Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 11:04 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
O - and just an example to debunk your incorrect assertion that over a course of a season, a so called #2 starter will get "easier" pitching matchups

#5 Micah Owings vs. #2 Rich Harden tonite

G Man
So a #2 facing a #5...how'd that turnout for Harden? It turned out like I said.The #2 kicked the crap out of the #5!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 07:00 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,972,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I would gladly trade a few weeks in the minors or bullpen and working it out to another 1 1/3 inning giving up 8-11 runs.
He wont go to the minors. If they send him down he has to clear waivers which wouldnt be likely. Someone would gladly snatch him up, one would think. So he is going to have to sit on the bench or pitch in mop up relief or the Yankees will risk losing him.

G Man

Old 04-22-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
So a #2 facing a #5...how'd that turnout for Harden? It turned out like I said.The #2 kicked the crap out of the #5!!!
Thats not the point - my point is that your argument of rotations continually stacking up over the course of a season is flawed. Because of rainouts, off days, and the way a mgr schedules his rotation, after the first week or so - it doesnt matter if you are a # 1 or # 5, you will match up against whoever is next in their rotation.

G Man

Old 04-22-2009, 07:03 AM

And i will always defend the Reds and they are my team. But why would i rave about them in this forum? This is for the 2009 AL Cy Young so it isnt the place. They are off to a good start. Hey, maybe you didnt know but out of NY we dont all have 200 mil payrolls. We can just buy a sweet shot at the playoffs every year. Maybe you dont understand that, most Yankees fans dont.

G Man

Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
He wont go to the minors. If they send him down he has to clear waivers which wouldnt be likely. Someone would gladly snatch him up, one would think. So he is going to have to sit on the bench or pitch in mop up relief or the Yankees will risk losing him.

G Man
I know,i've been hearing it left and right.I'm hearing that he might break away from the team and be sent to Florida on kind of a rehab type stint without going on the DL.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
And i will always defend the Reds and they are my team. But why would i rave about them in this forum? This is for the 2009 AL Cy Young so it isnt the place. They are off to a good start. Hey, maybe you didnt know but out of NY we dont all have 200 mil payrolls. We can just buy a sweet shot at the playoffs every year. Maybe you dont understand that, most Yankees fans dont.

G Man
Well let me ask you this then;if the Yankees had kept the exact team as last year would you be complaining? Well we got rid of some dead weight,picked up some better players,and at the same time lowered our payroll, so what's wrong with that? Don't be upset that our team is willing to make trades or invest in players that we want.If the league were to set a hard cap that you couldn't exceed the Yanks would abide by that. So don't get mad at my team,thy're just functioning in the established system.If you want to be mad at someone you blame the league!

Old 04-22-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I know,i've been hearing it left and right.I'm hearing that he might break away from the team and be sent to Florida on kind of a rehab type stint without going on the DL.
Yep, he is going to their extended ST camp in Florida to try to work some things out. Fortunately for the Yankees, they have the financial resources to have this amount of money commited to one guy who isnt even going to pitch. Other teams dont have that luxury.

G Man

Old 04-22-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Well let me ask you this then;if the Yankees had kept the exact team as last year would you be complaining? Well we got rid of some dead weight,picked up some better players,and at the same time lowered our payroll, so what's wrong with that? Don't be upset that our team is willing to make trades or invest in players that we want.If the league were to set a hard cap that you couldn't exceed the Yanks would abide by that. So don't get mad at my team,thy're just functioning in the established system.If you want to be mad at someone you blame the league!
Sure, the system is to blame and the Yankees are the prime abusers of that system. There is nothing inheriently wrong with what they are doing - they have the money to do that. No one else does. But what it grants them is more wiggle room than other clubs have. They can waste money on guys like Pavano, Giambi and overpay for guys like Jeter and it doesnt bother them because they have the money to do it. They have the first crack at any FAs because they can outbid anyone because of their resources. The system is flawed and most Yankee fans dont acknowledge that because they either cant understand it or dont want to. Main beef i have is that - its an unfair system and a large portion of Yankee fans are rude and ignorant. The fact that they havent been able to win a WS in 9 years, with having far and away the highest payroll is a testment to their organization being pretty weak as far as scouting and preformance.

G MAn

Old 04-24-2009, 10:36 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,211 times
I think Greinke might actually win it. Filthy.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:04 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
Greinke dominated again. Were it not for an unearned run, we'd be looking at two complete game shutouts in a row. 38 scoreless innings. Ho-hum Royals defense.Any questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball