Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,871 times

Advertisements

well,
being i am from, as in, born and raised in 'CAJUN COUNTRY', i can say that my grandmother and her parents spoke fluent cajun french. during mawmaws childhood there was an active prohibition on speaking french even for children at school outside the classroom. that practise all but killed the cajun dialect. however, in the 1980s an organization called CODOFIL, was "invented" the acronym is:
COUNCIL ON DEVELOPEMENT OF FRENCH IN LOUISIANA. they, the idiot powers that be, decided that the all but extermination of our native 'bastardized' version of PARISIENNE FRENCH was actually a cultural asset and worth saving. seems like with all of the references to "CAJUN" this and that, they would take advantage of the globalization and notoriety afforded in the musical references to our culture.
CODOFIL seems to be helping in reviving the all but lost culture known as CAJUN/CREOLE. and, the state of LOUISIANA has been actively encouraging the french heritage and language. but, what most do not realize is the differences between cajun and creole. cajun is french, while creole is spanish with indigenous peoples. there has been so much blending that to be honest my personal belief is that the purity of cajun/creole has diminished to the extent there are no more differences.

well, i would say goodbye in french except it is prohibited so,

later,
the pad
musicqueenpolhymnia
moi/me sldc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 04:48 PM

1,665 posts, read 975,121 times
I wish I could to. Growing up I used to be with my grandparents at the fais do do. My grampa played guitar in a band. They spoke Cajun fluently and I would listen. I know some words and sayings. But I really wish I could go back and have them teach me.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:36 PM

427 posts, read 440,564 times
Try Southwest Louisiana, for example, rural areas like New Iberia, St. Martinsville, westward to Crowley, Erath on to rural Lake Charles. Their are many proud of their heritage and pass on their culture and language. Some choose to follow some not.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:01 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
From my many many visits to the city, I can't recall hearing French at all. Yet I've heard many other languages. Strange eh..
I heard it once in a non tourist section of the city. That aside the few remaining francophones in Louisiana tend to live in rural areas west of New Orleans. I have heard Cajun French in Breaux Bridge and in Swords (map dot west of Oplalousas sp).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddhanks View Post
I wish I could to. Growing up I used to be with my grandparents at the fais do do. My grampa played guitar in a band. They spoke Cajun fluently and I would listen. I know some words and sayings. But I really wish I could go back and have them teach me.
Me too. Though I am not Cajun, my family was part francophone when I was growing up. I used to be able to follow movies and conversations, but not any more.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:46 PM

27 posts, read 42,365 times
I was raised about 20 miles from Lafayette. You will not hear French when you walk down Main Street. What you will hear in the shops and grocery store is a strong accent and maybe strange sayings (examples: If you were saying you would get out of your car, a true Cajun says they are getting down. You would put away your groceries. My grandmother 'saved' her groceries (and her dishes.)) My grandmother who would be 139 spoke Cajun French, her parents spoke no English. My dad, her son, was pure English speaking. Schools banned the children from speaking French in those days. My husband, also from Acadiana, speaks no French, but people know where he's from by his accent. Read a Cajun Night Before Christmas to practice your accent before you go. And make sure you visit St. Martinville and the Evangeline Oak where the true Acadians arrived from Canada.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:22 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,052 times

Old 10-21-2016, 09:54 AM

427 posts, read 440,564 times
Long life Codofil! Thank you Jimmy Domengeaux!

Old 10-21-2016, 01:45 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
I did or do , he is still living .. an excellent boyfriend from Galliano , years ago .. He was SO handsome and loved to hear him speak it . Stupid me didn't marry him ( he DID ask more than a few times) because at the time 35 years back I was afraid to leave Texas .. one of my few regrets again ... ahh that black hair and lite blue eyes .. LAWD !!!

Old 10-21-2016, 03:41 PM

181 posts, read 138,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
I loved your video. And you made so many excellent points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge