Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 09:02 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Why Chris Paul Is P***ing Off Blake Griffin And DeAndre Jordan

“Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan, from what my sources tell me, were so disgusted with Chris Paul that they tried to tune him out, but Chris Paul has the support of the owner. He has the support of the coach. He has the support of the coaching staff — and it’s not just because he’s the umbilical cord to the head coach on the floor, but it’s because he produces.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 12:26 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Default Judgment is pending

As far as I am concerned, his legacy is still being built. When his career is over, only at that time does it seem more appropriate to talk about his legacy.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:39 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
As far as I am concerned, his legacy is still being built. When his career is over, only at that time does it seem more appropriate to talk about his legacy.
Yeah, that is fine and all but lets take a progress report of how he is doing in his 10th year at age 30 in the NBA.

Postseason success: getting to the second round, accomplished with two different franchises, but never further.

Work in progress indeed.

Chris Paul should think about leaving the Western Conference and going East, he is not going to win a title coming out of the West. Anyone in their right mind have the Clippers beating a healthy Thunder or Warriors team to come out of the West? How about a re-energized and possibly retooled Spurs? Yeah, no.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:19 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Chris Paul's legacy up to this point is someone that has played 65 games in the postseason and has never left the conference semifinals (the second round). His legacy so far is the same as the team he plays for (the Clippers have never left the conference semifinals (second round) before).

He is also an 8 time NBA All-Star, has led the league in assists and steals numerous times, is an All-NBA caliber defender, and has been given All-NBA honors multiple times before. He has made an impact and he is also president of NBPA. However his professional legacy is that he is an elite player, currently only elite player, to have never led his team/advanced past the second round.

This for a guy in his 10th year in the league and at age 30 is not forgivable in basketball. He has the core group of teammates to get there, in fact on numerous occasions he had his chance only to blow it.
Unfortunately, this is a team sport, so even guys like Dan Marino didn't win because they didnt have the right teammates.

Chris Paul is what Chris Paul is, he's played a LOT of NBA games, a lot of them are on video tape where anyone can go and watch, he will play a lot more games going forward, Chris Pauls' legacy is exactly what you have seen with your eyes. If Titles defined how good you are, than why Isn't Robert Horry considered better than Michael Jordan?

If it works one way where lack of rings is a hit to your legacy, doesn't it have to work the other way in exact opposite fashion that the more rings you have the better your legacy is? Robert Horry has more rings than Jordan, but any basketball fan knows he't not in the same stratosphere as a player and nobody would even pretend he is. So, Horry's rings didnt matter comparing him to Michael Jordan and do you know why? Because in the case of Jordan vs Horry, we actually watched the games, we know what Horry was about and we know what Jordan was about, we saw them play and didn't need to look at "ring totals" in order to make a determination on their respective talents, we know that rings in the Horry vs Jordan case mean nothing.

So why do rings all of a sudden matter when determining Paul's legacy? If Chris Paul was put in a time machine and played PG on the Celtics instead of Bob Cousy in the 1950s, would he still have 0 rings? No, he would have at least as many as Cousy just being in the right place at the right time.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:59 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Unfortunately, this is a team sport, so even guys like Dan Marino didn't win because they didnt have the right teammates.

Chris Paul is what Chris Paul is, he's played a LOT of NBA games, a lot of them are on video tape where anyone can go and watch, he will play a lot more games going forward, Chris Pauls' legacy is exactly what you have seen with your eyes. If Titles defined how good you are, than why Isn't Robert Horry considered better than Michael Jordan?

If it works one way where lack of rings is a hit to your legacy, doesn't it have to work the other way in exact opposite fashion that the more rings you have the better your legacy is? Robert Horry has more rings than Jordan, but any basketball fan knows he't not in the same stratosphere as a player and nobody would even pretend he is. So, Horry's rings didnt matter comparing him to Michael Jordan and do you know why? Because in the case of Jordan vs Horry, we actually watched the games, we know what Horry was about and we know what Jordan was about, we saw them play and didn't need to look at "ring totals" in order to make a determination on their respective talents, we know that rings in the Horry vs Jordan case mean nothing.

So why do rings all of a sudden matter when determining Paul's legacy? If Chris Paul was put in a time machine and played PG on the Celtics instead of Bob Cousy in the 1950s, would he still have 0 rings? No, he would have at least as many as Cousy just being in the right place at the right time.
Oh I am not comparing his career to others on whether he has won a ring or not. The guy has NEVER even been to the NBA Finals for us to even have that debate, first of all. LOL.

I am saying that the guy paid to be the leader of the team in upwards of $100 million dollars has all the necessary tools to find postseason success. What does he need? He has tremendous costars in Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan and J.J. Redick, he has a world renown coach, and he plays for a massive market and reaps the benefit of commercial sales and attention.

Yet, Chris Paul, between his time in New Orleans and Los Angeles, has never led his team past the second round/conference semifinals. He has played in 65 games in the postseason in his entire career and is the ONLY superstar to have played that much and never even have a Conference Finals/third round appearance. Even Tracy McGrady eventually got that by riding the Spurs' coattails a couple of years ago.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:10 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
Quote:
Oh I am not comparing his career to others on whether he has won a ring or not. The guy has NEVER even been to the NBA Finals for us to even have that debate, first of all. LOL.

I am saying that the guy paid to be the leader of the team in upwards of $100 million dollars has all the necessary tools to find postseason success. What does he need? He has tremendous costars in Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan and J.J. Redick, he has a world renown coach, and he plays for a massive market and reaps the benefit of commercial sales and attention.

Yet, Chris Paul, between his time in New Orleans and Los Angeles, has never led his team past the second round/conference semifinals. He has played in 65 games in the postseason in his entire career and is the ONLY superstar to have played that much and never even have a Conference Finals/third round appearance. Even Tracy McGrady eventually got that by riding the Spurs' coattails a couple of years ago.
I think it would be nice for Chris and his legacy if he got far and won a title, no doubt. But, he is what he is and to me, that means if he got to the finals and won the title this year, he doesn't automatically become a better player, he's as good as he's going to ever be, right now, and we know how good that is, if they won the title his basketball IQ and physical skills won't improve, he won't jump higher, pass or shoot better, his career is defined already because he's not going to improve, the ceiling has been reached and he is what he is at this point as an individual talent.

As far as never leading his team, anything he did in New Orleans doesn't count, there's no chance that team was ever going to advance past the 1st or 2nd round anyway, they were a fringe team who only GOT to the playoffs in the first place because of Chris. His Clippers career is what you define him on because they are the team who COULD go all the way. This recent series vs Houston was Chris' worst moment, the other serieses in previous years were hard battles, the Clippers lost to good teams but mainly lost due to injuries and bad seeding, the year they played Memphis the entire team was hurt and they had to basically fly to San Antonio the next day and play a game, no way they were going to win THAT series.

The only time to me that he SHOULD HAVE been to the 3rd round was this year, i can't tell you what happened to the Clippers, this was the year that CP3 needed to advance and for some odd reason, he did not.

Was this year's loss on HIM? Did he play poorly and cost them the series? Or, was it a weak bench that was their undoing? probably a little of both.

It would have been nice if the Clippers didn't have to play the Spurs in round 1, if they played a cupcake team like Houston did in the first round, they probably win the 2nd round.

It is hard to defend him after their collapse vs Houston, but visually i didn't see that it was his fault the team just stopped playing, although he does have to take some of the blame for sure.

If he gets knocked out early next year, i'll revisit this with a new opinion, i think he's really out of chances at this point, Clips are built to win NOW and he has to get them over the hump.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:37 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,434 times
Quote:
Yeah, that is fine and all but lets take a progress report of how he is doing in his 10th year at age 30 in the NBA.

Postseason success: getting to the second round, accomplished with two different franchises, but never further.

Work in progress indeed.

Chris Paul should think about leaving the Western Conference and going East, he is not going to win a title coming out of the West. Anyone in their right mind have the Clippers beating a healthy Thunder or Warriors team to come out of the West? How about a re-energized and possibly retooled Spurs? Yeah, no.
I agree with this statement. With him being in the western conference it will be very difficult for him to make the conference finals yet alone the NBA finals. He should consider moving east then that will make things easier. If Lebron played in the west his entire career I don't think he would have the same success either.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:15 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
I don't get the CP3 hate. Look at his stats for this series by game...

Game 3: (Limited to 23 minutes coming off hamstring injury)
5-12 12 pts, 7 assts

Game 4: (limited to 26 minutes injury)
4-9 15 pts 12 assts

Game 5:
9-16 22 pts 10 assts

Game 6:
10-19 31 pts 11 assts

Game 7:
9-20 26 pts 10 assts

What more do you want him to do? Blake is afraid to shoot and the rest of the team only showed up on occasion. Paul was the only one who really looked like he wanted it the last few games.
To put it all on Paul's shoulders is just ludicrous. He is a winner, but winners need the right team around them in order to win.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:48 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Exactly. He's still really in the middle of his career. There is no "legacy" to discuss at this point. He hasn't even won anything, which could change by the time he is closer to the end of his career.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:51 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Exactly. He's still really in the middle of his career. There is no "legacy" to discuss at this point. He hasn't even won anything, which could change by the time he is closer to the end of his career.
Middle? He probably has 2-3 years left in his prime as the best player on a potentially successful team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball