Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 06:41 AM

536 posts, read 325,725 times

Advertisements

Aside from football that is the most competitive sport in the world and should not be compared to other disciplines, different kinds of sports like volleyball and rugby with limited number of nations that play them on a serious level were able to organize world cup which is taken seriously and respected. Why do you think baseball has failed with this format? I think there are enough countries that play baseball on serious level to organize something like that. Canada, United States, Mexico,Dominicana, Nikaragua,Venezuela, Japan, Korea, Taiwan and probably some other countries that I can't remember. It seems that there are more baseball playing countries than there are rugby playing countries, yet it never worked out to make a prestigous world cup out of it with various baseball playing nations participating and gaining respect by winning comparable to rugby or volleyball world cups. What do you tink are the reasons for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 10:02 AM

20,908 posts, read 9,612,424 times
After an entire season, plus a post season, I think most pitchers would be too exhausted to play yet another series.

I think it's fair to say that whoever wins the World Series, probably could beat any other team elsewhere in the world. The world's best players tend to come and play in the MLB. Not all of them, but a lot of them.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:03 AM

3,812 posts, read 4,711,861 times
One problem is if you are a good baseball player from X country you're probably signed by a major league team & playing in the minor leagues making $ as a job.

Then because of that the organization has control over you & who you play with.

Now, we've seen players get to play in the WBC but I think that's different & every 3 years.

But I just think because of players as early as 17 already with minor league teams it cause an issue to stay with your country & play for them.

And those sports rugby & volley ball are just not sports that are going to get enough Americans attention to watch.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:06 AM

3,812 posts, read 4,711,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
After an entire season, plus a post season, I think most pitchers would be too exhausted to play yet another series.

I think it's fair to say that whoever wins the World Series, probably could beat any other team elsewhere in the world. The world's best players tend to come and play in the MLB. Not all of them, but a lot of them.
Plus in regards to the season. Baseball at the MLB level is basically going on from late February to end of October. That leaves Nov-Feb basically where you'd have to play.

Well football is in it's prime during that time. Even basketball & hockey are popular.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Yeah but it is the same in football. All best players play in Europe for clubs and there is a champions league but there are also international competition where those players are released from clubs and play for their national teams and Brazil is the best national team historically even though pretty much all their best players play in european leagues. And with all respect to baseball I do not think that it is more physically demanding sport than football. Maybe more skillfull yes, but in terms of pure exhaustion after full season, If football players can do it I think baseball players could do it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
One problem is if you are a good baseball player from X country you're probably signed by a major league team & playing in the minor leagues making $ as a job.

Then because of that the organization has control over you & who you play with.

Now, we've seen players get to play in the WBC but I think that's different & every 3 years.

But I just think because of players as early as 17 already with minor league teams it cause an issue to stay with your country & play for them.

And those sports rugby & volley ball are just not sports that are going to get enough Americans attention to watch.
Yeah but in football it is simple there are international organizations called FIFA, UEFA, CONMEBOL and clubs are obliged to release their players for official national teams games. If they do no do it they get suspended from international club competitions. With Rugby and Volleyball I meant that those sports with limited number of countries that take them seriously especially in case of rugby are still able to provide respective world cups that attract a lot of interest. If they can do it so can baseball which I think is played in more countries than rugby. That was my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Plus in regards to the season. Baseball at the MLB level is basically going on from late February to end of October. That leaves Nov-Feb basically where you'd have to play.

Well football is in it's prime during that time. Even basketball & hockey are popular.
I think organizing such event as Baseball World Cup that is taken seriously by the best players would be tremendous for baseball worldwide popularity. For average fan games between their nations would be much more emotional and interesting than games between clubs. Take a look at football even though interest in that sport is minor in Australia and United States, when the world cup takes place it is big in both countries even though their teams are average at best. Why? Because it let them unite and compete on international level and not just within their country. For average fans long season between clubs is not appealing in a way that direct tournaments with national teams that represent them are. Those best players could play both in MLB clubs and in their national teams.

Last edited by WestPreussen; 10-26-2019 at 11:18 AM..

Old 10-26-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
Yeah but it is the same in football. ...
Football doesn't play as often as baseball, so the players aren't going to be as tired.

And again, especially the pitchers, throwing like that from Feb-October really takes a toll on one's arm and you really need the rest from Nov-Jan or Feb. Even by the time the World Series rolls around, a lot of pitchers in the series arms' are pretty tired. Position players might not be as bad, but pitchers really need the rest.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Football doesn't play as often as baseball, so the players aren't going to be as tired.

And again, especially the pitchers, throwing like that from Feb-October really takes a toll on one's arm and you really need the rest from Nov-Jan or Feb. Even by the time the World Series rolls around, a lot of pitchers in the series arms' are pretty tired. Position players might not be as bad, but pitchers really need the rest.
I understand, but how often do they play then? Best Footballers in Europe play 2 games a week. European cups during a week and national league on the weekends.

Old 10-26-2019, 06:17 PM

Major League Baseball games are basically every day. They typically get 2 or 3 days off a month.

Old 10-26-2019, 06:21 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,985,353 times
"What do you tink are the reasons for that?"
money.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Major League Baseball games are basically every day. They typically get 2 or 3 days off a month.
Yeah but surely not for one team. Like does Boston Red Sox play almost every day or once a week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball