Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:45 AM

423 posts, read 1,931,098 times

Advertisements

Baseball is too slow to enjoy. It's like watching a chess game or something, not a sports match. The pitchers take like 1 minute in between throws. I also hate the designated hitter rule. Pitchers should have to bat like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 01:24 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Wow!

Baseball haters?!

Hardest thing in sports is to do is hit a ball at 90mph+ !

Never did care for inter-league play. It sort of waters down match-ups come play-off time!

It's sad baseball is underappreciated nowadays.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:56 PM

4 posts, read 18,336 times
How can you not love baseball?? Look at the Tigers. They stunk it up for years and bang, World Series. That's what makes baseball fun. I'd rather watch baseball sitting on a hot poker than watch one minute of NASCAR (Not All Southern Citizens Are Racist). You want to jazz that "sport" up? Release animals at different intervals during the race and see who the best driver really is!! Better yet, have their wives driving in their mini-vans while talking on the cell phone and applying their makeup.........frightening. All things being what they are, American Football has become the country's greatest sport. Where else can you fantasize about men scoring on other men. Is that you Reynaldo?

Old 04-16-2007, 08:51 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
I'll give baseball this...

Out of all the sports on the planet, baseball is still the most magical.
Baseball has the best stadiums and ballparks (except for the completely domed ones).
Baseball has made and still makes the best sports movies.
And on top of all that, baseball is the main reason why sports are as big as they are in this country.

I'll even go as far to say baseball is trying to make a comeback. But can it?

Old 04-16-2007, 03:10 PM

311 posts, read 1,376,864 times
A couple of years ago the Commissioner of Baseball criticized the NFL for its replay rule, saying that it slowed the game down too much. The timing of his words were unfortunate because the Astros and Braves then went on to play one of the longest games in post season history. I also think that Pitchers and Batters take way too long with their constant time outs.

I was a huge fan of Baseball growing up and still watch it occasionally, but Football has now taken center stage. It is much more competitive. It seems like every year the same teams win the division (especially in the East) and there are only a handful of teams with a real chance of getting to the World Series. I was glad to see the Tigers actually make it last year though. Football is more suspenseful because you don't really know who is going to win and even the bad teams can turn things around quickly.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:34 PM

NASCAR is definitly more exciting than baseball but still pretty boring. I do think baseball is fun to play, but it really is boring to watch. I also think Soccer is uninteresting. Lacrosse is probably the most underated sport in terms of the excitement. Too bad there are no professional lacrosse leagues to my knowledge.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:53 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
NASCAR is definitly more exciting than baseball but still pretty boring. I do think baseball is fun to play, but it really is boring to watch. I also think Soccer is uninteresting. Lacrosse is probably the most underated sport in terms of the excitement. Too bad there are no professional lacrosse leagues to my knowledge.
Major League Lacrosse. It's shown on ESPN sometimes, but only in the top ten...sometimes.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:13 AM

569 posts, read 1,229,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
NASCAR is definitly more exciting than baseball.......

Drive fast
Slow down
Turn left
Repeat 500 times

Man, that's some exciting stuff.

Regardless of the pace of the game, IMO, baseball is the best pure sport out there. At least the National League is, because of the DH the American League is the equivalent of slow-pitch softball.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:59 PM

someone earlier was saying how hard it is to hit a 90 mph fast ball. Well driving 140 mph while racing takes just as much practice and skill. Dont get me wrong im not a NASCAR fan, it's just more entertaining at times to watch a race.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:52 PM

793 posts, read 3,122,300 times
One thing I always find odd about people and their opinions of sports, is how often their fondness or distaste is measured by their opinion of professional leagues, some times college as well. When I witness such, it makes me wonder if some of these same folks are the couch potatoes that would rather watch than actively participate. Its not meant as a blanket statement and I too do watch at least some televised sports to some degree.
I live in the northeast and have lived lived plenty of other places besides. Professional baseball is alive and well in these parts, but not in the majority of the country in my estimation, despite the eastern based national media doing its best to convince its audience that it is still on par with hotdogs and apple pie.
It's pretty annoying when someone around me carries on about some Red Sox/Yankee affair and I bring up the fact that I don't care for Major League baseball, and I get these irrelevant retorts that "you have to like baseball, it's America's past time"...yadda, yadda. While I don't agree anyhow, that's not the point. I do in fact like the SPORT of baseball. I like going to the batting cages time to time. I could care less about Major League Baseball. While it is true of all pro sports today and even yesteryear that it is business, it has become WAY too big of business for my liking. Now I know its convenient for anyone to like a sport when your region fields a competitive team, or in fact can FINANCE a competitive one annually, but I'd really like to see where some of these fans of the "haves" would be with bottom-tier payrolls (of course you can make the argument that some who don't care suddenly magically would if the shoe was on the other foot). I grew up as a kid cheering the Red Sox fervently. But I've stopped caring. It has nothing to do with the game being too slow, too boring, etc... It does have much to do with players traded at dizzying rates, not even being able to identify with your roster any sooner than the next long line of player overhaul, childish crap as it pertains to contractually obligated players holding out like 5-year olds, steroids cheapening the record books....I could go on.
It certainly isn't mutually exclusive to baseball, but the "Star Wars" mentality of building a team and disposing of it just as quickly and all this whining by fans about buying/trading players that seems now to overshadow what happens ON THE FIELD permanently left too sour of a taste in my mouth finally several years back. Unfortunately too many I think live so vicariously through a team they have nothing to do with, that winning at all costs always will prelude class and character on the part of the players. I'm too much an idealist perhaps, but I still have the choice not to care, and not because I have a distaste for the sport of baseball itself.

Last edited by unknown stuntman; 04-19-2007 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball