Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:54 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times

Advertisements

Now I have to mention it because it has annoyed me for years. Most of the time announcers especially on national broadcasts are supposed to be unbiased but this idiot has to be the biggest Yankee hater ever. Every great defensive play is downplayed, while the opposing team is masterful. CC Sabathia hitting Pedroia is definitely a payback pitch, while Beckett hitting 2 or 3 guys is bad control.Now i'm not denying it might have been payback but McCarver has had this pattern since i've heard him on tv. Then he stated, why would he hit Jeter with the bases loaded? Now logically, it doesn't make sense; but when he realized the game was slipping away, maybe he figured that he'd take a few down with him. Beckett can be a little ***** and go after players; just like Clemens used to do. I also noticed that he was going after our hottest hitters; how convenient! Even when McCarver was a Yankee announcer for 1 year, he tore up the team. Maybe a piece of crap like this needs to disappear already. If he was with a specific team, I understand they sometimes slightly favor the home team but it's ridiculous already. The guy has no credibility and has to go. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 09:52 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times

YouTube - Tim McCarver on a good day

Old 05-09-2010, 06:04 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Even when McCarver was a Yankee announcer for 1 year, he tore up the team. Maybe a piece of crap like this needs to disappear already. If he was with a specific team, I understand they sometimes slightly favor the home team but it's ridiculous already. The guy has no credibility and has to go. Any thoughts?
His insistence on saying what he wanted to say, rather than toeing the front office's line, got him fired from the Mets' broadcasting booth, too. The only real problem I've ever had with Tim McCarver is that he really doesn't know when to stop talking. He knows the game better than a lot of announcers out there--he just doesn't always fit that knowledge into his commentary.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
His insistence on saying what he wanted to say, rather than toeing the front office's line, got him fired from the Mets' broadcasting booth, too. The only real problem I've ever had with Tim McCarver is that he really doesn't know when to stop talking. He knows the game better than a lot of announcers out there--he just doesn't always fit that knowledge into his commentary.
It's one thing voicing your opinion but constantly putting down ONE specific team is ridiculous and unprofessional. He will always favor the national league teams as well. Just listen to him during interleague play.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:28 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
I suppose he does favor the National League. That's where he played during his career, after all. And he's not a big proponent of the DH. But I don't believe he's actually on an anti-Yankee crusade.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:30 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times
Quote:
His insistence on saying what he wanted to say, rather than toeing the front office's line, got him fired from the Mets' broadcasting booth, too.
It also didn't help that Ralph Kiner wanted to strangle him at the time. And there are two rules that were always in place in the Mets Universe.

1. When you're a Met fan you learn to live with disappointments.
2. There's Ralph Kiner, and then there's everything else that is not Ralph Kiner. These days he's more of a special guest in the booth (which is also named for him), but back in the day, he was so much more than that. He had the ability to very kindly take just about anyone in the organization to task, on or off the air.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:54 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Now I have to mention it because it has annoyed me for years. Most of the time announcers especially on national broadcasts are supposed to be unbiased but this idiot has to be the biggest Yankee hater ever.
I'd say Joe Morgan acts similarly biased against the Mets when they're on a Sunday night game on ESPN. I hit the mute button and tune into the Fan for the play by play.

Just hit the mute button and put on John Sterling when Fox has a Yankee game.

Oh yeah, if it makes you feel any better, McCarver was crying like a little girl during last month's 20 inning game between the Cards and Mets.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'd say Joe Morgan acts similarly biased against the Mets when they're on a Sunday night game on ESPN. I hit the mute button and tune into the Fan for the play by play.

Just hit the mute button and put on John Sterling when Fox has a Yankee game.

Oh yeah, if it makes you feel any better, McCarver was crying like a little girl during last month's 20 inning game between the Cards and Mets.
I noticed that a little about Morgan but he doesn't just single them out. McCarver purely hates the Yankees and doesn't hide the fact. I'd love to kick his old a$$ all over the stadium. What a douche bag!

Old 05-09-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I suppose he does favor the National League. That's where he played during his career, after all. And he's not a big proponent of the DH. But I don't believe he's actually on an anti-Yankee crusade.
Sorry Fred but you apparently aren't listening. I have no problem if an announcer or anyone else prefers one league or the DH but he blatantly goes after the Yanks and tries discrediting anything that they do well.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:13 PM

364 posts, read 483,912 times
Quote:
Sorry Fred but you apparently aren't listening. I have no problem if an announcer or anyone else prefers one league or the DH but he blatantly goes after the Yanks and tries discrediting anything that they do well.
Quite true; it's obvious. McCarver hates the Yanks, which makes him a PIA to listen to. I'd honestly rather listen to the NESN guys.

But it's that much more enjoyable when the Yankees do well because he goes completely silent. I think he left the booth during game 6 last year. I didn't hear a word from him for minutes at a time . hahahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball