Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 03:54 AM

1 posts, read 805 times

Advertisements

Hai. Any Dallas Mavericks fans here?

How excited are you having Luka Doncic on your team?

He's HIGHLIGHTS are just INSANE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM6Mv4rXiT0

He's our pride here in Slovenia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 05:37 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
His highlights are fun to watch--reminds me a lot of Pistol Pete Maravich. However we will have to wait to see how he performs. The NBA draft is a roll of the dice in general, but even more so for a guy coming from the Spanish league. I remember watching Ricky Rubio's highlights and thinking wow, this guy is unreal how he makes such fast decisions. He has been decent in the NBA, but far from great.

Doncic was rated #1 in the draft by several mock drafts, so people much more knowledgeable than me are high on him. I'm not a Dallas fan, but I definitely enjoy his style of play, so I will cheer for him to do well in the NBA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z2HyiNk0SE

Old 08-12-2018, 05:01 PM

525 posts, read 279,373 times
He has a lot of potential in him. Really hoping he wins Rookie of the Year.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:45 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,055 times
He is a good player and will be a good pro, but IMO, the Lakers got the steal of the draft again this year in 2nd round pick Sviatoslav (Svi) Mykhailiuk.

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFIfwm6fZBc

Last edited by Just One of the Guys; 08-14-2018 at 12:59 PM..

Old 08-14-2018, 03:59 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsasevi View Post
Hai. Any Dallas Mavericks fans here?

How excited are you having Luka Doncic on your team?

He's HIGHLIGHTS are just INSANE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM6Mv4rXiT0

He's our pride here in Slovenia.
I like his vision, his willingness to pass, his shooting accuracy, and his ball handling for his size (handles look on par with Kevin Durant--good, not great).

Where will the growing pains be? That wraparound sidearm pass is going to get deflected all over the place in the pros. His low & slow shooting windup is going to get stripped and contested in the pros. He's not big enough to shoot over the wings who will guard him, and he doesn't look like a good enough ball handler to reliably create the separation to score off of the dribble. He will need to be a scoring threat to create openings to use his vision and make great passes, and I think he needs to change his shooting mechanics to be a scoring threat. His windup puts the ball down & takes a long time to release. NBA defenders are too good to let a player get a good shot off with that release time. NBA defenders are also not going to be broken down by the moves in these highlight videos. That level of handles works for KD because he's 7 feet tall with a reasonably quick shooting motion. And KD's hesi-pull up is elite--especially when paired with the threat of his drive to the rim with long strides. At this point, I don't think Doncic has that kind of move. His step back is not going to scare anyone in the NBA until he shoots quicker.

Defensively, who knows? His size is a plus, but he doesn't seem to be the quickest 6'7 guy around. Dallas won't be defending anyone this year, anyways. I think he'll have to become a solid team defender to be a franchise cornerstone down the road.

He's young & has time to figure it out. It will be fun to watch.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:55 PM

525 posts, read 279,373 times
Now Luka is saying Deandre Ayton will win Rookie of the Year honors. That is definitely something that can happen, but Doncic can win the award himself if he has a stellar rookie season.

Old 08-26-2018, 12:28 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
Default Just saw the video

Ok I went from not knowing the guy to an instant Luka Doncic fan.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:11 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Doncic is leading the pack for ROY. I have to say I am surprised to see a 19 year old come over from Europe and play like this. 20 points/game 6.7 rebounds, and 5.0 assists. Shooting percentages are not great, but that is normal for any rookie in the NBA.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:14 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
He is a good player and will be a good pro, but IMO, the Lakers got the steal of the draft again this year in 2nd round pick Sviatoslav (Svi) Mykhailiuk.

Svi averaging 9.8 minutes/game, 2.9 pts./game.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:25 AM

5,826 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Doncic is leading the pack for ROY. I have to say I am surprised to see a 19 year old come over from Europe and play like this. 20 points/game 6.7 rebounds, and 5.0 assists. Shooting percentages are not great, but that is normal for any rookie in the NBA.
He's far and away the best rookie since LeBron. Hes the real deal. Luka is gonna be a Top 10 player in Year 3, and he's gonna be an All-Time great. Take it to the bank. When his game matures he could possibly be the very best player in The League, he is Dirk Nowitzki reincarnated in the form of a point forward. Transformational talent that will one day bring Dallas their second championship, and bring other players to Dallas to play with him...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball