Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 01:28 PM

934 posts, read 1,062,580 times

Advertisements

Don't listen to the haters. I second the recommendations of Hampden, Roland Park, or Mount Washington. I also think you'd like Mount Vernon if you want a little more of a city feel.

NoVA is nice if you want to be judged by how much money you make, what kind of car you drive, and other superficial nonsense, but in Baltimore people are way more down to earth and I'll actually take blue collar Baltimore over a cutthroat white collar environment any day. I grew up in a white collar area full of well off snobs and I hated it. Sure, there wasn't any crime. But, there wasn't much of anything else either. And all people seemed to talk about was what everyone else was doing ("Did you hear that so-and-so sent her son to the Downton Abbey Academy for Privileged Talented Gifted White Boys? I'm trying to get my son in next quarter."). Gets really old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 01:52 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Hampden or Mount Washington are your best bets. Both on 83 so they are a straight shot up to Hunt Valley both have elements of the arty stuff/odd bars/etc and both are a relatively safe.

Hampden is going to more hippy quirky in vibe. It's more urban and walkable. The populace is younger.

Mt Washington is going to be safer and the commute will be shorter. It's a bit of "former hipsters with kids" in vibe. It has a light rail station (look near the Mt Washington or Falls Road stops) and that train stops in Hunt Valley as well.

Mount Vernon can work but it's a bit tougher to have a car there and the commute via public transportation is also trickier. But it is very "urban progressive arts-loving sophisticate" and you might enjoy that vibe the most.

ETA: Oh, I forgot about Woodberry. That could suit your needs too.

The Baltimore board tends to be under-moderated and troll heavy, so take some of what you hear with a grain of salt.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:25 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionLady View Post
Best suggestion is to take little vacation - stay in the Timonium Holiday Inn - for instance. And explore what's near Hunt Valley.
I considered suggesting a motel/hotel visit, but they have dogs.

On a somewhat unrelated topic (but you kinda opened the door): How do you like MOM's? How would you compare it to Whole Foods?

Old 01-26-2015, 06:53 PM

850 posts, read 1,131,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
steppinthrax just comes on this board to **** all over everyone, nothing to offer, dude doesn't even live in Baltimore anymore
I lived in Baltimore for more than 10 years.

I was responding to the previous poster dogging NoVa. The OP indicated he once lived in NoVA. I was provided a comparison. I believe I'm providing very true and accurate facts about Baltimore v.s. other parts of MD.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:03 PM

850 posts, read 1,131,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
Don't listen to the haters. I second the recommendations of Hampden, Roland Park, or Mount Washington. I also think you'd like Mount Vernon if you want a little more of a city feel.

NoVA is nice if you want to be judged by how much money you make, what kind of car you drive, and other superficial nonsense, but in Baltimore people are way more down to earth and I'll actually take blue collar Baltimore over a cutthroat white collar environment any day. I grew up in a white collar area full of well off snobs and I hated it. Sure, there wasn't any crime. But, there wasn't much of anything else either. And all people seemed to talk about was what everyone else was doing ("Did you hear that so-and-so sent her son to the Downton Abbey Academy for Privileged Talented Gifted White Boys? I'm trying to get my son in next quarter."). Gets really old.
Actually I find quite the opposite in Baltimore. Many people are in general rude and the customer service sucks!!!! There is such a high pop serving so few cust service.

That Cut-Throat behavior you would probably find in NY or some other "pocket" of high competition. There are townhouses/apartments and all other types of living arrangements in NoVa, it's not 90210 or the Hamptons (or something like that).

Yes, there are occasionally those that feel that feel the need to brag about everything they own, but you simply stay away. When I got my job offer from DC, everybody at the table knew I was from Baltimore. I didn't feel any negativity. Since I've been working there I've been treated with high respect. In general DC/NoVA is a Transient area you have people from NC, PA, WV etc...

Old 01-26-2015, 09:38 PM

179 posts, read 356,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Focus on making the commute to/from the job in Hunt Valley easy.
If you aren't ready for suburbia yet... don't rush into it.

Look at the LIGHT RAIL maps and it's stops for a **walking distance** search from there.
Mt Washington Woodberry North Ave/MtRoyal

If you're willing to drive it (and have two cars) then go farther afield from that line.
Hey that's not what you said to me

Old 01-26-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuynh10 View Post
Hi everyone, new member to this forum, first post!

I am accepting a job by Hunt Valley and need advice on where to live in the Baltimore area. I'm originally from the DC area (Northern Virginia) and have little recollection of my trips to Baltimore except that Camden Yards and the harbor were awesome.

Moving from: Madison, WI, home of the polar vortex...we live in the hipster/hippy part of town, so good amount of farm-to-table restaurants and odd bars, close to parks for outdoors stuff and the dog
Living situation: have a wife, cat and dog...currently in the "tweener" stage of married life where we're past partying but won't have kids for another year or two
Rent limit: Hoping $1800 for a 2BR/2BA, prefer townhouse/single house, but open to apartments too
Other things we're looking for: place where commute to work is under 30 minutes, close to artsy stuff (my wife is an artist), safe (seems this is the hardest to pinpoint for me), close to public transportation, decent amount of restaurants close by

Any suggestions on neighborhoods, commute routes to avoid, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You can find some 3BD/2BA apartments in Cockeysville for about $1300 or less - I know because I'm moving to Baltimore as well and I'll be working in Hunt Valley

I did not see any townhome/houses that would rent in your range (I'm looking for temp housing as well) in that area, but I haven't really looked very hard because Mr. Rational has been pushing me to get a home along the I-83 corridor between Towson/Lutherville-Timonium/Cockeysville, "prices be damned" he said

Good luck!

Old 01-26-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post

The Baltimore board tends to be under-moderated and troll heavy, so take some of what you hear with a grain of salt.
Yes but please listen to Mr. Rational!

Old 01-26-2015, 09:52 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,447,811 times
No one is disputing that Washington is a highly educated region. Washington does have advantages over Baltimore.

But does that mean Baltimore is the land of ignorant hicks? After all, Baltimore is home to the great and mighty Johns Hopkins, both the university, hospital and school of public health. The University of Maryland has most of its professional schools in Baltimore. Several large investment firms are based on Baltimore (T Rowe Price and Legg Mason and what's left of Alex Brown). There are many highly educated and affluent households in Baltimore and its suburbs. I live in a Baltimore City neighborhood (yes, inside the city limits) where PhDs and MDs and MBAs are commonplace and household incomes are in the six figures. I am surrounded by Hopkins and UMD doctors and professors. From what I can tell all of us enjoy living in Baltimore.

Northern Virginia encompasses a large area. Some of it is nice, such as McLean and Great Falls and old Town Alexandra. Much of it is unremarkable suburbia like Herndon or Manassas. One doesn't boast to the world that they've "made it" by living in a townhouse in Manassas or a cape cod in Arlington. One of the common complaints among many higher paid residents of the Washington suburbs is that the cost of living and housing is so high so it makes the higher salaries a moot point, or they have to commute across a huge distance from Frederick or Calvert or even further in Northern Virginia to get a "nicer" house

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
NoVa generally has a high reputation. Most of the residence are highly educated and high income producers. Six-figure salaries are common (no, six-figures are considered min wage there). It's also not uncommon to live in a neighborhood where you neighbors consist of VPs, MDs, PhDs and Business Men. The next tier are federal contractors and IT workers all working in the DC/VA area and holding Sec Clearance. In addition you have a smorgasbord of shopping centers (Tyson's Corner, Ballston, Crystal City, Fair Oaks, Dulles). The schools in NoVa are some of the best. In some aspects the schools are better than Calvert County. So as a result it's a indication of success if you can afford a nice place in NoVa. It means you "really" can afford a home and a very high standard of living that goes with it. Baltimore has made itself into the new "curse" word.

Baltimore can't even hold a candle next to NoVa...... (As a matter of fact putting "Baltimore" and NoVa in the same sentence is a abomination).

One of the other reasons I left Baltimore was the lack of "high paying" positions. Many IT people simply leave and go to DC where they are guaranteed a six-figure position easy. If you say "computer" in Baltimore, people think about a calculator.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:14 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,456,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
I lived in Baltimore for more than 10 years.

I was responding to the previous poster dogging NoVa. The OP indicated he once lived in NoVA. I was provided a comparison. I believe I'm providing very true and accurate facts about Baltimore v.s. other parts of MD.
You come to a Baltimore forum to **** on Baltimore - really classy there dude...

You don't know Baltimore or DC as well as you think you do. I was born in DC, grew up right on the line have almost all of both extended families in that area, living and making money off ol' DC. I watched DC die and be reborn - glad you like what it is turning into.

Baltimore is in the process of rebirth, and it doesn't have the artificial power of the federal government almost solely behind its growth. Baltimore is a much more organic entity and very much has its own flavor. DC is a transitory place and you will find that sooner or later. People do not live birth to death in DC, do not miss DC, do not mourn its changes; DC is soulless, godless (unless you worship the flavor of the month, or congressional term). DC lacks pride and dignity, lacks identity. No one loves DC; they endure it as a means to an end. Best thing to come out of DC is go-go (do you know what that is?).

The OP has a job opportunity in Hunt Valley - I say congratulations. In this tight economy, this is to be celebrated. So well meaning posters offer helpful suggestions. You steppinthrax rain on this person's good fortune because you are an unhappy jerk who won't find better things to do. You left Baltimore, why don't you leave its forum too? I bet you aren't happy being a beltway bandit either, so you come here to spread your hate.

In case you haters haven't noticed (or won't acknowledge), Baltimore is growing. There are more college grads staying, more new housing units under construction, Hopkins still growing, Under Armour buying up property, median wage ticking up.

One is either part of the problem (like you haters, chicken little chicken ****s) or part of the solution (folks coming for jobs, folks creating jobs, folks rehabbing houses and building housing).

One last point for you haters that go on and on about crime in Baltimore - you can be a victim of crime anywhere and if you are not at least moderately self aware and street smart, you can get just as mugged and dead in DC as in Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore