Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 08:23 AM

4 posts, read 9,490 times

Advertisements

We are planning to buy a house in howard county (prince range $550k to $ 650k)
We have 2 small kid who will be going to primary school soon. So our number one priority is safe neighborhood with good schools. We would also prefer a relatively new house with a good backyard for the kids.

I have been doing some research and I'm particularly interested in getting some feedbacks on rockburn area (elkridge), laurel(near reservoir high school) and marriottsville.

Please let us know if we will be able to find a good house with our price range and how you would you rate these three localities

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 06:27 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
The Rockburn area is a very nice place to live. Rockburn Branch Park is a wonderful amenity, and is far less crowded than some of its better-known sister parks, like Centennial Park. The area served by Rockburn Elementary School (a very good school) is along Montgomery Road from Meadowridge Road in the west to I-95 in the east. There are several neighborhoods in that area that have the kind of houses you're looking for, and right in your price range too, including Rockburn Township and Rockburn View. These areas were developed in the early 1990s, but they're holding up quite well. Even though this area appears to be built-out, they're still managing to squeeze a few new houses in, even now. There are several being built right now, right on Montgomery Road just a tiny bit west of the school. Most of the houses on Montgomery Road itself are older and smaller (though with bigger yards); it's in the neighborhoods that are built on some of the side streets off Montgomery that you'll find what you're looking for.

Another place to look is the Lyndwood community, located off Marshalee Drive, which was developed in the late 1990s. It also feeds into Rockburn E.S., and it's conveniently close to a small shopping center that includes a Giant supermarket. Prices there are a bit higher due to the Timbers of Troy golf course (around which Lyndwood was built), but you could probably find something at the top of your range.

Marriottsville covers a fairly large area, though what you're looking for would probably best be found in the Waverly Woods neighborhood, just to the east of Marriottsville Road, north of I-70, and south of Old Frederick Road. It's an attractive area, and it has a shopping center (including a Weis market) located conveniently in the neighborhood. To the south of I-70 is Turf Valley, but that's almost certainly out of your price range. But they just got a Harris Teeter supermarket!

The big residential area near Reservoir High School is Maple Lawn, which is built in what I believe is called the "new urbanist" style. The houses there are all new (10 years or younger, I believe) and they're still building more. I love the architecture and design style of the houses there, and a friend of mine who lives there tells me that it's a very friendly, sociable neighborhood. And they have a Harris Teeter there too. But the houses are set very close together and their yards are almost non-existent. And in any case, I highly doubt that you'd be able to find anything there in your price range.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:15 PM

9 posts, read 17,074 times
There are 41 Elementary schools, 20 middle schools, and 13 high schools and they are not all the same. The better the schools the higher the home price. If you live in Columbia you will pay an extra tax called CA also. There are a lot of factors to consider like lot size, parks, big neighborhood vs small, walk to school vs bus, pool, work commute. I have moved 5 times in Howard County and all for different reasons. I would be happy to help you navigate this search I am a realtor with Long and Foster and know schools and neighborhoods. Please feel free to call me with any questions. Bill 410 336 9039

Old 06-26-2015, 06:20 AM

Thanks very much @ bus man for the detailed reply.. Looks like Rockburn and Waverly area looks very promising. We will drive around the neighborhood soon... Thanks again

Old 06-26-2015, 07:01 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,306,102 times
Those are all nice areas; another posters' breakdown of the areas is pretty spot on.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:10 AM

Any other recommended areas other than the 3 I have listed?

Old 06-26-2015, 04:18 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,306,102 times
Are you looking in Ellicott City and Columbia too? What about Clarksville? Depending on how far west you'd consider going in Howard County; the western part of the county is great too. A bit rural in parts, definitely great neighborhoods with big yards; Glenelg is nice.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:04 PM

9 posts, read 17,074 times
Check out Terra Maria close to Waverly Woods. I live there we have old ruins that we do outdoor movies in and Halloween parties. Terra Maria does a campout in the open space where families pitch a tent cook marshmallows. Welcome to the Frontpage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore