Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:32 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,760 times

Advertisements

Be interesting to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 12:00 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times
It wouldn't be fair, IMO. The best HS teams might have a guy that could currently play in the NBA and 4 or 5 others that will play division 1 basketball. For example, Whitney Young HS has Jahlil Okafor who is 6'11/275lbs and the #1 rated player in the country - they also have 6'8" Paul White who is ranked #34. UConn's biggest girl is 6'5" 205lbs. Not even taking into account the muscle difference between women and men, that's 70 lbs and 6". It would be cruel and unusual punishment to make that girl even attempt to guard someone like Okafor. He would probably injure UConn girls while turning in the post and throwing down 2 hand power dunks.

It would be interesting to see when it would get competitive though...maybe UConn could start challenging HS teams at around #100 or so?

Old 04-07-2014, 01:13 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,420,348 times
Why do people still continue to make this comparison. We get it, Women aren't as physically and athletically able to compete with men on the same level so let's compare them to men of a lower level. Been there done that.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:57 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,984,677 times
It would have to be a pretty good HS team. The UConn women's squad has practiced against men's HS players (and some D2/D3 college guys) since the 90s. The women win about half the time. An AAU team would beat them handily. The average HS squad that's not a playoff-caliber team would likely not.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:18 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
YES and it would not even be close. I played high school basketball, so did my friend. No way we would make just about any D1 team out there. Me and him played two on two against two girls from our college women team who were at the gym. Both played in the WNBA both women were bigger and taller than us. It was not even close me and my friend beat them easily.

It is just the way it is. Honestly the best high school basketball team in the country could beat a very decent amount of D1 teams. Think about it. The best HS team in the country is going to have 1-3 D1 Freshman who will likely start on a top D1 team anyway. Sure a year younger but I think the best High School Team in the country will compete with some of the worse D1 teams.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
YES and it would not even be close. I played high school basketball, so did my friend. No way we would make just about any D1 team out there. Me and him played two on two against two girls from our college women team who were at the gym. Both played in the WNBA both women were bigger and taller than us. It was not even close me and my friend beat them easily.

It is just the way it is. Honestly the best high school basketball team in the country could beat a very decent amount of D1 teams. Think about it. The best HS team in the country is going to have 1-3 D1 Freshman who will likely start on a top D1 team anyway. Sure a year younger but I think the best High School Team in the country will compete with some of the worse D1 teams.
Look at how Brittney Griner dominated the women's game from the center spot at 190-200lbs. Her max bench press was probably 150lbs. Now imagine what an NBA ready center would do. Imagine what an elite HS PG like Tyus Jones could do. The women's game just looks totally awkward. They miss layups routinely. They don't move with fluidity. None of them are capable of elevating and finishing above the rim. It's really hard to watch it (hence why no one watches it).

Old 04-11-2014, 03:23 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,984,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
It's really hard to watch it (hence why no one watches it).
Well, since you want to opine on viewership, Tuesday night's game delivered a 2.8 rating nationally. Last year's Stanley Cup averaged a 3.3. The Duke/Cuse thtiller from February was a 2.9 nationally.
So yes, a women's college title game lags a bit behind hockey and a top shelf regular season men's game.

But there's a catch. In thr NYC market, the Duke/Cuse game drew BELOW the natonal average while the women's game drew more than two full points HIGHER.

And this is the uniqueness of the NYC market that continually gets overlooked in CR conversations.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:26 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
It's a ridiculous comparison. Anybody who's ever played basketball at high school or above would realize that the UCONN women would get creamed.

You've got to admire them for what they are. An absolutely fantastic WOMEN'S team. They're the best and they silenced any detractors. If the young lady that got injured in the elite 8 for Notre Dame was playing I have no doubt the score would have been closer, but the result would have been the same.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:45 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times
I posted this a while back in another thread, but the topic is the same.

The womens Olympic hockey team played a very average boys high school team in Minnesota (Warroad) using womens rules (no checking) and got beat. Heard the Canadian team routinely scrimmaged against midget level boys teams (15-16 yrs) and lost.

UCONN would get smoked, by many average boys teams. Let alone a DeMatha academy (Md) or (public) Houston Yates.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Well, since you want to opine on viewership, Tuesday night's game delivered a 2.8 rating nationally. Last year's Stanley Cup averaged a 3.3. The Duke/Cuse thtiller from February was a 2.9 nationally.
So yes, a women's college title game lags a bit behind hockey and a top shelf regular season men's game.

But there's a catch. In thr NYC market, the Duke/Cuse game drew BELOW the natonal average while the women's game drew more than two full points HIGHER.

And this is the uniqueness of the NYC market that continually gets overlooked in CR conversations.
But that's one game. And look what it took to get the ratings of a Duke regular season game...it took TWO UNDEFEATED teams playing for the NATIONAL TITLE. Could you imagine the ratings if two premier men's teams went into the title game unseated? Epic is the word that comes to mind. Heck, Duke or UNC's practices would probably get higher ratings than 99% of women's games.

This sums up the problem:
Quote:
When Connecticut won its eighth national women’s basketball championship in April, the celebration felt oddly vacant. The brilliant play of the Huskies against Louisville was witnessed not by a throbbing crowd, but in a half-empty New Orleans Arena.

A curious thing has happened since the N.C.A.A. began sponsoring women’s basketball in 1982. It remains the most popular women’s sport, but its appeal has grown stagnant. Attendance is dropping. Television ratings are flat or in decline. Shooting percentages and scoring have reached all-time lows.

Only one team, Tennessee, averaged more than 10,000 fans last season. Of the 343 women’s teams in Division I, 205 averaged fewer than 1,000 spectators and 90 averaged fewer than 500.
205 teams that can't even bring in 1000 spectators. Pitiful.

BTW - the national title game didn't even fill up the arena to capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball