Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 09:16 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,254,704 times

Advertisements

1) Looks more like 20-25 lbs. to me.

2) And if so, will it help his game?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-...lkA1ZJUDQ1OF8x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 10:38 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
1) Looks more like 20-25 lbs. to me.

2) And if so, will it help his game?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-...lkA1ZJUDQ1OF8x
Won't help his game so much given he's already so good but it should help with the wear and tear of the seasons and getting older.

Most guys you see getting a boost from dropping the weight weren't in top shape before. (aka Shaq when he left the Lakers and dropped a bunch of weight heading into Miami....plus others)

Old 08-06-2014, 10:55 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Interesting move by LBJ. Marathon runners tend to avoid bulking up the upper body because you have to carry that extra muscle mass 26.2 miles. Most great marathon runners are in the 110-130 lb. range.

Basketball is less of an endurance game than marathon running, but still endurance does matter in basketball. Plus, less mass=more vertical.

I like the fact that LBJ seems to come up with something every off-season to try to improve his game. Magic Johnson was like that. Every summer he would focus on a particular area, and come back a better player.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:58 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,254,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Won't help his game so much given he's already so good but it should help with the wear and tear of the seasons and getting older.

Most guys you see getting a boost from dropping the weight weren't in top shape before. (aka Shaq when he left the Lakers and dropped a bunch of weight heading into Miami....plus others)
I get your 1st point about wear and tear; just wondering if weight loss will affect the strength portion of his game. i.e., overpowering lighter defenders. Lebron didn't look like he had excess baggage even at 265.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I get your 1st point about wear and tear; just wondering if weight loss will affect the strength portion of his game. i.e., overpowering lighter defenders. Lebron didn't look like he had excess baggage even at 265.
I'm no expert but my guess is that he was having a little bit of trouble getting past a guy like Kawhi and felt that a little more speed would serve him better. He has more than enough strength and size.

So, I guess saying that out loud it's possible that he might be a little quicker to get past guys, maybe it will help with his defensive energy?

It's possible but lets face it, he's already playing lights out basketball there really isn't much "better" he can get.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Interesting move by LBJ. Marathon runners tend to avoid bulking up the upper body because you have to carry that extra muscle mass 26.2 miles. Most great marathon runners are in the 110-130 lb. range.

Basketball is less of an endurance game than marathon running, but still endurance does matter in basketball. Plus, less mass=more vertical.

I like the fact that LBJ seems to come up with something every off-season to try to improve his game. Magic Johnson was like that. Every summer he would focus on a particular area, and come back a better player.
heh, I was in Chicago watching the marathon a few years back when the guy broke the course record by 1 second. Huge bonus payday and he knew it.

The guy ran something like a 4:30-4:40 mile his last mile.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:12 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,806,921 times
I think it has more to do with having Love come in and Lebron playing the smaller guys.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
heh, I was in Chicago watching the marathon a few years back when the guy broke the course record by 1 second. Huge bonus payday and he knew it.

The guy ran something like a 4:30-4:40 mile his last mile.
Current course record holder is Dennis Kimetto of Kenya 2:03:45 (translates to 4 min 43 sec. per mile pace over 26.2 miles). He is listed as 5'6" 135 lbs. After he won the Chicago marathon he explained through his Swahili interpreter that he had been a farmer growing maize and tending a few cows until 4 years prior, when a chance encounter with Emanuel Mutai, a big time Kenyan runner and leader of a training group, got him involved in running.
Kenya's Dennis Kimetto wins Chicago Marathon, sets record - ESPN Chicago

Getting back to LBJ, I wonder if the leg cramp issue made him decide to change his body. Basketball is not a pure endurance sport but still you are running for 48 minutes, albeit with a few breaks. A 10K runner (WR=26 minutes) or half marathon runner (WR=58 minutes) would never bulk up the way LBJ has done over the past several years.

At one time NBA players did not do much upper body work. I remember hearing an interview of Kareem Abdul Jabbar when he noted (paraphrase) 'bulk is in.' Perhaps LBJ is now telling us that bulk is out.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I think it has more to do with having Love come in and Lebron playing the smaller guys.
Lebron has been playing vs. SF's the entire time with only minor exceptions. Chris Bosh was on the 4's.

Love isn't moving Lebron off the PF's IMO.

I think his first step is just slightly slowing and the weight will allow him to regain that edge and not leg young 22yos play up on him as much.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Current course record holder is Dennis Kimetto of Kenya 2:03:45 (translates to 4 min 43 sec. per mile pace over 26.2 miles). He is listed as 5'6" 135 lbs. After he won the Chicago marathon he explained through his Swahili interpreter that he had been a farmer growing maize and tending a few cows until 4 years prior, when a chance encounter with Emanuel Mutai, a big time Kenyan runner and leader of a training group, got him involved in running.
Kenya's Dennis Kimetto wins Chicago Marathon, sets record - ESPN Chicago

Getting back to LBJ, I wonder if the leg cramp issue made him decide to change his body. Basketball is not a pure endurance sport but still you are running for 48 minutes, albeit with a few breaks. A 10K runner (WR=26 minutes) or half marathon runner (WR=58 minutes) would never bulk up the way LBJ has done over the past several years.

At one time NBA players did not do much upper body work. I remember hearing an interview of Kareem Abdul Jabbar when he noted (paraphrase) 'bulk is in.' Perhaps LBJ is now telling us that bulk is out.
Bulk has been "out" since the league banned hand checking.

That's why Nash suddenly went from good to MVP.

However, Lebron has been feasting in the current environment for years.

Logically, Lebron is reacting to something that he didn't like from last year. Adjustments aren't made after success but rather failure. I think he's lightening up to drive past the Kwahi's, Durant's etc. as he gets a tad bit older.

Otherwise he'd have dropped the weight LAST year.....nope, he's reacting to the finals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball