Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 08:10 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,371,930 times

Advertisements

Come on.. Really???!!!! More dangerous than Jo'Burg South Africa and Tijuana Mexico? Wow.. Im stunned....SMH....I guess we are the next District 9 for Alien Resettlement

The world's most violent cities revealed with 21 of them in Brazil | Daily Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 08:39 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,102,743 times
Not really sure about 19th (list doesn't include warzones, some places have no data, different criteria for what is a city based on the country etc) but yes, it is one of the more dangerous cities in the world within its city limits. That actually isn't anything new.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:23 AM

478 posts, read 809,992 times
To be honest, I really don't believe that statistic (and I'm not the type to run around minimizing the crime we have here). Most major cities in Latin America and Africa have very dangerous slums, worst and more desperate than even Baltimore.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:49 AM

504 posts, read 465,820 times
Oh, it's the Daily Mail FFS!

Old 01-29-2016, 10:07 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,102,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaadin View Post
To be honest, I really don't believe that statistic (and I'm not the type to run around minimizing the crime we have here). Most major cities in Latin America and Africa have very dangerous slums, worst and more desperate than even Baltimore.
Also, cities like Baltimore are actually smaller portions of larger metro areas. Baltimore city's murder rate is not an accurate reflection of the murder rate of Baltimore metro. It is actually a reflection of the murder rate of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the metro. We do not know if other nations have that same dynamic between city and suburbs and their murder rate reporting. Dangerous to compare murder rates between jurisdictions in different countries.

That being said, Baltimore is among the more dangerous cities in the world not located in a war zone. USA is the most violent developed nation. Bmore is one of its roughest cities. Many nations in Asia (expected) and Africa (contrary to many opinions) do not have high murder rates. I can see how Baltimore would rank high on a list like that when you factor in the difficulties and uncertainties underlying the creation of such a list.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:11 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,371,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
Oh, it's the Daily Mail FFS!

Yeah..I know that Baltimore is not Shangri la.. but it seems like everything coming out of the UK on Baltimore is extremely negative. Its like after the Wire.. the Brits are obsessed with Baltimore.. Maybe because Idris Elba was in it.. I don't know.. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few years British Airways will fly in to Baltimore and you will see double decker buses riding around West Baltimore full of British Tourists with cameras.."Here we go folks.. this is the neighborhood of 'Fredrick Gray' who perished whilst in the Constable's Custody on his way to the Pound..Alright lads lets get those windows up.. doors locked.. and off we go shall we@

Old 01-29-2016, 10:55 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yeah..I know that Baltimore is not Shangri la.. but it seems like everything coming out of the UK on Baltimore is extremely negative. Its like after the Wire.. the Brits are obsessed with Baltimore.. Maybe because Idris Elba was in it.. I don't know.. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few years British Airways will fly in to Baltimore and you will see double decker buses riding around West Baltimore full of British Tourists with cameras.."Here we go folks.. this is the neighborhood of 'Fredrick Gray' who perished whilst in the Constable's Custody on his way to the Pound..Alright lads lets get those windows up.. doors locked.. and off we go shall we@
British Airways already flies into Baltimore; daily nonstop service from London Heathrow. Now I know who the passenger loads consist of: tourists gawking at our post-apocalyptic Mad Max city!

Old 01-29-2016, 11:28 AM

690 posts, read 1,008,206 times
I can honestly say it doesn't feel like the 19th most dangerous city in the world my future predictions for this year is positive. I think if the riot didn't happen our murder rate would have been dramatically lower in 2015.

Bmore 13 murders down 13% from this time last year

Old 01-29-2016, 12:36 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,094,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernest Southernest C View Post
I can honestly say it doesn't feel like the 19th most dangerous city in the world my future predictions for this year is positive. I think if the riot didn't happen our murder rate would have been dramatically lower in 2015.

Bmore 13 murders down 13% from this time last year
Only because of the snow storm. The Baltimore Police Department pretends they have made a difference this month in crime reduction, and not considering the environmental factors. But I agree, crime in other parts of the world are different than crime in America IMO. An American oversea's for example has other external factors to worry about or a citizen in Latin America has other factors.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:08 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,429,272 times
Its like after the Wire.. the Brits are obsessed with Baltimore.. Maybe because Idris Elba was in it.. I don't know..

Honestly, I've met more Brits relocating and setting up businesses in Baltimore within the last five years, than almost anytime I've seen living in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore