Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 09:57 PM

19 posts, read 57,418 times

Advertisements

I'm spending a "weekend" day traveling from Baltimore to DC/Arlington. I would prefer to bring my car and drive but I think with the hassle of trying to find parking or actually having to pay for parking in the DC/Arlington area it would be easier to take the train.

I'm not too familiar with Baltimore's Penn Station at night and I'm a concerned for my safety if I were to park in a garage and have to return to at night. I'm thinking of using the Marc Train in Halethorpe instead of Penn Station.

1. Is it safe to park and walk to the Penn Station at night? What is the cheapest garage at Penn Station for a day?
2. Any information on the Halethorpe Marc Station - is it safe at night? And how much would parking cost?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by February; 08-15-2013 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: one more question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 10:05 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by February View Post
I'm spending a "weekend" day traveling from Baltimore to DC/Arlington. I would prefer to bring my car and drive but I think with the hassle of trying to find parking or actually having to pay for parking in the DC/Arlington area it would be easier to take the train.

I'm not too familiar with Baltimore's Penn Station at night and I'm a concerned for my safety if I were to park in a garage and have to return to at night. I'm thinking of using the Marc Train in Halethorpe instead of Penn Station.

1. Is it safe to park and walk to the Penn Station at night? What is the cheapest garage at Penn Station for a day?
2. Any information on the Halethorpe Marc Station - is it safe at night? And how much would parking cost?

Thanks in advance
Where are you walking from to get to Penn Station? A long while back, some student was robbed and killed at Penn Station walking home. Anyone remember that? He was talking on his phone to his mother when he was attacked, robbed and killed. Doubt it would happen, but I honestly wouldn't go skipping around in ANY major city by myself. Take the circulator, or hop a cab.

My neighborhood in Remington has had three assaults in the last two days. One of my neighbors was attacked, and broke his shoulder. Some stupid punks are riding around attacking people that are walking and jogging alone. The same cats that attacked him, showed up at the same spot and attacked a woman, took her purse and pushed her to the ground.

Don't want to alarm you but my point is, take a cab....especially at night, and definitely if your walking alone. Me? I would just drive, it's faster and parking garages are reasonable...compared to DC.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:07 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Where are you walking from to get to Penn Station? A long while back, some student was robbed and killed at Penn Station walking home. Anyone remember that? He was talking on his phone to his mother when he was attacked, robbed and killed. Doubt it would happen, but I honestly wouldn't go skipping around in ANY major city by myself. Take the circulator, or hop a cab.

My neighborhood in Remington has had three assaults in the last two days. One of my neighbors was attacked, and broke his shoulder. Some stupid punks are riding around attacking people that are walking and jogging alone. The same cats that attacked him, showed up at the same spot and attacked a woman, took her purse and pushed her to the ground.

Don't want to alarm you but my point is, take a cab....especially at night, and definitely if your walking alone. Me? I would just drive, it's faster and parking garages are reasonable...compared to DC.
This is the student....again, it was a few years ago.

Hopkins Student Stabbed | Hopkins researcher's promising life cut short in robbery - Baltimore Sun

Old 08-16-2013, 05:05 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,701 times
Going north towards Penn Station isn't that bad. I've walked to Penn Station from Mt Vernon at different times of day/night and haven't come across any sketchy situations so far. Walking south towards Penn Station though, depending how far you're coming from, may be a different story though.

As with ANY city, there is always the possibility of something going wrong. Be alert and aware of your surroundings.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:15 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Drive to Greenbelt and take the Metro? I think parking is free on the weekends. And MARC doesn't run on weekends yet.

That is of course assuming you actually are referring to the weekend - no idea what "weekend" means.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:29 AM

89 posts, read 208,190 times
You will need to take Amtrak to DC on the weekends until they start weekend MARC service, which I don't think will happen until later this year. Penn Station is fine at night, just don't wander too far north. There is a parking garage onsite. You can probably find the daily rate on their website. You could also drive to one of the northern Metro line stops to avoid Amtrak.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:24 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,488,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeliz View Post
You will need to take Amtrak to DC on the weekends until they start weekend MARC service, which I don't think will happen until later this year. Penn Station is fine at night, just don't wander too far north. There is a parking garage onsite. You can probably find the daily rate on their website. You could also drive to one of the northern Metro line stops to avoid Amtrak.
This is your best option. The Bolt Bus leaves from Penn too, but don't know if it heads south. Thoses buses usually head north.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:26 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,701 times
Bolt Bus originating at Penn Station goes straight to Newark & NYC.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:18 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
I like Baltimore, but except for that $3 lot in Little Italy, every parking lot I've ever found in DC is cheaper than Baltimore. I'd just drive it, especially on a weekend. It isn't that hard to park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: