Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 6,741 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Arial]I need your help. 5 years ago my husband and I bought a large split foyer home in Baltimore County from a friend who was going into foreclosure. The original owner had converted the home into a two family but not legallly. We kept it that way since it was always occupied by my daughter and her roomate. We totally remodelled the kitchen and all bathrooms are new. My daughter has 3 bedrooms, 2 full bath, kitchen, living room, dining room, deck, etc.on the top level.The roommate lives on the downstairs with 2 bedrooms, separate kitchen, entrance, walk out sliding glass door, bathroom etc. How do I go about legally converting this home to a 2 family dwelling so each can have control of their own utilities?[/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 07:31 PM

805 posts, read 2,116,093 times
I looked at a house in Baltimore County with illegal apartments and was told to get the zoning changed I would have to request a hearing. You have to let your neighbors know about the zoning change request and also show why the zoning should be changed. If other properties have apartments or maybe the apartment was built before 1940 (I think) then you should have a chance.

The zoning commission will have more info on it.
Zoning Commissioner (http://www.baltimorecountymd.gov/Agencies/planning/welcome/zoning_commissioner.html - broken link)

If you are caught with an illegal dwelling unit I was told that you can get fined and will have to remove the unit. The tenant(s) will have to leave the property and the landlord is responsible to pay them something.

Also, Baltimore County recently passed a law requiring most rental units to be registered.
Rental House Registration

Old 10-09-2009, 12:45 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Default Tread Carefully

I would agree with MrBoltonman.. the proper thing to do would be to get it legally approved.. BUT.... if it is not allowed by Zoning and/or you have to get a Variance or some other land use change/consideration.... the public hearing that usually follows will let you know what neighbors are your friends or foes. Technically, most "variances" are granted based on some hardship that was beyond your control and not on who shouts the loudest at a town meeting though that is sometimes questionable. Then again "hardship" is not interpreted as " oh i didnt know about that rule and now the work is done..please forgive me nah nah" .If you lose.. I think you can appeal to the Circuit Court but their decision would be final. After that.. the County now KNOWS you have the illegal unit and will likely force you into compliance... Ouch

Last edited by Woodlands; 10-09-2009 at 12:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore