Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 16,362 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Baton Rouge from Plano, Texas and I want more input about the best school for gifted students in Baton Rouge.

After talking to educators at the Louisiana Department of Education, education reporters at several local newspapers around Baton Rouge and school officials at both public and private schools, I was given the recommendation by the majority (of those contacted) that for gifted children private schools are not the best solution in Baton Rouge for highly gifted students - the academic scores, attendance at Ivy league colleges and scholastic rankings just don't rank against the gifted students at the public schools.

In Plano, Texas the majority of gifted students and the students being recruited by the Ivy League schools are from other countries or their parents are from other countries. I was told that population of highly gifted student is in the gifted programs at the public schools - not the private schools. I want my children to compete against the best and brightest students that compete at the Ivy League level.

Do you have a highly gifted child? Could you provide stats for your school based on acceptance to Ivy League universities? How does your private school stats for gifted children compare to the public school gifted program stats?

After contacting several Ivy League universities I was informed that attendance from Louisiana students is predominantly from public schools in Baton Rouge, not private schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 29,928 times
I'd like to know the answer to that as well. I will be relocating to Baton Rouge or nearby and I'm researching for the same thing. Please let me know if you hear of anything more. Thanks

Old 04-16-2009, 11:28 PM

54 posts, read 303,961 times
I wonder what she found out...this thread is pretty old.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:44 PM

211 posts, read 566,548 times
The LSU Lab School looks good. Louisiana State University Laboratory School | Baton Rouge, Louisiana (http://www.uhigh.lsu.edu/index.htm - broken link) If I had kids, I would seriously consider it.

I'm a teacher and I'm going to consider teaching there, actually. My first choice is the Lafayette region, but BR is second.

Scott

Old 04-18-2009, 10:36 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,689,943 times
LSU Lab School and Baton Rouge Magnet are good schools.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 29,928 times
Is there a gifted school in Lafayette?

Old 05-15-2011, 12:27 PM
AW1

1 posts, read 12,765 times
Default Schools for gifted students in BR

In my experience the public gifted program is the way to go if you think about Ivy League for your kids.
My older son went through the program (Buchanan , Glasgow Middle and Baton Rouge Magnet High) and ended up in Ivy League schools. He is on his way to PhD right now.
My younger son went for few years to catholic schools and is now in public gifted middle school program. He is not the only one in school coming from catholic schools. Most parents are happy with the switch.
I believe if you are having gifted kid the catholic schools is not the best option. The schools care about image. Strict uniform rules, strict behavior rules and good organization are the hallmarks, but classes are overcrowded (32 students), homework is redundant with keeping you busy kind of work and classes are conducted with a very structured environment.
Public schools felt to me liberating with their approach. You will still get the negatives like old facilities and transfer station busing, but the kids are exposed to a lot of academic and art competitions. Emphasis in teaching how to think and work independently is a norm. The teachers are usually great and not stifled in their creative approaches.
The results and comparisons are visible in regional and state rallies and competitions.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:31 PM

494 posts, read 1,610,366 times
Orly Aw1?

I went through the same set of schools. Buchanan, Glasgow, and BRMH. Those are w/o a doubt the best schools in the city. You have my word on this. Baton Rouge High doesn't have gifted, as it's a pure magnet school, but it's one of the better high schools in the state. Another good option for gifted elementary is Westminster. Spent time there before I went to Buchanan.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:38 AM

27 posts, read 79,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southseeker View Post
Orly Aw1?

I went through the same set of schools. Buchanan, Glasgow, and BRMH. Those are w/o a doubt the best schools in the city. You have my word on this. Baton Rouge High doesn't have gifted, as it's a pure magnet school, but it's one of the better high schools in the state. Another good option for gifted elementary is Westminster. Spent time there before I went to Buchanan.
This coming week, my wife and I are going to start looking at the gifted Pre-K program at Buchanan.

I've got some friends who send their kids to Buchanan for the K-5 gifted program and are absolutely delighted with it. I'm personally torn (long-term) between gifted education and some of the fantastic magnets (such as BRCVPA, WHAM, South Boulevard, and Forest Heights).

The problem, honestly, that I have with gifted 'programs' inside of neighborhoods schools is how hard it is to gauge the quality of both programs, as their test scores are averaged together.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 12,466 times
I have two kids in gifted. Both went to Buchanan, one through Glasgow and now going to Baton Rouge High (not gifted but magnet and has AP classes) Tried private here and they could not accommodate high gifted ie greater than 99% IQ. Magnet schools are good but also can not handle high gifted in elementary/middle school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge