Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 04:09 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times

Advertisements

I understand that a big part of it is having one coach for a long period of time. But it seems that Duke is always in the mix season after season. After they lose good players, they seem to hover around the Top 15 to Top 20, not fall out of the rankings altogether. Since 1990, they have only failed to make the Sweet 16 six times (one season was when Coach K was out with hip surgery). So what is it Duke that makes their program so competitive year in year out?

Discounting Roy Williams' first season at UNC (he won the NC his 2nd season), the records for UNC and Duke since 2004 are the following:

211-68 (75.6%) for UNC
263-51 (83.7%) for Duke

UNC has won more NCs. They have made it to the Sweet 16 the same number of times. UNC missed the Tourney in 2009-10, posting a 20-17 record.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 03-10-2014 at 04:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 04:22 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,060,863 times
As a UNC fan, it hurts me to say this... But, Duke has the best coach in college basketball ever. The dude can flat out coach and his system is almost perfect. What he has done at Duke is nothing short of amazing, he is Duke in many ways! This is very evident considering how his players do outside of his system, not many Duke players have been that successful in the NBA. Just my $0.02 worth!

Old 03-10-2014, 04:25 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Coach K

still one of bucket list sports (probably overall bucket list) things is a Duke/UNC game at Cameron

Also the good UNC team are/have been more talented - ever walk around the UNC Arena and see each team - is amazing really - Duke recruits a different player that fits with Coach K and does what he wants and how he wants it

I actually got to walk around (UNC's arena not Cameron) one random afternoon about 15 years ago killing time before a flight back to Philly - the one door was ajar and walked around the concourse - place was empty - Me and 2 fellow co-workers got walk onto the floor and in a lucky instance there was a roller cart full of basketballs - we proceeded to each shoot about 5 foul shots - in the middle of either a security or cleaning person looked down (at three dudes in bad suits) and kind of turned away and understood that moment was important - I only hit my last last foul shot (not surprising) but will always remember the moment...

Last edited by kidphilly; 03-10-2014 at 04:40 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 04:26 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
As a UNC fan, it hurts me to say this... But, Duke has the best coach in college basketball ever. The dude can flat out coach and his system is almost perfect. What he has done at Duke is nothing short of amazing, he is Duke in many ways! This is very evident considering how his players do outside of his system, not many Duke players have been that successful in the NBA. Just my $0.02 worth!
Exactly. It's like he knows how to pick the players who are just right for his system. They come in, they play hard, they buy into the system, they do their little huddle thing, and they perform. And you don't hear about his players causing too much trouble either in college or after. I'm sure there are some players who've had run-ins with the law, etc., but for the most part his players seem very disciplined. He's like the anti-Bob Huggins.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:38 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
It's Coach K

Besides being just an amazing coach, he's been able to bridge multiple changes in the game - he's gone from competing with the Dean Smith 4 corners type of game, in a landscape where players were looked at funny for leaving early to running against the one & dones in the world

He's competed against so many different styles and has adapted his approach countless times

Old 03-10-2014, 04:40 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
It's Coach K

Besides being just an amazing coach, he's been able to bridge multiple changes in the game - he's gone from competing with the Dean Smith 4 corners type of game, in a landscape where players were looked at funny for leaving early to running against the one & dones in the world

He's competed against so many different styles and has adapted his approach countless times

And is a Temple Killer in the Tourney sadly - maybe really stole the lone Temple (this coming from a NOVA fan) chance at a NC - will never forget that game think was like '88ish

Old 03-10-2014, 06:13 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,060,863 times
And don't forget what he's done for USA basketball... He has resurrected USA basketball which was a joke under the previous coach (Larry Brown?)... USA basketball is back under his leadership!

Old 03-10-2014, 07:53 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,124,091 times
Coach K for sure. I would say Duke over the last 15 years would be the most prestigious basketball school to play for.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Great coach.
Big name program.
Great school willing to bend admissions wayyyy below normal admitted students.

There ya go.

I mean, at least they aren't paying them and making up fake classes to keep them eligible like most of the other top-tier programs (other than similar programs like Kansas).

Old 03-11-2014, 05:38 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
At least they have a college education to fall back on, which was kind of the whole point anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball