Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2018, 06:55 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times

Advertisements

Bringing this thread up to date for 2018 season discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 04:57 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
No SP has gotten to 6 IP this year. Nola had a shutout in the opener that the bullpen gave up 8 runs in the final 3 innings.. Pivetta was throwing a heck of a game today.. Pulled after 5 2/3 with 9 K's and a shutout that the 'pen held.

Nola's second start.. 5.2 innings giving up 2 runs.. Pen gave up 2 for the loss

Lively.. 5.2 innings, gave up 2 runs.. pen held, but offense was shutout

Velasquez.. Ok.. Yeah, that was a rout. Nothing to say to that one.

I can see the thought of don't overtax your starters.. And even a thought of getting a young bullpen some work.. But.. When you have a crappy bullpen..

Old 04-08-2018, 04:43 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times

NBC asks. But wait! No respect for the Phillies and their chances?

Old 04-16-2018, 10:25 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

NBC asks. But wait! No respect for the Phillies and their chances?
The season is not far enough along to say one way or another. Right now they doing pretty well.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The season is not far enough along to say one way or another. Right now they doing pretty well.

Doing well, but.. They're not beating good teams. They swept the Reds and Rays, who are a combined 5-25

Lost 2 of 3 to the Braves, 2 games to the Mets and won 2 of 3 from the 4-11 Marlins

They've got series against the Braves, Pirates and D-backs coming up.. I think after those, we'll have a better idea.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:03 AM

So.. Still one game to go in the Diamondbacks series, but in the above, they lost 2 of 3 to the Braves, swept the Pirates in a 4 game series and are 1-1 against the D-Backs.

Surprisingly.. Pitching is what's carrying them. Offense hasn't been shabby, but when the offense has struggled, the pitching has been excellent.

Bullpen is still shaky.. The SPs have been carrying them. 3 of their 5 starters have ERAs under 3 with Arrieta under 2. Velasquez is struggling a bit, but he's somewhat been the victim of bad offense.

offense.. Is not good.. But they've been clutch. Two that I can point directly to are Kingery and Altherr.. They're batting .213 and .172 respectively, but the hits that they have gotten have been key, clutch hits. Hoskins is making the case that he's for real.. If the Phillies do compete for a playoff spot this year.. He's going to be making an MVP case.

Franco is doing enough to warrant resigning him.. But not a big money contract. The promise he showed in 2015 is pretty much gone. But he'd be a serviceable option at 3B.

Crawford.. 4 errors.. He isn't on the team for his bat, so that's unacceptable.

I'm not a believer yet. I'm hopeful.. But I'm certainly not sold on this team doing any better than the projected 81-81 record.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:22 PM
Status: "Mike Johnson stand your ground" (set 23 hours ago)

939 posts, read 1,227,773 times
Gabe before you get a "Charlie Brown" complex --that is "Why's everybody picking on me" let's take a look at the results. You know with all your proclaimed statistical genius did you forget one statistic - on any given game there are 2 possible outcomes win or lose about a 50% probability. I think you have a mind for chess because every day the playing plan has got to be different. You seem to have your hands in everything and I think you are messing it up. No really. Coddling monster sleazes in your bull pen. How about this i loved baseball to a point that i did all but sleep I'm my spikes. Tell me I needed a rest and I'd tell you "Rest this". Mean little leaguer. Lol. You know in Babe Ruth League some Managers wanted to give everyone an opportunity that Manager didnt win alot and made many mistakes. Dont get me wrong I believe you are only as strong as your weakest link I just dont understand why you embrace that one who just does not seem to want to come around. I dont know Franco but I do remember a couple times this season he was flying high and then the trade rumors at least twice. Heck look how you are doing with all the talk of getting rid of you. You are a stellar example of how impression can become reality. How would you like moving from one team to a minor team just when you reached your rhythm. How about runner on 2nd no outs and 2 runs down after a home run brings you that close and no bunt to advance to 3rd base. You always have to reinvent the wheel. I'm getting sick just thinking about it. You are getting to the point that when it comes to a decision we can count on you making the wrong one. You have taken traditional baseball and tried to reinvent the game. How is that working out? Please if you are going to stay here get a regular lineup from your roster and stop trying to find a pair of shoes that matches your suit. Let's play baseball with a regular lineup and kick some butt -- the old fashioned way or leave town we will chip in for the ticket.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:25 AM

Default Phillies Painful to Watch

I sense management has a feeling of accomplishment. I feel warranted they have a great deal of clout in their lineup. I feel disappointment. In all the years I followed the Phillies (65 of them) I can think of no manager more hard headed than Gabe. It seems his head is always nodding understand but hasn't a clue or intention of listening to anybody. Sounds like a characteristic of this team. Did you see Braves leadoff hitter steals 1st and 2nd players who have the power then come up and can do the base clearing. This type baseball was exciting. Is this Califirnia Baseball? I'm beginning to think he is pulling off an "Antonio Brown" I think that's his name I just know him by his nickname. "AH". He seems to want to get fired or maybe he is a "Chip Kelly". Any pitcher can be the best -- he masters location. Our buttercups cant pitch more than 100 pitches. I was just trying to be little league pitcher and I pitched more than that. Gabe take a chill pill let your starters in to develop experience and stamina. What could possiblity happen we give up 19 runs. Wait that did happen didnt it. I can't remember the last time I could track a personal won loss column just for the Manager. Gabe must have sucked as a hitter because if he doesnt think a player can direct the ball to a target area he must be crazy. Taking pitchers out to soon, bringing in idiots to replace decent starting pitcher prospects. His handling of Franco, shifts in infield. Bringing outfielders in --- my God on and on. My problem is I thinks he's a good man and could manage if he stopped thinking he has to be clairvoyant and just manage the team. If he treats them like snowflakes so they will respond . Is this the type of management he grew up under. He's more a Mother than a Manager. We love our Phillies -- Gabe you could be okay too ---please wake up and smell the coffee play some small ball generate some excitement. Half the time I see you in the dugout you look stoic and just there for the entertainment value. Get this brilliant team going and kick them.pitchers in the butt they can do the job and they know it they are just plain lazy the way you raised them.

Last edited by Norm Barnes; 09-14-2019 at 08:37 AM..

Old 09-14-2019, 09:03 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Phillies have a very tough schedule coming up. Just watch for improvement and fight.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:38 AM

Default Whoops he did it again

New joke: What does it take for Phillies to lose a game. Answer Gabe Kapler and 3 - 4 relief Pictures or Hector Neris single handedly. C'mon tell me could NOLA have done any worse if he completed the game. Honey get the Pepto Bismol and maybe som Castor Oil for my favorite team. This is sick, sick sick. Monumental screw ups. Fact is we knew it was coming. I have truly given up. That man is a hard headed monster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball