Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:33 PM

31 posts, read 98,658 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was curious to discover what the people of Baltimore think of Otis Rolley for mayor. As someone who is considering a move to Baltimore City, I'm hoping that the people of Baltimore vote for a mayor who has a clear vision for the future of the city. And currently, most of the candidates for mayor seem like nice people with no clear vision or plan for the city that incorporates all the various issues the city faces. Even the current mayor (although she seems like someone who wants to get things done) doesn't seem as if she has a real vision for the city or fully understands how important it is to engage all the city's citizens when undertaking urban redevelopment. One of the most shocking development projects to me is the state center redevelopment. It seems like it will cost alot of money and ultimately have a negative impact on the downtown district. Planning decisions such as this seem odd to me, especially when having a vibrant more condensed downtown is vital for the successful renewal of most modern cities.

What do you think? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on who they would pick for mayor and why. I'd also love to hear more about everyone's vision for Baltimore City 10, 15, or 20 years from now. Even though I don't currently live there, I believe Baltimore could definately be a major player in the east cost region. It's harbor, location, cost of living, housing stock, and history give it synergies that most other east coast cities would have a hard time competing with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 05:17 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
I hadn't heard of him 'til right now. This (http://www.otisrolley.com/about.html - broken link) is his site.

The number 1 issue for me in Baltimore is improving the speed and reliabillity of public transit. So it's nice to know he's done work in that area. But I wonder, living in Cross Country, how often he uses it? I want to see some politicians on the bus.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:32 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
I'm for the first one who says "let's get tough on crime" and means it. That is the #1 most pressing issue for Baltimore. I also would like to see transit improve but that issue is more important on the state level.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:59 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,810,192 times
Default My 2cents

I knew Otis when he was planning director. I thought he was good but there are lots of disparagers who point to planning decisions that they don't like and blame Otis.
Also making noises about running is Jody Landers, a former councilman who has worked lots of years as the executive vp at the Greater Baltimore Board of Realtors.
With Steffy Rawlings Blake seeking re-election, it will be an interesting race.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:17 PM

8,244 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
I knew Otis when he was planning director. I thought he was good but there are lots of disparagers who point to planning decisions that they don't like and blame Otis.
Also making noises about running is Jody Landers, a former councilman who has worked lots of years as the executive vp at the Greater Baltimore Board of Realtors.
With Steffy Rawlings Blake seeking re-election, it will be an interesting race.

Yeah its always the lowly bureaucrat that gets blamed. No Planning Decision.. I mean NO PLANNING DECISION in this town gets made without the politicos weighing in on it. Planning and Zoning guide development and development means Big $$$ to politicos..(i.e. Prince George's County-Jack Johnson scandal, or our own Baltimore Sheila Dixon... you could probably add several other major and minor cities to the list as well) Sure the politicos can say " We rely on the professionals to advise us".. but ultimately they are going to make up their own mind and that is heavily influenced by $$$ and who ever is gonna make the $$$. Then John Q Public gets all bent out of shape over the tax breaks (ahem they too must be approved by City Council) and the development plan because of the traffic and potential gentrification and whatever other negative externalities that may occur and slam the planners.. Im not saying they are totally innocent but the buck(s) stops at City Hall just outside of Council Chambers.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:20 PM

805 posts, read 2,116,093 times
Looks like this could be an interesting election.

I heard about Otis a week ago but still haven't been able to find information on what issues/problems he plans on addressing with the city.

I'm looking for a candidate that will bring the property tax rate down considerably. Right now the rate is way too high and it's causing people to live in the suburbs. Reducing the rate could bring great changes to the city. It would cause more people to move to the city; therefore, the revenue would increase in the long run. In the short term there will have to be cutbacks and/or a big deficit. This is why I don't think Baltimore has done it before but having people want to invest in their property would cause the city to start growing instead of being stagnant. Neighborhoods could actually be revitalized by people that actually want to contribute to the city. Getting an influx of people that care about their home/neighborhood will reduce crime and help with the schools. Also, businesses will actually start really looking at moving to the city. This will bring more jobs then move people. I posted a link to a paper a few days ago about other cities that were in worse shape than Baltimore and reducing the property tax gave them a new life.

The State Center Project seems like it will be a boost for the area. It will create an area that people can work and live in which will be a benefit for the entire city. My understanding is that the State Center Project is mainly for the state employees and downtown isn't an option with how the buildings are designed. The state needs a center for the employees to work efficiently (here they come) and the current complex is outdated. Redoing State Center how it is currently designed is better than just renovating the current buildings and/or building more complex office buildings. The area where State Center is located is nice and the current design should benefit from the area and the area should benefit from the project.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:53 AM

8,244 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
Looks like this could be an interesting election.

I heard about Otis a week ago but still haven't been able to find information on what issues/problems he plans on addressing with the city.

I'm looking for a candidate that will bring the property tax rate down considerably. Right now the rate is way too high and it's causing people to live in the suburbs. Reducing the rate could bring great changes to the city. It would cause more people to move to the city; therefore, the revenue would increase in the long run. In the short term there will have to be cutbacks and/or a big deficit. This is why I don't think Baltimore has done it before but having people want to invest in their property would cause the city to start growing instead of being stagnant. Neighborhoods could actually be revitalized by people that actually want to contribute to the city. Getting an influx of people that care about their home/neighborhood will reduce crime and help with the schools. Also, businesses will actually start really looking at moving to the city. This will bring more jobs then move people. I posted a link to a paper a few days ago about other cities that were in worse shape than Baltimore and reducing the property tax gave them a new life.

The State Center Project seems like it will be a boost for the area. It will create an area that people can work and live in which will be a benefit for the entire city. My understanding is that the State Center Project is mainly for the state employees and downtown isn't an option with how the buildings are designed. The state needs a center for the employees to work efficiently (here they come) and the current complex is outdated. Redoing State Center how it is currently designed is better than just renovating the current buildings and/or building more complex office buildings. The area where State Center is located is nice and the current design should benefit from the area and the area should benefit from the project.

I agree that reducing the property tax rate could help and raising the penalty on absentee landlords of vacant properties. At the same time, the City needs to expedite the transfer of their own vacant properties to developers seeking to redevelop and give them a reasonable time period in which they can make the improvements.

Its going to be problematic to trim the bureaucracy. I bet the majority of City works are both unionized and city residents.. which means they can vote. They will certainly punish any politico that votes to reduce the civilian workforce..How does bmo stack up against other cities of similiar size? Do we have more city employees per capita based on our population? I think if we do, that should be the starting point for the reduction conversations.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:46 AM

805 posts, read 2,116,093 times
I found this post on the Baltimore Sun:
An agenda for Baltimore's next mayor - Baltimore Sun

It's a great outline for what the next mayor needs to address.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:51 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
I don't often think about property taxes because I'm not a homeowner, and I don't think about schools because I'm not a parent, but these are two crucial issues as well. The housing crash has made the counties more affordable and so the young professionals who got married and moved to Federal Hill at 25 are probably going to be moving to Ellicott City or somewhere else at 35. We need to do something to keep these people here. I think Andres Alonso has done a fantastic job in the schools and hopefully he can begin selling the schools to transplants before they flee for the counties.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:16 AM

158 posts, read 395,850 times
Default Taxes and Schools....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I don't often think about property taxes because I'm not a homeowner, and I don't think about schools because I'm not a parent, but these are two crucial issues as well. The housing crash has made the counties more affordable and so the young professionals who got married and moved to Federal Hill at 25 are probably going to be moving to Ellicott City or somewhere else at 35. We need to do something to keep these people here. I think Andres Alonso has done a fantastic job in the schools and hopefully he can begin selling the schools to transplants before they flee for the counties.
As someone looking to move to Baltimore, you've hit the nail on the head. I'm more concerned with giant property taxes and having to send my kids (if we have any) to private school than anything else - - even crime (although I'm hopeful that Bernstein can improve the crime situation, too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore