Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:43 PM

226 posts, read 363,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmacres View Post
Let’s be honest to the OP here people. The problem is most likely that your name sounds "black” and that is the bottom line. The crime in this city is off the charts, and the vast majority of the violent crimes within the city limits are carried out by African Americans. So when a person of color tries to rent in a "white" district, there is a natural reluctance on the part of the private owners in renting to them for fear of the renter bringing crime with them.

Now while that might sound racist (because it is), it is also the cold hard truth.
actually thats not entirely true, 99% of the criminals in this city are poor so they wouldnt have any credentials to live in federal hill, thats y there are background checks, credit checks, and even checking back with the potential tenants' previous landlord, this should be enough to weed out most if not all of the bad apples
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 06:14 PM

673 posts, read 1,187,187 times
Baltimore is a very segregated city....Baltimore city is predominately african american and many of its predominately african american communities have crime problems and the city is working very hard tryng to fix it. The city is trying to push poor black out of the city but its not really working. Mount vernon and fed hill have recently been gentrified so many of the owners of rentals tend to be cautious of african american tenants because of crime problems which is wrong. Baltimore needs to grow

Old 01-11-2012, 06:45 PM

611 posts, read 1,455,941 times
Maybe they are using your Email address to find your facebook page?

Old 01-14-2012, 09:48 AM

537 posts, read 768,910 times
This happened to me all the time when I lived in New England. Either the apartment is now rented (but being posted and reposted on Craigslist the same day/week), or the rent goes up by hundreds of dollars when you show up, or you inquire about an apartment and a no/poor credit sorostitute who needs a cosigner and whose boyfriend is in the military and coming home in 3 months walks in and they decide to rent to her (even though you're making plenty of money, have a steady job and multiple degrees, and excellent credit).

It happens. But it's very hard to prove.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:39 PM

274 posts, read 678,646 times
Ruler Ra. what an idiot. if that's a joke it's a mean one. I surely hope it is.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:33 AM

35 posts, read 56,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
Maybe they are using your Email address to find your facebook page?
maybe

Old 01-17-2012, 07:34 AM

35 posts, read 56,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanhvtnymd View Post
This happened to me all the time when I lived in New England. Either the apartment is now rented (but being posted and reposted on Craigslist the same day/week), or the rent goes up by hundreds of dollars when you show up, or you inquire about an apartment and a no/poor credit sorostitute who needs a cosigner and whose boyfriend is in the military and coming home in 3 months walks in and they decide to rent to her (even though you're making plenty of money, have a steady job and multiple degrees, and excellent credit).

It happens. But it's very hard to prove.
I agree and besides I do not want to go through the hassle of trying to prove it? I am not sure what I would accomplish?
Maybe I will move to DC and do a 45 minute commute everyday B'more B'more would have never guessed Mississippi maybe but not Baltimore guess you never no!!

Old 01-20-2012, 12:44 PM

142 posts, read 259,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j236 View Post
No I do not want to rent from someone who does not want to rent to me? I guess I am just trying to figure out if Baltimore is a undercover segregated city. Like I stated in my earlier post I am not a native of this city
Nothing undercover about it, really. People get "steered" all the time in all sorts of ways. Locals usually figure it out based on cross-streets or price points. It's also not strictly racist- Baltimore is incredibly class-segregated, as well.

That said, there's plenty of neighborhoods that aren't so bad in that regard anymore. And you can do way better with your money than Federal Hill.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 4,407 times
Default same Here

You are not alone. Let me first say I resided in Birmingham, Alabama for years. Never had one problem with being shown rentals in well to do neighborhoods. I am middle age African American female with an advanced degree. I moved to Baltimore in 2007. Federal Hill, Canton, Mount Vernon were all on my list, so I thought? I visited multiple websites that specialize in renting condos, townhomes, row homes. Usually I was able to schedule a showing from the agent. After looking at the unit, I would contact the realtor again informing the agent of my interest. I would also let the agent know that I would like to submit an application. 100% of the time when I would let the agent know I had a desire to rent a condo,townhome, etc in Federal Hill, Canton, Locust Point the listing would have already leased. I just felt I was being shown the unit because of Housing laws. Some realtors do not even return your call or inquiries. I was a frequent visitor of the realtor.com and cbmove websites. I called agents with cbmove.com(caldwell banker) to inquire about one of their listings and was usually told it is rented or let me call you back(never to here from the realtor again)! I relunctantly did not want to scream racism moving from Birmingham Alabama. I decided to have a white friend call about rental listings on cbmove.com realtor.com and ask about the same units. Immediatedly the white call was told the unit is available when can I show it to you? So now I have proof it is indeed racism so I guess the realtor companies have recieved that little wink from the owner of the property not to lease it to certain individuals. It is very disgusting almost to the point where I was given contact information to Dateline NBC and told to contact NBC so they could do a sting operation. I finally found a nice property management luxury buidling in downtown Baltimore that I absolutely love. Two bedroom two bath for 2000. a month a bit more than those privately owned condos I had interest in originally. So my friend either stress about it or move to a property management luxury building. There are several in the 21201 and 21202 zip codes with attached parking garages. Hope all is well.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:15 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times
I don't think you can classify that as not renting to all African Americans. First of all Craiglist is not the most realizable source, I would always prefer to me in person in a public setting rather in emails. You also must admit that culturally you will be more comfortable with people of your own culture in certain situations. I don't think that makes you particularly races, but simply being comfortable with people who you deal with the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: