Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: would you draft a jumping jack point guard?
yes. 0 0%
maybe, but only if they had sufficient skills in other areas that I'd draft them regardless of leaping ability. 1 25.00%
no, I'd prefer either the Chris Paul model (pass first) or Steph Curry model (3 pt. whiz). 1 25.00%
other (please explain below). 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 02:38 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,012,645 times

Advertisements

I see that Ja Morant of Murray State is getting tremendous buzz. A recent bleacher rpt mock draft has him going #2 overall. But he is a jumping jack point guard who does not shoot 3s well. He has improved from last year (.307 last year, .336 this year). And he does hit his free throws (.810), so there is hope. I look at free throws as an indicator of college players' jump-shooting accuracy potential.

There have been few successful jumping jack point guards in the NBA that I can think of. Baron Davis was one, and also Derrick Rose. Some put Westbrook in that category. Maybe Allen Iverson too. That's about all I can come up with. Spud Webb and Nate Robinson might have been, but were always hampered by lack of height on defense.

If I'm an NBA GM, I'm going to try to get a point guard who is either pass first (e.g. Chris Paul) or a guy who can hit the 3 ball (e.g. Steph Curry). Note that several of the above guys were plagued by injuries. If you're a shorter guy, you're coming down a greater distance after you take flight. That has to be tough on the knees.

Here's an ESPN discussion of 'most explosive point guards.' Skip ahead to 2:22 for pg discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YsqkaPMQrI

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball