Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2018, 10:40 AM

408 posts, read 433,427 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I've lived on the Big Island for the last few years for my job but now am returning to the mainland. Going through the process of shipping my dog back to the mainland.

I have the original kennel I shipped her out here in but one of the plastic fasteners is broken off.

(See like this kennel there are about a dozen little plastic bolt fasteners that keep the bottom and top together:
https://www.dog.com/item/petmate-var...0-adType%5EPLA)

It doesn't affect the kennel's performance -- it stays close the same and I put a zip tie where the fastener should be. However does anyone know if this an issue when she goes through airport security and such? I remember they can be pretty strict with requirements so I wanted to check first. However if it's not really an issue -- as long as it stays together -- I'd rather not buy another. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 10:42 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,333,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
Hi everyone! I've lived on the Big Island for the last few years for my job but now am returning to the mainland. Going through the process of shipping my dog back to the mainland.

I have the original kennel I shipped her out here in but one of the plastic fasteners is broken off.

(See like this kennel there are about a dozen little plastic bolt fasteners that keep the bottom and top together:
https://www.dog.com/item/petmate-var...0-adType%5EPLA)

It doesn't affect the kennel's performance -- it stays close the same and I put a zip tie where the fastener should be. However does anyone know if this an issue when she goes through airport security and such? I remember they can be pretty strict with requirements so I wanted to check first. However if it's not really an issue -- as long as it stays together -- I'd rather not buy another. Thank you!
Call the airport.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:49 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,957,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Call the airport.
Just buy another.

Calling the airport doesn't do you much good if someone on the phone says you are good to go - then you get to the airport and they say you aren't

Old 04-25-2018, 12:24 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,076,962 times
The kennel is fine, but you'll probably need to replace ALL the plastic fasteners with metal ones. Just pop into the hardware store and get some nuts and bolts that will fit the holes. Several years ago they made new rules regarding the plastic fasteners on kennels, so it may have been fine the first time it was used, but this time it may not be in compliance. Even with a new kennel if it has plastic fasteners, it will still need to have them replaced with metal ones.

And of course, the dog should be able to stand up and lay down in it and it should have food and water dishes. Your airline will probably have a list of requirements for airline kennels.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:31 PM

408 posts, read 433,427 times
Very helpful thank you! I didn't even think to replace all the fasteners. I'll look into that first. When I flew her out here, they did not have the metal fastener requirement.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:52 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,932,166 times
This is a question for the specific airline the dog will be flying on, not the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island