Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 12:27 PM

7 posts, read 12,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaackko View Post
haha, people gonna think you're mahu, lol

My middle name is Kanoe, which is also a girl name, haha.... I used to be so embarrassed on the first day of school.
Thanks for the honest response.

So a follow-up question ... is there a lot of intolerance and prejudice towards those who are mahu in Hawaii? Are the mahu subject to intimidation, threats, or violence? (I'm not mahu, but if I'm possibly going to be perceived as mahu, I'd like to know.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 03:13 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecstaticdj View Post
So a follow-up question ... is there a lot of intolerance and prejudice towards those who are mahu in Hawaii? Are the mahu subject to intimidation, threats, or violence? (I'm not mahu, but if I'm possibly going to be perceived as mahu, I'd like to know.)
I'll ask, respectfully, if it really matters what others think of you based upon your first name? Do you really care of they think "gay", and if they do, what of it? Or do you hold your individualism and right to have any name you want as having a higher value than others' opinions?

But if you are truly worried about intimidation, threats, or violence due to [being perceived of as] gay, solely based upon a first name, then you need not worry. You will be fine.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
I'll ask, respectfully, if it really matters what others think of you based upon your first name? Do you really care of they think "gay", and if they do, what of it? Or do you hold your individualism and right to have any name you want as having a higher value than others' opinions?

But if you are truly worried about intimidation, threats, or violence due to [being perceived of as] gay, solely based upon a first name, then you need not worry. You will be fine.
No I'm not worried, just trying to gauge what the general tolerance level for alternative lifestyles is like there. (I haven't been to the islands since 1993. I'll be coming to the Big Island in September.) I don't care if people think I'm gay, so long as they have a live and let live attitude.

I'd say I'm more concerned about whether or not my going by the name of Maile might close doors or spoil opportunities (for employment, for friendship, for whatever) or generally make life harder for me than it would otherwise. Because the name doesn't hold any particular meaning for me other than that it's my given name, and I think it sounds nice and is more unique than Mike. Hardly seems worth asserting my individualism in that way if it's just going to cause me a bad time. Based on this thread, I'm still not sure what to think.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:20 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Well, the easy way would be if you call yourself "Mike" to folks when you first meet them and later explain your hippie parents and their choice of names for you. Then your friends can call you "Maile", I suppose, if you want to be "Maile.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, the easy way would be if you call yourself "Mike" to folks when you first meet them and later explain your hippie parents and their choice of names for you. Then your friends can call you "Maile", I suppose, if you want to be "Maile.
Pretty much exactly where my thoughts were headed. Good advice.

Thanks for indulging my (somewhat neurotic) inquiry everyone.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM

"It will all be fine." You'll get a good dose of explaining your name whenever you have to fill out a legal form, or buy an airline ticket, or rent a car. You will probably find that it is not that big a deal at all. By the way, early Hawaiian names were unisex and held special meaning. Do some research and you'll have a wonderful opportunity of a "conversation starter" when you give your Hawaiian name.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:42 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,407 times
I like Hotz' reply.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:53 PM

In Hawaii, a Hawaiian name is a foot in the door.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:01 AM

6 posts, read 20,570 times
Default What's in a name?

Maile is generally a female name in Hawaii. That said, gender roles here are not as rigid as they are on the mainland. You will likely see more reaction to an obvious haole (meaning 'stranger' or 'foreigner') having a Hawaiian birth name than to whether it's a male or female name. If you like your name and are comfortable with it, hang onto it. If you're not comfortable with it, you might want to pick a nickname you like and go with that.

I am a haole living in Hawaii. Most of my friends and neighbors consider me "local" but not "Hawaiian". I'm comfortable with it, and so are they.

Best Wishes, Aloha kakou

Old 12-14-2012, 04:19 PM

312 posts, read 1,373,966 times
It's true, I too believe any given Hawaiian name for anyone is a foot in the door, in some sense, in the islands. Girls name? Boys name? Who cares. I found people on the Big Island to be more accepting than anywhere else I have ever lived, not to say it's a total exception. You are lucky to have such a nice name, but it's soley up to you in how you use it.

Quick note; It's always been one of my pet peeves that people pronounce Maile as "Mai-lee" like Miley Cyrus instead of "Mai-Leh", which is correct. E's being pronounced in a hard I sound drives me nuts when someone says a Hawaiian word! I knew someone who would always say "Wa-he-nee" for Wahine and "Ka-ni" for Kane. Makes me wanna barf!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island