Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 6,992 times

Advertisements

Me and my bf are moving to the Kona area. What we would like to do is camp for awhile while we work. Is it possible to camp around the Kona area for more than 2 weeks at a time? We would really like to camp for around 4 months. Also how hard is it to find jobs in Kona? I have secretary experience, and he has general labor experience. I am starting to freak out about "not being able to make it". Yes I know its more expensive. But im hoping finding a job and camping while saving money is a possiblity. We do know a couple people that live in Kona, but we do not want to be a burden to them for more than a couple days. (they have a newborn). Any positive advice would be helpfull!!! I can not handle any more negative attitude tords new people moving to the Islands. (none on here, other forums) All you are doing is freaking me out!!!! jeeze! This is a huge move/lifestyle change, (4,000 miles) I am very excited to change my ways of living from Chicago (busy, ignorance, filth, need everything in sight type life) to Kona ( easy going, See what is really important in life type life). Any info helpful and appreciated! thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 04:27 PM

101 posts, read 249,701 times
I have no idea about the camping, but don't let anyone kill your dream. Do your research though and please come with enough money to feed yourselves until you can find work. There don't seem to be a ton of secretarial jobs on Craigslist but there seem to be plenty for general labor and hospitality positions. I've heard that the market is very competitive here though so be warned it could take awhile.

My advice, is get a local phone number as soon as you can because I've heard people are wary of hiring off islanders. Once you've got your 808 it's not so obvious that you've just arrived.

Wish I could be more help.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:32 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
Have you looked into WWOOFing? They give you a place to stay/camp in return for a few hours of work a day/week. It might be a place to start.

I can't think of any campgrounds directly next to Kailua or near Kailua, although that doesn't mean there aren't any. Will you have a car? The buses are fairly few and far between in some areas.

Can you get a round trip ticket with a long return date so if things don't work out you'll be able to get back to where you started from? Sort of as a back-up plan, not as a first resort.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:59 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,405,865 times
There are no campgrounds anywhere near Kona. There are a few small beach parks along Alii Drive, but no camping is allowed in any of them.

How would you get ready for work if you are camping?

Have a look at the classifieds in the West Hawaii Today newspaper online version to get an idea of jobs here that are available.

Be sure to bring at least 6 months worth of living expenses with you to tide you over while you get on your feet.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:52 AM

61 posts, read 452,150 times
The three main areas where camping was allowed were: Pine Trees, Kiholo and Spencer Beach Park. Pine Trees is no longer allowing camping, except for special holidays and with a permit. Kiholo Bay, now has security and will allow you to camp, but for only 3-4 days maximum. The reason being the number of homeless that were living there. Also there was a HUGE Micronesian camp that set up there, by huge I mean over 100! They got kicked out and the clean up process is underway. Spencer beach allows camping, but again I think you need a permit and the number of days are limited. It is also a 45 minute drive into Kailua town.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 6,992 times
Thanks for all the input!! We will have a small amount saved up, enough to live off of till we find steady work (a couple months). I think we might try to find a roomate to stay with till we can get our own place. We are very interested in doing a work trade program, but I cant seem to find one on the Kona side. It looks like they are all on the Hilo side..?? His brother lives in Kona so we really want to try to stay close to him, but if we cant find jobs we will have to go to the Hilo side. We will not have a car at first ( not planning on it at least). We bike everywhere now, we enjoy it. I figure instead of buying a round trip ticket.... I could always use my tax return...

Old 09-09-2011, 05:04 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,682,760 times
Sweets, first of all, the “negative posts” that you've been receiving, and yes we've been accused of being negative on this forum too, are not people who are trying to keep new people from moving to Hawaii. Rather most of us are people who have made the move and are experiencing the realities of living on a small island in the middle of nowhere. A lot of people dream of moving to Hawaii with visions of living in Paradise, and we are just trying to help them see that the Paradise they see on vacation is not the real Paradise when you are trying to make ends meet.

Regarding your plan to move with no jobs, very little money, and no car, it's going to be very difficult to do in this economy. I suggest that you spend some time looking through the many threads on this forum that discuss these very issues. It appears that most of the jobs are in the hospitality industry; if you don't have experience there you may find it tougher. “General labor experience”? Ha, talk to all of the out-of-work contractors who are hustling for the same thing. If you find some work/trade programs on the Hilo side, then go for it. At least you'll be on the Big Island, can get settled in and start making contacts.

As others have said, there are no good opportunities for camping near Kona. Spencer Beach might be good if you get jobs at the resorts on the Kohala Coast, but way too far to ride a bike into Kona. Another option to consider is the Manago Hotel in Captain Cook; they have inexpensive lodging. I think there's also a hostel in either Captain Cook or Kealakekua. You can easily take the bus into Kona from there (pretty long bike ride), although they don't run very often.

Good luck with your plans. Please go into this with your eyes open and don't expect that it's going to be easy. We moved after retiring at the end of our seven-year plan, by the way.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:04 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
Check the price differences between a round trip ticket and one way. I don't think there is that much of a difference and it might be worth some peace of mind to know you aren't stranded in the islands should things not work out.

Do you suppose you could have his brother start to find work contacts for you? Around here it isn't how well you work or what you do as much as it is who you know and who knows you. Getting along with your co-workers is much more important than being competent. Being related to someone is much more important than being competent. That's the sort of competition for jobs you will have to work against and there isn't anything you can say, do or know to beat that kind of competition. If it were a job for a specialized skill set, then they hire folks from the mainland over local folks.

There are usually more jobs on the Kona side than the Hilo side, but I haven't looked lately. Also, folks aren't going to want to hire you fresh off the mainland. It would help if you were able to tell them you had family over here and you moved over to help them with their newborn or something. Folks around here understand family, they don't really understand folks that have just moved over here from the mainland.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:17 PM

30 posts, read 88,737 times
What about camping in your bf brothers house if he has a yard,or the couple of people you know (or is that the brother) I understand about you not wanting to impose but my personal feeling is that friends should help other friends out and especially if its family. Its tuff out there especially if you are not well off. Kona does not have a bus as far as I know. I lived on Hilo side. And if you were to get a job at a hotel there , a lot of them are located far from Kailua. They are on the way to Hapuna Beach. I suggest you get a car if you stay in Kona. Maybe there is someone there who has a piece of land and would let you camp on it. But you would definitely need a car for hauling water for example. Hilo side has a bus, but its not very good because unless you live near to the highway or main road you have to walk far, it could be 2 miles or more to get to the bus stop. And it rains a lot there. And it pours there. A lot of people that live on Hilo side go to work in Kona, because more jobs (probably mostly in the hotels)

Old 10-05-2011, 10:08 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,906,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahmalla View Post
What about camping in your bf brothers house if he has a yard,or the couple of people you know (or is that the brother) I understand about you not wanting to impose but my personal feeling is that friends should help other friends out and especially if its family. ... )
Jahmalla ... your colored text in various posts is next to impossible to read
As for the OP, month past, probably made plans and decisions ... but thought I'd mention: there's no way to get by anywhere in the whole state of Hawai'i by camping -- especially if you don't have a car. All the angles have been long figured out by various authorities and business interests ... Hawai'i is not interested in providing inexpensive vacation or living options ... the state wants you to spend the most money possible and then go home. The state is not trying to be unfriendly ... the state is maxed out! The name of the game is to market the highest dollar vacations possible to fewer visitors to keep the number of visitors from overflowing the resources and environment. The state is finite, no place to grow, and doesn't need any more residents. The ONLY people in Hawaii who want new people moving in are realtors.

You all want to try and come and live the dream, it is a free country ... knock yourselves out ... but camping is not going to work as an option. Camping is limited on all islands to a specific number of days for each applicant (and you must have a permit) ... on some islands, like Oahu, all the parks are closed several nights per week to campers -- yes, all the same nights ... just to keep people from rotating campgrounds ... etc.

Here's a link to the County of Hawai'i campground permit application site ... Big Island limits nights per camper per park ... 10 campgrounds (plus Volcano Nat'l Park, which also limits stays annually) ... one could get by camping a maximum of less than six months, and then only if utilizing every camping park and driving all around the island in the process ... you can't camp and work in Kona without a car to drive long distances and keep moving ... read for yourself:
https://www.ehawaii.gov/Hawaii_Count...exe/campre.cgi

If you're not coming with a wad of money, you are playing with your sanity and future ... nuts. Hawai'i is expensive and every angle has already been thought of about a bazillion times -- and restricted by businesses and authorities.

Aloha anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island