Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:23 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times

Advertisements

Santoni's Supermarket closing - Baltimore Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:18 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I saw that article yesterday.

Maybe someday Santoni will explain his real reasons.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:42 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
Lmao!! I read this. People are claiming that his bad business practices is the real culprint in this situation!!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I saw that article yesterday.

Maybe someday Santoni will explain his real reasons.
LOLOL!!

Old 10-15-2013, 10:50 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Canton Crossing's Harris Teeter? Changing Demographic? Seems like Highlandtown is becoming more Latino and Young Urban Professional.. both which may choose other options as opposed to his store?

Old 10-15-2013, 10:52 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
The new Targets in the neighborhood also sells groceries. Not to mention Highlantown Market has really cleaned up their act. The guy who runs Santonis has also decided to enter politics running as a state rep.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:11 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
The mayor says that Santonis is closing because of the bad economy. Mr. Santoni says they are closing because of the bottle tax. I know that mayor thinks she is God, but does she actually think she knows more than the person who keeps the books and runs the store? And does she think everyone is stupid enough to believe her? The answer to both questions is "yes".

The Baltimore Sun, a paper that is blind, deaf, dumb, and liberal, just like the mayor, recently accused Santonis of raising prices to take advantage of customers using food stamps. Just wait until they see what customers on food stamps will be paying for food after Santonis closes.

Santonis, owned by a family that gives back to the community, has been a great corporate citizen for many decades. The mayor, the city council, and the Baltimore Sun should be expending their energy bringing and keeping business such as Santonis into the city, instead of bad mouthing a business that has brought quality foods and low prices into the community, and served the community well for many years.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:06 PM

From what I have heard....the City does have a sort of luke warm attitude towards small businesses.. that could be compounded if they are not politically "connected". Seems like most small businesses here struggle when it comes to dealing with the City.. unless they are part of an organized Merchants Association/Business Association and can bring collective "heat" on politicos. Many neighborhood business districts are struggling. Not just because of the economy but with crime, bad neighboring businesses/uses, parking, imagine/marketing etc. Places like York Road/Govans, Washington Blvd, Harford Road/Lauraville, Hamilton, Fells Point, Fed Hill, Highlandtown, seem to be doing well.. While areas like Waverly, West Baltimore Street, Howard Park, Garrison at Liberty Road, Walbrook Junction, Irvington, Park Heights, West Pratt St Morrell Park, East Monument Street, and Brooklyn continue to struggle for one reason or another with some of these issues listed above. I like what the County has done for areas like Pikesville, Parkville, and even Essex and Dundalk's neighborhood commercial areas. Even Windsor Mill has some signs of life/activity.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
The new Targets in the neighborhood also sells groceries. Not to mention Highlantown Market has really cleaned up their act. The guy who runs Santonis has also decided to enter politics running as a state rep.

I was out there over the weekend at Mission BBQ. The line was out the door. I can see that Center becoming crowded once all the stores open up in there.. I like how it is directly across from Brewers Hill development...creates a nice commercial node for that end of the City with national/regional retailers in the City.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:44 PM

That word "lukewarm" is an understatement!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
From what I have heard....the City does have a sort of luke warm attitude towards small businesses.. that could be compounded if they are not politically "connected". Seems like most small businesses here struggle when it comes to dealing with the City.. unless they are part of an organized Merchants Association/Business Association and can bring collective "heat" on politicos. Many neighborhood business districts are struggling. Not just because of the economy but with crime, bad neighboring businesses/uses, parking, imagine/marketing etc. Places like York Road/Govans, Washington Blvd, Harford Road/Lauraville, Hamilton, Fells Point, Fed Hill, Highlandtown, seem to be doing well.. While areas like Waverly, West Baltimore Street, Howard Park, Garrison at Liberty Road, Walbrook Junction, Irvington, Park Heights, West Pratt St Morrell Park, East Monument Street, and Brooklyn continue to struggle for one reason or another with some of these issues listed above. I like what the County has done for areas like Pikesville, Parkville, and even Essex and Dundalk's neighborhood commercial areas. Even Windsor Mill has some signs of life/activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore