Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 05:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,415 times

Advertisements

I actually approached my vehicle before the ticketing officer got there. "Whew", I said, "that was close." She responded by saying there was no grace period for parking tickets in Maryland and then proceeded to use her little machine to scan my parking stub (expired at 4:57 and it was now 5:04) and then walked past me to scan my license plate. She then said, "don't think I'm trying to be rude, but I need to place this under your windshield wipers" and literally reached past me to put the ticket under my wipers. Throughout, I'm standing there with my driver's side door -- and mouth -- wide open. She then said, "you can always go to court."

So, my question is: can I really? Is it going to cost me more than the thirty-some dollars of the ticket? Do I have a case since I arrived before the officer at my car even though the stub had expired a couple of minutes earlier?

Also, just wow. Have some humanity, lady. I'm a teacher, my car is a piece of junk and she could've clearly seen the two car seats for my toddler and baby in the backseat. So yeah, Merry Christmas, Baltimore City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 05:25 AM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Pay the ticket.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:29 AM

4,856 posts, read 3,282,699 times
So you were late? Why even ask the question?

Old 12-08-2018, 05:53 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroMateo View Post
I actually approached my vehicle before the ticketing officer got there. "Whew", I said, "that was close." She responded by saying there was no grace period for parking tickets in Maryland and then proceeded to use her little machine to scan my parking stub (expired at 4:57 and it was now 5:04) and then walked past me to scan my license plate. She then said, "don't think I'm trying to be rude, but I need to place this under your windshield wipers" and literally reached past me to put the ticket under my wipers. Throughout, I'm standing there with my driver's side door -- and mouth -- wide open. She then said, "you can always go to court."

So, my question is: can I really? Is it going to cost me more than the thirty-some dollars of the ticket? Do I have a case since I arrived before the officer at my car even though the stub had expired a couple of minutes earlier?

Also, just wow. Have some humanity, lady. I'm a teacher, my car is a piece of junk and she could've clearly seen the two car seats for my toddler and baby in the backseat. So yeah, Merry Christmas, Baltimore City.

Nope, guilty ,pay it.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:21 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,097,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroMateo View Post

And if she gives you a break someone else could use that as grounds for not getting a break. And next time someone will argue that they were only 9 minutes late. Then 11. She was doing her job, seems like she was polite and told you what your options were. Your job, the type of car, how many car seats has nothing to do with it. Pay the ticket.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:14 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,489,098 times
not worth the stress, pay the ticket.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:46 AM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
And if she gives you a break someone else could use that as grounds for not getting a break. And next time someone will argue that they were only 9 minutes late. Then 11. She was doing her job, seems like she was polite and told you what your options were. Your job, the type of car, how many car seats has nothing to do with it. Pay the ticket.
As a retired teacher, whose wife is still teaching, it pisses me off when someone uses being one as an excuse/justification/rationalization for something like this.

We had 4 kids, by the way.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:46 AM

8,247 posts, read 13,368,401 times
So...the late is late argument is certainly valid... That said, I have personally had a similar situation happen at Penn Station several years ago.. I was unloading several toddlers and an elderly grandmother at the station curbside before going to park in the garage as I was traveling with them.. I parked in the circle, got them inside.. went back to my car and there was a ticket on there. I was only inside for five minutes.. I pleaded my case to the Amtrak Police and after saying that I should have found an officer first before unloading so they knew my situation.. he bluntly said "go to court"

So, I did just that.. I went to court... the officer didn't show up.. case got thrown out. It cost me a few hours from being off of work.. but the ticket was $75 not $30. Also, this was Amtrak Police.. who I am sure have more important things to do than to show up in court over parking tickets...so I considered his advice to go to court pretty substantial. I say that to say.. the only way you would win is if the officer didn't show up.. Given that it is Baltimore City and they write a lot of tickets daily they more than likely will show.. it may not be worth you effort for $30

Old 12-11-2018, 04:24 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,773,896 times
Late is late.

I'd say there is about a 98% chance your ticket will hold up.

If the ticket is $30, you have to decide if the expected value of fighting the ticket (60 cents) is worth it. I'm guessing probably not.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:19 AM

5 posts, read 5,026 times
Just for the principal of the thing-go to court. Its unfair that you were cited and the officer could have used some discretion and earned the good will of a citizen by not citing you for being a few minutes late. Request a court date and the officer's presence. Then ask for a postponement if the date is not convenient for you. If they don't show up-case dismissed. Otherwise, plead guilty, pay the court costs, and I think the judge will reduce the fine. The judge will also take note that the officer cited you anyway for being a few minutes late and will look at futures cases with skepticism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore