Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 04:58 PM

268 posts, read 383,307 times

Advertisements

If you have the bandwidth I recommend downloading Google Earth. I looked and can see 2 (graded) roads leading to Pohue beach. The one that goes through the housing division is labeled Maikai Blvd and goes straight to Pohue, while the other one, which appears to run down the Eastern border, does not have it's name showing up on GE. It appears that road also passes another beach (pictures attached to the area say it's Black Sand beach). You can clearly see a gate on the Eastern road a few miles from the beach.

*Disclaimer- I have not been there, this is just what I see on Google Earth. My virtual daily Hawaiian vacation portal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 05:59 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,105 times
The road/trail at the end of Maki is the way I hike in. 45 minutes from the end of Makia to the beach, the trip back takes longer due to it being pretty much all uphill.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:01 PM

4 posts, read 7,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz2014 View Post
Thanks Mssearch
The other road you were referring to, is that the road to the sea? which goes down to the other green sand beach. It's going to some time before I get to move there and it sucks
And how far is the nearest beach park ?
There are two roads actually accessible from within the subdivision. They are both actually clearly visible on Google Maps. One of the roads goes down to Pohue and the other leads to Kanonone water whole.

The road to Pohue is actually also accessible from the highway but even if you have access to the gate keys it takes almost two hours to get down there with a 4WD.

As far as beach parks... the closest 2WD accessible park is Whittington Beach Park. It's probably about 30 minutes from the bottom of the Ranchos. It isn't really a "beach" park in the sense that you are probably thinking though as there really isn't much of a beach. Another 5-10 minutes down the road you have Punaluu (A.K.A the Black Sand Beach). It's maybe a bit closer to what you would consider a beach park but still quite a bit different then what you might expect. The waters are quite cold due to numerous natural springs and it's not really great swimming spot.

For most of the locals, it seems the favorite beach is Ho'okenna beach park which is about 45 minutes north to the turn off. I often see other other people who live in the Ranchos when I go there.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:03 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
There are a couple of "beaches" close to (but hard to get to) Ocean View. If you look on the map at the Kona end, there's a road called Road to the Sea that goes to the water. It is unpaved but not too hard to drive on except one short section. It's only about 6 miles but takes 45 minutes because it is slow driving. At the end of the road is a small green sand beach. If you have a real high-clearance 4WD, you could drive over to the black sand beach.

Another drive to the water is the road to Manuka Bay, which is accessed about four miles Kona side of Ocean View. This is a much tougher 4WD road and takes over an hour of driving. But there is a nice bay and a real beach at the end of the road.

Chaz2014, you asked about beach parks. Not sure what exactly you are looking for, but the closest designated park is at Whitington Beach aka Honu'apo, which is a couple of miles Hilo side of Na'alehu. It has picnic tables and toilets, but not really too much in the way of a swimable beach. A lot of locals go there to have parties and cookouts.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:25 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,105 times
On calm days, when currents and waves are lax you can jump from the cliffs at Ka Lae (South Point) and there are a few small beach-lets there that you can take a dip at, though I wouldn't venture too far out. From Oceanview, as others have mentioned Ho'okena is the best swimable beach. Sand, hot showers, bathrooms, decent snorkeling and even a mini concession stand. It's where I take the kids when we are in the beach mood.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:26 PM

35 posts, read 56,126 times
All of you are very helpful,, I have been using google a lot. the beach parks are mostly for when I get the family visiting, for me I would rather be on a small less traveled hidden away beach. Hopefully just me and a few friends and Seals and Turtles. What more could anyone ask for? lol

Old 03-05-2015, 03:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,217 times
Useful information. I like to come here to rest and relax

Old 04-17-2015, 09:14 AM

35 posts, read 56,126 times
I would like to know if you have Metro PCS cell phone service there. and if so is it a good signal.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:54 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
I don't track cell phone service much, but Metro PCS isn't one I've heard folks talking about. Usually it seems to be AT & T or Verizon, I think. But, someone more akamai about cell phones can chime in with a more definitive answer no doubt.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:00 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz2014 View Post
I would like to know if you have Metro PCS cell phone service there. and if so is it a good signal.
https://www.metropcs.com/coverage.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island