Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 01:39 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

No surprise there

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2017/3/...-olajuwon-goat

Quote:
Ah, the GOAT. It’s that never-ending argument that can be looked at any number of ways.

Is it the man with the most titles? Might it be the guy with the best stats? The player with the most MVPs? Some, in-our-head, combination of all these things? The argument is as subjective as it gets, and ask any number of fans from any number of different cities, and you’re sure to get a wide variety of answers.

Well, one normally business-analytics-centered website recently made an attempt to answer that question using a purely analytics-driven viewpoint, and the answer turned out to be what all of us Houston Rockets fans have known all-along: Hakeem Olajuwon is the true GOAT when the chips were down in the playoffs.
https://hickamsdictum.com/the-g-o-a-...e-e43c7e53a9a7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 02:36 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,096,237 times
the biggest thing i dont see them taking into account is games played.
hakeem has far less games played than a lot of those guys he was compared to. hes ranked (tied) at 42nd at 145 games, but has 49 guys ahead of him when removing ties. almost every guy he was compared to has more games, and some have A LOT more games. duncan has more than 100 games more played.
as part of that, hakeem had 15 seasons in the playoffs, of those he played 5 or less playoff games 8 seasons. in perspective, robinson played in 13 playoffs and had 5 or less games 4 times. (these equate to 1st round exits)
10 or less games 10 times, robinson 5 times.
his PPG is much higher, but assists and rebounds are not terribly far off from robinson, yet DR played 5 less minutes per game average.
26/11/3 39.6 average HO
18/10.6/2.3 34.3 average DR.

thats just robinson who is an all time great but never put in any argument for GOAT.
just rockets fan site propaganda.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:31 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Jordan with 6 championships gets my vote without looking at any statistics.

Pre-championship Jordan probably had better stats until he toned down his game (looking at Westbrook).

I really like Hakeem... I can't put him past Jordan.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:14 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
So I read the article and he did a decent job but it's not a purely analytics analysis because he IMO arbitrarily includes some of the 11 categories and then weights them all the same. Ranking steals, blocks for example equally with points is seriously not good imo.

There is zero consideration for making life easy on your teammates by drawing double teams or setting them up with sweet passes etc.

That's why you see Robert Horry ranking around guys like oh....Karl Malone.

Horry for example wins the Turn Over category because he spent a lot of his pro career catching and shooting in the playoffs and that gets weighted the same as points scored.

P.S. I love Olajuwon and think he's often grossly under-rated. I remember the year he went through 3-4 HOF centers en route for a championship and he was amazing. At his prime I consider him as good as anyone.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:54 PM

60 posts, read 41,247 times
Watching Hakeem and Kobe Bryant play basketball makes me wonder why more kids coming up dont play soccer as well. Kobe played soccer until he was 14, and Hakeem played until he was 18. Respectively, their footwork was amongst the best Ive ever seen at their respective positions. They have both mentioned that there was a positive transfer of learning from soccer to basketball. Thats the thing Ill always remember about Hakeem, especially being a Knicks fan. Patrick Ewing just tripped over his own ankles on numerous occassions in the playoffs trying to guard Hakeem.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiscusharry View Post
Watching Hakeem and Kobe Bryant play basketball makes me wonder why more kids coming up dont play soccer as well. Kobe played soccer until he was 14, and Hakeem played until he was 18. Respectively, their footwork was amongst the best Ive ever seen at their respective positions. They have both mentioned that there was a positive transfer of learning from soccer to basketball. Thats the thing Ill always remember about Hakeem, especially being a Knicks fan. Patrick Ewing just tripped over his own ankles on numerous occassions in the playoffs trying to guard Hakeem.
Great insight, really appreciate the post.

Steve Nash (Off memory so don't crucfy me if wrong) was a heckuva soccer player too if I recall?

Old 05-05-2017, 11:57 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,522,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Jordan with 6 championships gets my vote without looking at any statistics.

Pre-championship Jordan probably had better stats until he toned down his game (looking at Westbrook).

I really like Hakeem... I can't put him past Jordan.
What about 11 Championships Bill Russell?

Old 05-06-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
What about 11 Championships Bill Russell?
That starts to get into the Robert Horry argument.

IMO though, totally different eras. Russell gets respect though and is widely considered a top all-time player.

Some people like ketchup, some like mustard.

But with Jordan, he's an icon. On court, off court, championships, marketing....the works.

It's not the gold standard, it's the platinum standard.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:25 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,502,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiscusharry View Post
Sooner than later, that may happen. I'm betting Kobe took up soccer growing up in Italy. The youth development is still way better than in the USA, though it is coming along.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Sooner than later, that may happen. I'm betting Kobe took up soccer growing up in Italy. The youth development is still way better than in the USA, though it is coming along.
Once concussion fears and college scholarships start pushing the A+ talent in the US to soccer that will all change.

Football in the US is really heading into a transformation, not sure what it is but it's coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball