Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Baltimore should just transform itself into a city totally based on health care. Hopkins practically owns half the city already, just convert already. More people would move here for jobs. I see new projects improving housing that's aimed for middle class all over the place in Bmore. Bmore is in a really good location to be a health and biotech industry hotbed. They should give big tax breaks for new biotech companies that create jobs in the city and cut down on red tape.
I think the last thing you should want as a city is to become a one trick pony as far as industry. Look at Detroit now and look at what happened to Pittsburgh back in the 70s. There will always be a need for healthcare but you never know, it could be turned over to the gov't or other factors could cause a demise.

One of the great things about Baltimore is it's a diverse economy. Healthcare and finance are certainly the two biggest industries, but the Tech world is soaring in this city right now thanks to startups, tech gov't work needed, and everyday needs for companies. Baltimore also has a solid real estate industry, tourism, insurance, port, and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
Anyone who is very familiar with Baltimore knows there is a ton of positive things going on in this city, and tons of neighborhoods making turnarounds, but as long as the population decreases many naysayers will only point to that. Homicides are down a ton since the days that created The Wire, and population is now had a steady year followed by a year of increase. I'm sure many will find reasons to say Baltimore isn't improving (which is insane if you compare now to the 80s), but now they can't use population decrease... at least for a year.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I was just reading about this on another site.

This city has so many good things going for it. Hopefully, this turnaround is the beginning of a trend.

I'm a little biased having grown up here, but I think this is one of the best cities in the world.

[URL="http://www.baltimorenewsjournal.com/2013/03/14/baltimore-populuation-increases-for-1st-time-in-60-years/"]Baltimore population increases for 1st time in 60 years[/URL]

Old 03-15-2013, 01:29 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
Anyone who is very familiar with Baltimore knows there is a ton of positive things going
on in this city, and tons of neighborhoods making turnarounds, but...
none of that is helped one bit by feel good sop pieces that use spurious statistics;
let alone those that support the fantasy that illegals are immigrants.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:04 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
none of that is helped one bit by feel good sop pieces that use spurious statistics;
let alone those that support the fantasy that illegals are immigrants.

1. They are immigrants by the usual definitions - thats why they are called illegal immigrants.

2. If you backed out illegal immigrants from all population data, that would change the data for most localities, and for the US population. But thats not how population data is kept.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:05 PM

342 posts, read 912,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamPilot View Post
Damn, pretty much ALL of the comments on the Sun article are negative...people talking about how this really isn't any good news, talking sh*t about immigrants and how crappy the city is, etc etc.

I consider myself an optimistic person...are these people really that pessimistic or are they correct when they present this news as being nothing to get excited about?
One thing you have to learn about the Baltimore sun and its comments section. 9 out of 10 people on that site similar to this form don't actually live in Baltimore City, they make generalized comments based upon ignorance and fear of diversity.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
baltimore should just transform itself into a city totally based on health care. Hopkins practically owns half the city already, just convert already. More people would move here for jobs. I see new projects improving housing that's aimed for middle class all over the place in bmore. Bmore is in a really good location to be a health and biotech industry hotbed. They should give big tax breaks for new biotech companies that create jobs in the city and cut down on red tape.
i thought we did that lol!!

Old 03-15-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I'm with you here. It's the outcomes that are most important... is the school effective? There are some neighborhoods that are in transition where an improved public school would be a boon and help things along... those should be a priority... and there are some schools that get pretty decent outcomes with low income students but could do even better with more staff and some building upgrades... I say focus on those. For the schools where the building is literally crumbling, well it makes sense to replace those, but in a case where the school is only half full as it is and all the kids are failing, well funding a new approach to teaching (and perhaps adding a social worker and the like) makes more sense than building a brand new building for people to fail in.
While they are not great schools in Baltimore are actually a lot better than they were 5 years ago, unlike most people I think Andres Alonso is doing an excellent job. Plus the city has a lot of highly selective programs that students can apply to.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Mostly Hispanics and DC commuters.

I agree lots of Hispanics, but I wouldn't be so quick to claim D.C. commuters, everyone says that but the honest trend for d.c. commuters is to live in Virginia, lower income taxes for high salary workers. I think Baltimore population will continue to grow, the hispanic population is continuing to grow and they are opening businesses, and i think its wonderful!! A more diverse Baltimore is a Better Baltimore. I believe a new trend in Baltimore is that a lot of area college grads are actually staying in Baltimore.

The area may not be appealing to a family of four with school age children but a single 20 something can enjoy everything the city has to offer and wont mind a little crime!!

Old 03-15-2013, 05:53 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,115 times
Quote:
Damn, pretty much ALL of the comments on the Sun article are negative...people talking about how this really isn't any good news, talking sh*t about immigrants and how crappy the city is, etc etc.

I consider myself an optimistic person...are these people really that pessimistic or are they correct when they present this news as being nothing to get excited about?
If the population had declined, the commenters at The Sun be crowing just as loudly.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:39 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
or are they correct when they present this news as being nothing to get excited about?
Or worse... maybe something to be embarrassed about?

Is 1100:600,000 (.00183) statistically significant or more like a rounding error?
How many of the 1100 are income & RE tax payers?
How about being known as a welcome place to live illegally?

You make your own judgments on these things.
In my view they detract from the actually good things being accomplished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: