Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 06:02 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I'm a Met fan. You had an excellent run, but yes, you need to rebuild, with younger core players.
The problem is, what players? Who it the young core of this team that someone can see being the stars 3 years down the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 06:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The problem is, what players? Who it the young core of this team that someone can see being the stars 3 years down the road?
Not sure, but offense is easier to buy and gauge than starting pitching. You may need to trade age to open spots and payroll flexibility. Look at the Braves this winter. Did you read the Met's GM comments to 350 season ticket holders-same idea, he is indicating buy offense. When asked about Marlin's Stanton, he smirked.

Brown will be a star, but I'm not high on any other youngsters in the field. Pettibone will be good, but IMO, not a star.

Until Phils start playing a bunch of kids for at least one full season, you will not know what you have. AAA , AA isn't the Show. Ike Davis has 4 homers this weekend, but it is PCL, Vegas, so as a Met fan, I want Duda at first..full steam ahead..with Davis needing to prove himself all over again..at the show.

The problem is the illusion of contending the last 2 years has meant playing the older, but not long-term core. That is a recipe to become the next Astros.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:59 PM

Make that 4 blown saves in a week. No easy task.

Yikes. Give up three runs in the 9th. Strand a player at third with one out in the tenth. Then promptly load the bases and give up a hit.

Last edited by manderly6; 06-24-2013 at 11:27 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 08:56 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
A return to the days of Sil Campusano and a great time for the bandwagon fans who know nothing about baseball to get out of my sport! THe ignorant statements I have heard over the past 4 years has irked me tremendously. I have yelled at many of these jabronies at both LV AAA games and at Citizens Bank Park.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:23 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
The young core of players the Phillies could have had were mostly traded away to acquire big-name players, some in good trades for the Phillies, some in not such good trades for the Phillies (like the Hunter Pence trade with Houston in the latter case).

The Phillies' biggest problem is that most of their players have relatively limited trade value because 1) they have relatively large contracts, 2) they are old and on the downside of their careers, and/or 3) they are often injured.

The only guys I wouldn't be willing to trade if I were the Phillies are Cole Hamels (just having a down season, he should be alright in the 5-year longer term) and Dominic Brown (who I should note has a ceiling as a good/very good player but not a great player IMO).

Old 06-25-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post

The only guys I wouldn't be willing to trade if I were the Phillies are Cole Hamels (just having a down season, he should be alright in the 5-year longer term) and Dominic Brown (who I should note has a ceiling as a good/very good player but not a great player IMO).
I agree with this. Hopefully Lee/Papelbon could actually return some good prospects. I'm not sure anyone else is going to get much.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:10 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
The young core of players the Phillies could have had were mostly traded away to acquire big-name players, some in good trades for the Phillies, some in not such good trades for the Phillies (like the Hunter Pence trade with Houston in the latter case).

The Phillies' biggest problem is that most of their players have relatively limited trade value because 1) they have relatively large contracts, 2) they are old and on the downside of their careers, and/or 3) they are often injured.

One of the problems is that the Phillies got nothing when they traded Pence, they got nothing when they traded Lee. You will be the Astros if they keep trading talent and getting nothing in return.

I don't see the Phillies letting Hamels get 20 losses this year, he'll be shut down in early Septmember if they have too. The Phillies are averaging 2.5 runs a game for Hamels, that's not his fault, and I would trade anyone on this roster, for some real talent.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:31 PM

Brutal news about Dutch Dalton. Wasn't feel well and went to the doctor. They found two brain tumors. They operate next week. He does a radio show in Philly that I listen to most days. Always comes off as a real stand up guy.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:07 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
Quote:
Brutal news about Dutch Dalton. Wasn't feel well and went to the doctor. They found two brain tumors. They operate next week. He does a radio show in Philly that I listen to most days. Always comes off as a real stand up guy.
Darren Daulton was a really fine MLB catcher. He was arguably one of top 30 catchers of all-time. Hopefully the doctors can successfully operate on his tumors.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:26 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
I remember him, too, and sadly this news seems beyond the hope of even a miracle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball