Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 05:33 PM

675 posts, read 723,948 times

Advertisements

I live on the southwestern side of Baltimore City and drive in the area regularly. Almost daily I come very close to having an accident, sometimes avoiding a serious one. Individuals pass me at high rates of speed in the turn lane, run red lights and stop signs, open their car doors into the traffic lane and stop in traffic to have lengthy conversations with pedestrians walking on the sidewalk. This winter I saw a first. When it snowed individuals pulled into the street blocking traffic while they shoveled out their parking place without any regard for others stuck behind their car. Drivers frequently made u turns even if meant cars going in the opposite direction had to stop for them. I saw one women do a u turn on a bridge in Catonsville halting traffic in both directions. Still another stopped in traffic at a green light blocking her lane and forcing others to cross the yellow line into on coming traffic, even after the light changed multiple times. People were blowing their horns yelling at her but she didn't pay them any mind what so ever. I don't know how to interpret people's mentality who drive like this. Are they just ignorant, stupid, narcissistic, bad drivers or what ? I happened to take a look at the automobile accident rate in Baltimore City and it was a real eye opener. In a study conducted by Allstate Insurance Company it ranked Baltimore as almost the worst possible city to drive in. Allstate studied 200 cities in the US and ranked them from the best city to drive in a "1" and the worst a "200". Baltimore was "195", making it one of the cities you are most likely to have an accident in. When take into account that we also have one of the highest homicide rates, what does that say about the residents in Baltimore City ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 06:21 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,574 times
Quote:
I don't know how to interpret people's mentality who drive like this. Are they just ignorant, stupid, narcissistic, bad drivers or what ?
I'm not sure what it is myself. For sometime I thought the city was plagued with the bulk of the areas rude/aggressive drivers, but the wealth has seemed to spread over to the surrounding counties over the last decade or so, especially during rush hour. Despite what some people might think, or what someone drives, 99.5% of commuters do not hold positions that in the grand scheme of things are all that important. From personal observation, I find the bulk of aggressive drivers to be in middle class areas mostly in Howard and AA counties. Drivers in the city tend to be more urban aggressive which sort of goes with the territory. However, most Baltimore drivers are not as road savvy as say those in Manhattan.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:50 PM

74 posts, read 130,255 times
Ditto that Howard County comment. US 29 at 4 pm is the most dangerous collection of MeFirst egos with amateur skills and top dollar equipment since the North Korean space program.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:18 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,488,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debold4215 View Post
I live on the southwestern side of Baltimore City and drive in the area regularly. Almost daily I come very close to having an accident, sometimes avoiding a serious one. Individuals pass me at high rates of speed in the turn lane, run red lights and stop signs, open their car doors into the traffic lane and stop in traffic to have lengthy conversations with pedestrians walking on the sidewalk. This winter I saw a first. When it snowed individuals pulled into the street blocking traffic while they shoveled out their parking place without any regard for others stuck behind their car. Drivers frequently made u turns even if meant cars going in the opposite direction had to stop for them. I saw one women do a u turn on a bridge in Catonsville halting traffic in both directions. Still another stopped in traffic at a green light blocking her lane and forcing others to cross the yellow line into on coming traffic, even after the light changed multiple times. People were blowing their horns yelling at her but she didn't pay them any mind what so ever. I don't know how to interpret people's mentality who drive like this. Are they just ignorant, stupid, narcissistic, bad drivers or what ? I happened to take a look at the automobile accident rate in Baltimore City and it was a real eye opener. In a study conducted by Allstate Insurance Company it ranked Baltimore as almost the worst possible city to drive in. Allstate studied 200 cities in the US and ranked them from the best city to drive in a "1" and the worst a "200". Baltimore was "195", making it one of the cities you are most likely to have an accident in. When take into account that we also have one of the highest homicide rates, what does that say about the residents in Baltimore City ?
I've been saying this for years, Baltimore has the worst drivers ever and the worst traffic flow, too long lights, I could go on but you get the picture.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:37 PM

934 posts, read 1,062,984 times
I'm from New Jersey originally and resent when people here laugh about the NJ drivers stereotype. The driving here is far worse than anything I ever encountered in Jersey, believe me.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:07 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patz0709 View Post
Ditto that Howard County comment. US 29 at 4 pm is the most dangerous collection of MeFirst egos with amateur skills and top dollar equipment since the North Korean space program.

Totally true.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:06 PM

390 posts, read 506,549 times
Is it true that in some highly, drug infested areas at night....you shouldn't stop at red lights but just treat them as a blinking red light and roll through them slowly?

Old 06-06-2015, 05:31 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,092,838 times
Last week I was driving on 895 when four cars were exiting on my right. The car in the front hit an orange construction cone which rolled back into traffic after the front car hit it and kept driving. The second car slammed its breaks and created a bumper car fiasco. I couldn't believe it... as the first car drove off like nothing happened. At the same time, maybe this is why we shouldn't ride people's bumpers in the first place?

I have never seen driving like this in my life. D.C driving is not as ignorant and self absorbed like Baltimore. People drive 30 mph over city street speeding limits, cut you off without blinkers to zig zag around another car that's only going 10 mph over. Drivers going through yellow bus stop stop signs when kids are around. No cares are given for emergency personnel that need to get by. Drivers never let voluntarily let you in If your behind a bus or double parked car so you sit their for 2 minutes. Finally a break in the traffic but the car behind you selfishly goes before you... Rude!! I have almost gotten hit numerous times, including just recently someone went straight through a green turn light and almost hit me when I had the other left green turn!! This is not some sort of mystery or lack of money in education. It's plain ignorance, selfishness, and lack of respect and integrity of the driving laws. Then if they get pulled over for violating any of these traffic laws, 'its racism and police brutality!!" Driving through North Baltimore is much more pleasant and less chaotic that the rest of the city. I feel that my life is at risk behind the wheel so someone can get in front of me at a red light. Unbelievable.

Until next time... end rant/

Old 06-06-2015, 05:55 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,574 times
Quote:
Last week I was driving on 895 when four cars were exiting on my right. The car in the front hit an orange construction cone which rolled back into traffic after the front car hit it and kept driving. The second car slammed its breaks and created a bumper car fiasco. I couldn't believe it... as the first car drove off like nothing happened. At the same time, maybe this is why we shouldn't ride people's bumpers in the first place?

I have never seen driving like this in my life. D.C driving is not as ignorant and self absorbed like Baltimore. People drive 30 mph over city street speeding limits, cut you off without blinkers to zig zag around another car that's only going 10 mph over. Drivers going through yellow bus stop stop signs when kids are around. No cares are given for emergency personnel that need to get by. Drivers never let voluntarily let you in If your behind a bus or double parked car so you sit their for 2 minutes. Finally a break in the traffic but the car behind you selfishly goes before you... Rude!! I have almost gotten hit numerous times, including just recently someone went straight through a green turn light and almost hit me when I had the other left green turn!! This is not some sort of mystery or lack of money in education. It's plain ignorance, selfishness, and lack of respect and integrity of the driving laws. Then if they get pulled over for violating any of these traffic laws, 'its racism and police brutality!!" Driving through North Baltimore is much more pleasant and less chaotic that the rest of the city. I feel that my life is at risk behind the wheel so someone can get in front of me at a red light. Unbelievable.

Until next time... end rant/
lol so true! These are the same people in traffic court who say they were running late to a puppy charity event while promising to be more mindful in the future. Usually in front of the same traffic court judge whom 8 times out of 10 is the worst/most aggressive driver on the road. For some reason out in suburbia, the soccer moms in their Dodge Caravans have a habit of driving on my bumper no matter the speed I am traveling.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:27 AM

236 posts, read 251,397 times
Well, I just sent this entire thread to hubby and said 'see, it's not just me...'

After an accident about a year ago caused by someone else being careless/aggressive, I've become extra aware. Near misses, caused by others, nearly every day. Typically rush hour related. Some tailgating, but mostly people changing lanes and cutting people off without paying attention. It's been hard to overcome the post-accident fear. Not there yet.

I'm leaving the state -- for many reasons, but this is certainly one. I don't like feeling afraid to go anywhere. I know this can happen anywhere, but I've lived in a number of different places in different states, including urban, and this is the worst driving experience by far.

Now, having said that, driving here is not nearly as bad as driving in some european countries -- Italy/Sicily for example. There, routine driving can be a full contact sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: