Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2008, 09:56 AM

7 posts, read 20,458 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family will be moving to the Baltimore area from Bartlesville, Oklahoma in October. I was wondering if there is any one that has moved from the central/southern states and can tell me what I can expect. We have never lived on the east coast and other that one short trip to DC we have never been out there. What are the people like, etc? I have 4 children from 6 to 15 so we need a good family community and good schools. My husband is a health inspector and will travel all over Maryland so we really can live anywhere in the state or even Northen Virginia. We are nervous about making the transition Oklahoma to Maryland but would feel better if we heard from other people who made the same adjustment. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 01:19 PM

27 posts, read 74,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcrum View Post
Hi, my family will be moving to the Baltimore area from Bartlesville, Oklahoma in October. I was wondering if there is any one that has moved from the central/southern states and can tell me what I can expect. We have never lived on the east coast and other that one short trip to DC we have never been out there. What are the people like, etc? I have 4 children from 6 to 15 so we need a good family community and good schools. My husband is a health inspector and will travel all over Maryland so we really can live anywhere in the state or even Northen Virginia. We are nervous about making the transition Oklahoma to Maryland but would feel better if we heard from other people who made the same adjustment. Thanks!
I am originally from the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area. I left in 86 after high school, and have been in Tulsa ever since. I've been back a few times since. You may be in for quite an adjustment. I love the area cuz it's my hometown, but someone coming from Bartlesville? Hmm. Traffic, congestion, Mass transit is very present, unlike Oklahoma. Lot's of wonderful culture, and people on the move. People are everywhere in the DMV area, unlike Oklahoma, where people tend to gather at malls or grocery stores. The pace is much faster. But you've got the right idea in getting info from folks already living there, so I'll sit down now. Lol.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:02 PM

7 posts, read 20,458 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the comments it helps. I grew up in Tulsa and have lived in Dallas so I am not totally small town. We know it will be a big change but are looking forward to more cultural and social advantages.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:27 AM

17 posts, read 62,637 times
I'd look into the Westminister area of Maryland. Not as overdeveloped as close in to B'more or the DC/MD suburbs.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:41 AM

56 posts, read 264,585 times
I'm looking to move to your neck of the woods. Maybe we can PM one another and talk outside of the forum.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,269 times
baltimore city has lots to do, cheap housing and surprisingly good magnate/charter schools and some good public schools in the right neighborhoods. just do your homework on schools and move to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore