Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:50 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,429,272 times

Advertisements

*Thought I'd share this piece of information.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...ry.html#page=1

Rawlings-Blake to focus State of the City speech on small businesses

By Luke Broadwater The Baltimore Sun

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake plans to make bolstering small business a focus of Monday's State of the City speech, pledging more funding for the city's Small Business Resource Center and $1 million for an "innovation fund" to help small firms acquire the latest technologies.
"It is very clear that small business is the backbone for a growing economy," Rawlings-Blake said.
The mayor's speech will be accompanied by the release of a "strategic plan" aimed at growing small businesses and entrepreneurship. Money from the planned innovation fund would go to businesses who want to buy, for example, 3-D printers or other equipment to expand their firms.
Under the plan, the budget for the Small Business Resource Center will double from $233,000 to $466,000, which will allow for the hiring of a Spanish-speaking translator.

Here are five things Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake plans to outline in her 2015 State of the City address. This year's speech will have an emphasis on small business initiatives.

The mayor also is calling for the creation of a website, called Econ View, that will allow residents and entrepreneurs to get updates on development projects in their communities.
Benn Ray, president of the Hampden Village Merchants Association, said he was glad to hear the mayor planned increased focus on small businesses — though he argued as much money should be spent on small businesses as larger ones. In recent years, city and state officials have approved millions in subsidies for some big businesses, he noted.
"At least equal, if not greater, effort should be made for nurturing Baltimore's local small businesses," Ray said. "If you're giving tens of millions in tax breaks to a business like Amazon, there should the same amount for small business to grow. I'd rather have Baltimore build its own Amazon instead of a corporate behemoth being lured here."

In 2013, state and city officials said they were able to lure Amazon.com to build a new warehouse in Southeast Baltimore by promising more than $43 million in tax credits. The company pledged to employ 1,000 people at its 1 million-square-foot distribution center in Baltimore.
City officials say Monday's plan represents an increased effort to help small businesses, and noted recent actions to bolster smaller firms.
In the past three years, city officials have given out $450,000 in so-called "micro-loans" to 21 businesses, including the software company Mindgrub Technologies in Locust Point and the popular ice cream shop, the Charmery in Hampden. Those loans led to the creation of 106 new jobs, city officials say. In January, the mayor announced she was reducing or eliminating dozens of fees that have bothered small businesses for years — including charges for having outdoor security cameras, lights and bike racks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 02:03 PM

Small business development is a good thing right?

Old 03-09-2015, 02:23 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,457,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Small business development is a good thing right?
Absolutely! Small business is a cornerstone of community. Its a way of helping people help themselves.

I think trends in the US economy are encouraging folks to do their own thing - entrepreneurship, small business, self employment. Can't get a job from someone else? Carve your own niche out of the economy.

I've been self employed for 16 years now. Its not all a bed of roses, but overall for me its great.

I think the micro loans are a great idea as well as streamlining/eliminating tick-tack fees on small businesses. As small businesses grow, the economy becomes more vibrant and that is good for all.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:59 PM

Agreed! I tried to hit like on your comment, but it will not allow me to like your postings more than once. Great input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
Absolutely! Small business is a cornerstone of community. Its a way of helping people help themselves.

I think trends in the US economy are encouraging folks to do their own thing - entrepreneurship, small business, self employment. Can't get a job from someone else? Carve your own niche out of the economy.

I've been self employed for 16 years now. Its not all a bed of roses, but overall for me its great.

I think the micro loans are a great idea as well as streamlining/eliminating tick-tack fees on small businesses. As small businesses grow, the economy becomes more vibrant and that is good for all.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:03 PM

8,249 posts, read 13,371,930 times
yeah.. this is a good thing.. I just wonder.. Why now? I guess I should be happy with "better late than never" What I dont like about Baltimore Politicos is that the do all kinda of self serving BS and cater to all the special interest groups while holding their noses to the voters.. THEN 3 and a half years into their term.. they start doing sensible sheet like neighborhood and small business development, quality of life stuff that people far from the Inner Harbor can see and feel.. Then we put them back into office and they revert back to holding their noses.. Why can Mayors make sensible decisions like this the other 3 and a half years of their term and not just in the run up to the primary and the general election.....SMH

Old 03-09-2015, 05:17 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,457,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
yeah.. this is a good thing.. I just wonder.. Why now? I guess I should be happy with "better late than never" What I dont like about Baltimore Politicos is that the do all kinda of self serving BS and cater to all the special interest groups while holding their noses to the voters.. THEN 3 and a half years into their term.. they start doing sensible sheet like neighborhood and small business development, quality of life stuff that people far from the Inner Harbor can see and feel.. Then we put them back into office and they revert back to holding their noses.. Why can Mayors make sensible decisions like this the other 3 and a half years of their term and not just in the run up to the primary and the general election.....SMH
I don't know the answer to that but I imagine that a lot of time is spent early in terms satisfying donor/developer desires.

SRB has done some good things - she realized and addressed the pension problems (IIRC these were exacerbated by O'Malley?). SRB has an indifferent public presence; she's not approachable (remember "don't call me Stephanie, we aren't friends" at a hearing early in her mayoralty?), doesn't strike me as a politician who would hear me out on concerns over a cup of coffee. And I really don't like the sweetheart no bid city contracts in the face of decent competition or patronage jobs to friends. SRB seems to be pacing herself, aspiring to higher office (natl Dem party meetings, visiting other cities etc).

Sorry, OT commenting on the mayor's tenure on whole. Who knows why SRB is doing sensible stuff now; maybe she thinks its time to do those things; maybe the economy has turned around enough to afford these things, maybe its altruistic efforts in the thoughts that she may not be mayor again.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:56 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times
Well I'm just going to be glad she's doing it and hope for the best.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:50 PM

389 posts, read 427,379 times
This is great news!!

Old 03-09-2015, 07:45 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,476,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
How is this behavior different from the average politician? Why single out Baltimore for something that goes on across the country? Voters always get a few goodies before election time.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:13 PM

777 posts, read 882,228 times
".........will allow for the hiring of a Spanish speaking translator."

Is this part of SRB's 10,000 New Citizens of Baltimore plan?
Will these business start ups will be offered to out of towners
instead of residents?

Will Baltimore residents only be offered low wage jobs in these
businesses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: