Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,356 times

Advertisements

I'm not from this area originally and I'm currently living in the city and enjoying it. But my goal is to move to a more rural area. I'd like to potentially buy an older colonial home or a cabin somewhere.

My job allows me to work from home. But I'd still have to drive in a few times a month. So I'm okay with living a maximum of 1 to 1.5 hours away from Baltimore city.

My top priority is to live in a place where you can get a lot for your money. And like I said, I am definitely interested in a rural place with cabins.

Thanks for letting me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 04:13 PM

45,431 posts, read 60,623,477 times
St. Mary's County
Southern Calvert County
Southern Prince George's County
Frederick County, west of Frederick city
Washington County
Southern Charles County, Nanjemoy area
Northern Baltimore County
Kent County
Harford County
Cecil County
Around Gettysburg in PA

Old 01-04-2016, 07:00 AM

222 posts, read 271,276 times
you may even want to consider west virginia

Old 01-04-2016, 07:15 AM

850 posts, read 1,132,789 times
Pretty much you are wide open if you have work from home capability. I live in Calvert County. I know many who work from home!!!

You can also try Northern Baltimore County (Cockeysville, Hunt Valley, Sparks).

Those will be within very commutable distance from Baltimore City AND are countryfied.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:18 AM

Northern Baltimore county unfortunately is probably one of the more expensive parts of Baltimore. It would be cheaper to go towards carroll county or harford county instead.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:57 PM

850 posts, read 1,132,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1484 View Post
Northern Baltimore county unfortunately is probably one of the more expensive parts of Baltimore. It would be cheaper to go towards carroll county or harford county instead.
Correct, which is one reason why Baltimore is never worth it.

You want cheap living you to the ghetto. You want good environments with OK schools and OK house size, you pay through the nose. While you can go to Calvert (pay less), get blue ribbon schools and 4 acres of land in areas where people generally don't remember the last time they locked the front door.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:41 PM

You are definitely entitled to your opinion but I would disagree with Baltimore never worth it. it has the close proximity to the city with the rural landscape without being too far away. Having grown up in northern Baltimore county I missed being able to go from the city to rural landscape within 30 min with plenty to do in between.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:31 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,094,200 times
Not everybody wants to own land that they have to take care of or deal with the obnoxiously overpriced houses in the county. The difference is the expensive houses in Baltimore are not even comparable to other similar houses in the state.

Did you take a look at Mount Washington?

Old 01-04-2016, 05:31 PM

7,022 posts, read 11,320,211 times
Important question:

Do you want to live in the "country" but be around other suburban commuter types?

or

Do you want to live in the country and and live around country people?

There is a big difference. If you want to live out of the way, but still be surrounded by neighbors with experiences in urban areas, places like northern Baltimore County fit the bill. If you want to live in a true rural community with rural people you would be better off looking at places like Carroll and Harford Counties (as mentioned.)

Be sure to think this over. Many a urbanite has found their dream living in the "country" spoiled when they find out it often comes with tractors, cows, the sound of hunting or target shooting, and rural people with traditional values (think guns, God, and country.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: