Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 11:29 PM

29,548 posts, read 22,880,504 times

Advertisements

He's gone baby.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/so...050000759.html

Quote:
The Sacramento Kings, after promising DeMarcus Cousins privately and publicly that he wouldn’t be moved prior to Thursday’s NBA trade deadline, agreed to trade the center to the New Orleans Pelicans on Sunday night, league sources told The Vertical.

The Pelicans are sending guards Buddy Hield, Tyreke Evans and Langston Galloway, and 2017 first- and second-round picks to the Kings, league sources said, with forward Omri Casspi going to New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 11:34 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,258,825 times
Abysmal trade for the Kings, but another shift of power in the West Conference. Cousins and Davis would be fun to watch.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:19 AM

6,843 posts, read 11,016,639 times
- Jrue Holiday: 26 years old
- DeMarcus Cousins: 26 years old
- Anthony Davis: 23 years old

The "Big 3" core of this team is set for at least the next decade and possibly beyond. They just need to add shooters, defenders, and talent around their core three guys. Also they have to make sure they resign Jrue Holiday back this summer when he is a free agent.

There are a lot of risks in this trade for the New Orleans Pelicans, the least of which being that they gave up less talent to acquire a top 10 caliber talent (Boogie is the best pure center in the game). However, the risks start in the sense that Boogie already has accumulated more than 16 technical fouls this season, meaning that each time he gets a technical foul now for the duration of the regular season, he will be suspended for a game for each technical foul he gets. He's also an extremely volatile personality and I'm interested in seeing how he would fit with other very talented players. This is the most talent he's ever had in an NBA team in his entire career and Anthony Davis is a top 3 basketball player in the NBA, Jrue Holiday a former All-Star and very good point guard (his numbers are stellar and very efficient). If DeMarcus Cousins buys in and becomes a team first guy, this trade will pay off immensely for the Pelicans. They will be a force to reckon with, especially against small teams like Golden State and Houston, they have arguably the two best bigmen in the NBA on the same roster, both capable of stretching and spacing the floor (as 3 point shooters).

This team will either be a perennial powerhouse and title contender OR they will be an epic failure waiting to unravel. I wont judge them on their performance for the next 25 games remaining this season, because integration takes time but I will start judging them on their performance starting next season. They should be good, at least they are on paper but we'll see how that will translate to real life. I do expect them to make the playoffs though, as the 8th and final seed in the Western Conference now, but if they don't then that's alright too this year (the Pelicans already have way too many losses this season, at 34 games, hard ditch to climb out of this late in the season).

They definitely have to put some talent around the core 3 guys on this roster.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:19 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,999,359 times
I still don't think they'll make the playoffs this year (only 2-3 games behind the Nuggets). If I had to guess the Pelicans will be 4-8 seeds in the playoffs for the next 2-3 season. Then Cousins or Davis will get injured or want out for whatever reason.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:04 PM

78,983 posts, read 61,148,953 times
Great trade for the Pelicans IMO.

For the Kings, the unending cycle of rebuilding continues.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:15 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,303,547 times
The Kings have let a lot of people leave via trade. Nic Stauskas, who I actually liked. Isaiah Thomas III is better than anticipated in Boston. You have Rudy Gay, who's best years were with the then grit and grind Grizzlies. This franchise realized it was time to do a hard reset.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:05 PM

78,983 posts, read 61,148,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
The Kings have let a lot of people leave via trade. Nic Stauskas, who I actually liked. Isaiah Thomas III is better than anticipated in Boston. You have Rudy Gay, who's best years were with the then grit and grind Grizzlies. This franchise realized it was time to do a hard reset.
The Kings seem to make hard resets about as often as Rodman changes his hairdo.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:32 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,999,359 times
Hmm, anybody know how the draft picks work? From my understanding the Kings will suck so get a lottery pick...but the Sixers have the right to swap picks with them due to the Stauskas trade. If the Pelicans make the playoffs than the Kings' draft pick falls out of the lottery, right?

So worst case scenario (and likely) the Kings get Hield and a couple of 10-15-ish draft picks. That sounds insane.

I guess best case scenario is that they tank (and the Sixers suck), their lotto pick turns out great, Hield turns into a 15+ ppg player and the Pelicans don't make the playoffs thus giving them another lotto pick who ends up being at least a fringe all star.

The thing is though, lotto picks outside of 1-3 are sorta hit or miss (even those aren't always great). They must REALLY like Hield or REALLY believe the future is mediocre with Cousins (probably right but I'd still try to get more). It's a huge gamble. Seems like their odds of making this work are about 1 in 4.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:56 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,161,695 times
Twin Towers? In 2017? Lotsa luck Pelicans...

I don't see the defense working out anytime soon. Lots of redundancy inside and I don't think Davis and especially Cousins really know how to play 'winning' NBA basketball yet.

It's a daring idea, should be fun to watch to a point.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:33 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,414,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Abysmal trade for the Kings, but another shift of power in the West Conference. Cousins and Davis would be fun to watch.
I still can't believe the Pelicans pulled off this trade.

Agree, it will be fun to watch...but which big plays Center?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball