses all along 33rd St all decorated up in orange and black when driving to the stadium, and parking in that big high school lot across the street. And there were all those vendors on the street. I was always amused by the bag of big fresh peanuts I would buy there. The bag was labeled "Old Virginia Peanut Co. Baltimore MD" During the last few years MARC ran special trains filled with O's fans from DC which were great fun.

Camden Yards just doesn't have the charm for me these days, much less the sport with its billionaire owners, taxpayer financed stadiums, and pampered millionaire players. Don't even get me started on the Lerners' "team" and publicly funded complex in DC

Old 02-08-2011, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,929 times
I think MLB was using a different name for Memorial Stadium, does anybody remember?
It was 2 words, it may have had something to do with the neighborhood...
I've been trying to remember for years now and it's killing me!!!
There was a sign for the exit on I-95, I remember seeing it clearly when I drove from Quebec to Florida in the 80's.
It sounded a little bit like Camden Yards... Can anyone help, please???

Old 02-08-2011, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,920 times
Default sure as hell do

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey jam View Post
It is hard to imagine that driving along 33rd st it was once packed with fans heading to & from sporting events. I believe the new sports complexes were needed and are at an ideal location. Memorial stadium was pratically smack in the center of Baltimore lacking access highways, parking and hotels. But, while it was there it was a fun house. Brooks, Boog, Frank and Earl for the Orioles. Then there was Tommy Shopay, Marcilino Lopez,Pete Reichert, Eddie Wise, and Merv Rettenmund. Colts were the real Baltimore thing. One concession stand I remember was the Leaning Tower of Pizza on the top deck. Not to mention there was a mezzanine level. I believe that the facade should of remained. I know true baltimoreans [bawlmerons] out there have memories to share.

I remember my father taking me there sitting in box seats behind the Orioles dug out, going on the field each season for Brooks to sign my baseballs, and having such a crush on Bobby Grich! Then as an adult I attended the last night game and Joan Jett performed and I cried like a baby knowing it was the last time t
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: