Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 04:05 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
All the black people you just mentioned are bought and
paid for by TPTB. It does not matter whether they are
conservative or liberal. They offer black people nothing
but platitudes and promises. Al Sharpton is so deep in
President Obama's pocket that he hands him his keys when
he reaches for them.
Actually, the folks I mentioned earned their way and despise equality of outcome, sharing-the-wealth, preferential treatment etc. They have no interest in offering anyone any gifts or goodies or freebies nor should they; but what they made of themselves and how they did it should inspire all people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 04:14 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmath View Post
I would not say it upsets me,but having grown up in Baltimore and seeing it become the cesspool it has become saddens me.
I moved to new England form Md.I visit Boston often which is about the same size as Baltimore. Although it is more expensive to live in Boston it is much safer and a lot cleaner. Blacks make up a very small percentage of the population here compared to Baltimore.

I do not think Left wing policies have much to do with it. Mass. is every bit left wing as Md., but has a lot less crime.
Exactly.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmath View Post
I would not say it upsets me,but having grown up in Baltimore and seeing it become the cesspool it has become saddens me.
I moved to new England form Md.I visit Boston often which is about the same size as Baltimore. Although it is more expensive to live in Boston it is much safer and a lot cleaner. Blacks make up a very small percentage of the population here compared to Baltimore.

I do not think Left wing policies have much to do with it. Mass. is every bit left wing as Md., but has a lot less crime.
Most dangerous U.S. cities - Detroit (1) - CNNMoney

Poorest cities all have Democratic mayors - snopes.com

Old 12-18-2014, 07:26 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,920 times
I have said this before, but I will say it again. While some white people may be upset that Baltimore is a black city, a huge portion of the city’s majority black population doesn’t have any particular interest in living in a majority black city, or any city.

I will go a step further. That fact that Baltimore is a black city is an accident of history, a combination of the great migration out of the south into a cities like Baltimore that offered opportunities at that time. At the same time, the city was losing its majority white population to suburbanization. In other words, two migrations were taking place at almost the same time. The outward migration of white people was probably hastened by declines in the city’s quality of live, but it would have happened anyway.

In my experience, the black majority population has no strong attachment to urban life. Instead, the attachment to the city is driven by very real attachments to family, friends, and institutions. While these attachments are quite real, they inevitably dissipate over a period of generations.

If Baltimore has a future (and I believe it does) that future will be driven by people of all races that want to live at least part of their lives in a city, people making conscious choices over lifestyle. Regardless of race, Baltimore will besuccessful when most of its residents want to live here. Sadly, this is probably not the case right now. Realignment of the population towards voluntary urbanists has been taking place over the past decade but, at the rate we are going, the process will take generations.

Five or six years ago I ran into a young white guy, an apprentice electrician that had grown up in Remington. He had recently moved to Perry Hall. He seemed very bitter about what he characterized as the rapid decline of Remington. Ironically, white hipster types were swooping into Remington at the very same time. Was Remington unlivable for white people at that time? Hell no. Instead, he wanted to live in the burbs and wasn’t interested in what his neighborhood was becoming. He bitterly explained his move based on blacks moving in (actually not true) and declines in the neighborhood’s quality of life. I don’t buy it. He wanted to move to Perry Hall; and that’s what he did.

A lot of the City’s current black residents have feelings about the city that are not all that different from the Remington guy’s. Perhaps they lack the resources needed to live where they would like, but their vague dissatisfaction is not all that different and a heck of a lot more difficult to resolve.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:45 PM

934 posts, read 1,063,209 times
This is an extremely limited and incomplete picture that is very misleading.

What do you have to say about all of the poverty stricken and primarily white rural areas that are under conservative leadership?

Cities in general tend to have Democratic leadership while more rural areas tend to be red.

It is a well-established fact that the reddest states take the lion's share of federal dollars, while blue states get the least back for their tax money.

Which States Take the Most From the U.S. Government? - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Old 12-18-2014, 08:48 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,488,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
This is an extremely limited and incomplete picture that is very misleading.

What do you have to say about all of the poverty stricken and primarily white rural areas that are under conservative leadership?

Cities in general tend to have Democratic leadership while more rural areas tend to be red.

It is a well-established fact that the reddest states take the lion's share of federal dollars, while blue states get the least back for their tax money.

Which States Take the Most From the U.S. Government? - Real Time Economics - WSJ
Yes.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:07 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
this is an extremely limited and incomplete picture that is very misleading.

Cities in general tend to have democratic leadership while more rural areas tend to be red.

which states take the most from the u.s. Government? - real time economics - wsj
+3

Old 12-19-2014, 03:05 AM

661 posts, read 1,248,566 times
when I first moved to MD in my teens, I thought the whole state seem to have a black flavor (ahem favor), that includes non-blacks. This was in PG County. I've seen non-blacks with black swag (whatever that means). The state having a black majority city also gave me the mindset that the whole state seem to "appear" ghetto (listen to the way people talk in the malls in PG County). It may be different now due to the diversity that happened in the last 5 years or so...

PG County is an expensive ghetto outside of the over $500,000 homes. The people living in those homes also have personality issues as well. They were high educated people considering the houses they lived in. I wonder which HBCU they went to? Everyone of them seem to have graduated without ever taking a class in interpersonal communication so that they would know how to act and or interact with people not like them. Attending HBCUs perhaps may have made most of these people racists and view others as "inferior". They call this "reverse" racism even though there really is no such thing, just racism. Calling something "reverse" is like saying such people have no racism in their blood but somehow it just popped out of nowhere so it became "reversed". Please!

Old 12-19-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:
I'd guess that the crime rates would be somewhat less.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:18 AM

225 posts, read 429,467 times
I see it more or less positively, I suppose, in that if you asked me if I wanted to move to a place that was 100% white, my response would be "hell no". I like diversity (not just black and white but all different groups, cultures, etc) and the one thing I hope and wish for is that Baltimore's "recovery", while slower than other East Coast cities, can include it's black population and not push them out. One reason I have hope in this regard is that the younger generation (mostly white but not all) coming in to revitalize certain neighborhoods are not obscenely wealthy. They're just middle-class folk. This slow pace of recovery with middle-class neighborhoods should not force out the blacks economically the same way I have seen it happen in other places, where houses bought for $15k are demolished to make a few half-million dollar condos on the same spot. It may still push them out "culturally" in the sense that they may prefer to self-segregate as whites move in. I don't judge people for that, you do what you feel comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore