Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 07:58 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

NBA Crime Library | Complete database of all NBA arrests | Page 26

By far the most popular among NBA players is DUI and wife-beating. Assault is probably #3.

Special shout out to Anthony Mason of the Knicks who was charged with 'inciting a riot.' IIRC Mason also was dinged for having sex with a fourteen-year old girl.

Let's build more tax-funded stadiums for these heroes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 08:37 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,093,678 times
You think the nba is bad, you should see the nfl!

NFL Arrests Database

Old 07-21-2014, 09:01 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
soccer too.
Brazil: Soccer Ref Decapitated After Stabbing Player

Brazilian soccer player’s severed head left on front porch

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...6vA5g4FlwfOkOQ

Pro sports is a mental disorder.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:14 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
While I'm one of the first to condemn the sports stupidity that often grips this country (especially stupid at the lower levels)....I'm not convinced the NBA has any bigger problem than most professions with lots of young men in them.

Heck, I work in a nerdy brainiac profession and I know a couple guys that got DUI's in their 20's.

Frankly, I'd bet their incidence of crime etc. is lower than that a typical group of roofers, road crew workers etc.

A whole bunch of those are for a little bit of weed and other misdemeanors and note they are charges, not convictions.

With roughly 360 NBA players in any year...round it off to 400 for guys with partial years....and the list goes back decades that's something in excess of 10,000 player years.

I looked up DUI stats and it's around 1 in 165 but would be higher for young men so if you use 1 in 100 that would be over 100 NBAers you'd expect to have DUI's over the last few decades.

Also based upon 10k exposures you'd expect around 6+ murders using the black murder rate watered down a bit.
I can only think of one NBAer that murdered someone and that's after they left the league (the wizard that got in a gun showdown with arenas) and then the accidental (but reckless) killing of the chauffer guy but that's not murder.

Last edited by Mathguy; 07-21-2014 at 09:27 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
While I'm one of the first to condemn the sports stupidity that often grips this country (especially stupid at the lower levels)....I'm not convinced the NBA has any bigger problem than most professions with lots of young men in them.

Heck, I work in a nerdy brainiac profession and I know a couple guys that got DUI's in their 20's.

Frankly, I'd bet their incidence of crime etc. is lower than that a typical group of roofers, road crew workers etc.

A whole bunch of those are for a little bit of weed and other misdemeanors and note they are charges, not convictions.

With roughly 360 NBA players in any year...round it off to 400 for guys with partial years....and the list goes back decades that's something in excess of 10,000 player years.

I looked up DUI stats and it's around 1 in 165 but would be higher for young men so if you use 1 in 100 that would be over 100 NBAers you'd expect to have DUI's over the last few decades.

Also based upon 10k exposures you'd expect around 6+ murders using the black murder rate watered down a bit.
I can only think of one NBAer that murdered someone and that's after they left the league (the wizard that got in a gun showdown with arenas) and then the accidental (but reckless) killing of the chauffer guy but that's not murder.
Spot on. Lots of people are dumb when they're young and get in to trouble, especially with things like drugs and alcohol. The difference is most people are not in the public eye.

Of course some the crimes are inexcusable, but show me a profession that doesn't have a single bad person working within it. Doesn't condemn the entire profession.

Some people are just haters.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:20 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
It's gonna happen with young people earning lots of money at an early age. And given that, the rate of trouble is probably less in professional sports than it is in Hollywood or your run-of-the-mill trust-fund babies.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:53 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It's gonna happen with young people earning lots of money at an early age. And given that, the rate of trouble is probably less in professional sports than it is in Hollywood or your run-of-the-mill trust-fund babies.
Yeah, I just look at my little podunk highschool in a small midwestern town.

I personally know of 2 kids from that school near my age that have committed murder. One during a home invasion and the other during a drug hit.

So, at most that's maybe 800 or so kids nearish to my age and we have had (at least) 2 murders. I know of several others that have had DUI's, possession, assault and one rape I recall....and I moved out of there long ago so I don't even hear it all.

This wasn't the hood either....just a typical small town.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:36 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

By far the most popular among NBA players is DUI and wife-beating. Assault is probably #3.

Special shout out to Anthony Mason of the Knicks who was charged with 'inciting a riot.' IIRC Mason also was dinged for having sex with a fourteen-year old girl.

this why I thought the whole donald sterling deal was funny. Hes a racist idiot, ok but lets be honest some of the nba players bashing him have a record and some a violent record. A guy is racist and the whole country wants to lynch him, yet we have violent punk thugs in the nba and they are our hero's? lol

Old 07-23-2014, 06:26 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

This is a popular meme from Right wingers, they critisize athletes (and entertainers) for two reasons:
1. They think it shows them to be fair and not in the tank for all rich people.
2. They assume most athletes and entertainers vote Democrat so they hate them for that.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:51 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,093,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
This is a popular meme from Right wingers, they critisize athletes (and entertainers) for two reasons:
1. They think it shows them to be fair and not in the tank for all rich people.
2. They assume most athletes and entertainers vote Democrat so they hate them for that.
this is ridiculous.
it more likely shows the hypocrisy of how the rich left portrays themselves as "FOR the common man" all the while raking in loads of cash FROM the common man.

kinda like how michael moore spends a whole crap load of time telling all of us every day business owners and tax payers how we should be happy to pay more, and how there should be a limit on what CEOs can make yet turns around and sues the Weinsteins to the tune of 2.7 million because he felt he didnt make enough money off his ridiculous movie. yup its the right wingers who are the ones knocking rich people in hollywood and sports.

so ridiculous.

back to basketball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball