Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 05:31 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
They changed their names from the Bullets because the former late owner Abe Pollin believed the name eluded to gun violence, which was prevalent in DC during that time. So they had some hacky process to name the team and they gave choices like Sea Dogs, Dragons, Stallions, the Express, or the Wizards. Clearly the Wizards name was better than the rest so that is what was chosen. The widow of Abe Pollin, Irene Pollin desired to not changed the name to Bullets in honor of her deceased husband and the new owner Ted Leonsis, who was a minority owner for a few years, has honored that and has vowed not to disrespect Abe Pollin by changing the name back. So basically odds on out, it will never be changed back to Bullets.

As for the Redskins, that is a completely different situation. Different owner with a different mindset.
That's interesting, because the Bullets colors and even jerseys have been sold since the name change.

Bullets were a type of shoe, btw.

Also, if you dote around in the web, Ted Leonsis is open to changing the name back.

So, one hopes that John Wall has some pull here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 11:45 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
That's interesting, because the Bullets colors and even jerseys have been sold since the name change.

Bullets were a type of shoe, btw.

Also, if you dote around in the web, Ted Leonsis is open to changing the name back.

So, one hopes that John Wall has some pull here.
Yes they do still sell Bullets gear. Don't ask me why, it doesn't make sense to me.

That doesn't really sound like he is open to changing the name. It sounds like he is giving a political answer because although he said he would "open" to it, he said a few other things that don't really match that point:

Quote:
when asked whether he was considering changing the team’s name back to its former name. “Many fans have suggested it, and I’ve just felt that it’s … like a cheap thrill to change the name back.”
Quote:
“And so what we elected to do in the short-term was to change the look and the feel, which we did last season of the uniforms and of our design and go back to that red, white, and blue, and I think for the time being that’s all we’ll do. But yeah, I’m open to that,” Leonsis said.
These are very carefully worded statements. He is not going to out right reject the idea, but he is leaving an allure for fans to wonder.

Here goes a later response to a similar question:

Ted Leonsis declines to discuss Redskins name - The Washington Post
Quote:
“You know, there’s a lot of fans who think we should change the name back to the Bullets,” he continued. “There’s a lot who think we should not do that. And they’re very passionate, but right now, we changed the jerseys. We went back to the throwback red, white and blue look and feel. My position is that we should worry about building a good team and making the playoffs and trying to win a championship with the Wizards name and that would be the right thing to do for our fan base.”
I have listened to Ted for years and I can read through his malarkey. If he was interested in changing the name, he would do it. Saying you are open to it, brings a less hostile reaction than saying it won't happen.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:48 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
theyr'e the Wizards now. Just let it go

Old 07-30-2014, 07:32 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Well, this is interesting:

Kevin Durant feels tug to return home to Washington after LeBron James' decision

Old 07-31-2014, 02:36 AM

71 posts, read 67,702 times
Yes KD go back to Dc from where you came from. Can't wait to see you play in Wizards with Wall.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:45 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,677 times
If OKC doesn't win a title in the next two years all options will be on the table.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:55 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
Amazing.....I didn't know that KD would strongly consider playing back home.

But would the Wizards be contenders?

That's the question.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Amazing.....I didn't know that KD would strongly consider playing back home.

But would the Wizards be contenders?

That's the question.
You take the team they had this year, add Durant, it's at least as good as OKC. This year's Thunder looks to be Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and no one else. A player of his caliber will completely change an organization, as we've seen in Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball