Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 02:50 PM

74 posts, read 74,130 times

Advertisements

Before the eruption, the asking price was $6M. So, while they got a discount, I'm not sure what a hotel/restaurant located next to a collapsing and/or exploding crater in a closed national park is worth.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/...ource=facebook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 03:08 PM

172 posts, read 146,183 times
Always a role of the dice but can you imagine the interest in the park when it does reopen? The last time i was there at the lodge the food was good (kind of a German/Austrian thing) and the property was very nice. I love old homes converted to restaurants. I wish the new operators the best of luck.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:00 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
The "exploding crater" isn't gonna hurt the lodge. Maybe Volcano House, but not Kilauea Lodge. I just bought a parcel of land up near Volcano since the prices are so low right now. Not that I need a small building lot near Volcano, but at the price, why not?

Old 06-17-2018, 06:12 PM

I bought a lot in Aloha Estates years ago. I actually sold a boat and used the proceeds. Cant beat a piece of zone 3 Puna for $7K

Old 06-18-2018, 12:36 AM

Yup, all the news sensationalism at least has a few upsides. I was surprised at how few folks were there at the auction, though. I woulda thought the folks displaced by the lava flow would have been looking for a new spot.

Still, even at a 'discounted' price, how much does Kilauea Lodge now have to make to meet the mortgage? Seems a bit dicey to me, but maybe the numbers work for them.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:02 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokai100 View Post
I bought a lot in Aloha Estates years ago. I actually sold a boat and used the proceeds. Cant beat a piece of zone 3 Puna for $7K
You're probably right. However, those are small lots as I recall and the location is about as wet as you can get on da Big Island-Glenwood receives about 230 inches of rain per year.

Volcano village is higher and colder but drier-a bit less than 100 inches of rain.

Doesn't the lodge mostly cater to tourists visiting Volcanoes park? I would think the exploding crater will indeed hurt business. The California firm must be betting on a rosy future.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:59 AM

Volcano National Park is one of the biggest tourist attractions and the current lava flow will slow down and stop probably fairly soon, they usually do. When that happens, there will be lots of folks wanting to visit VNP again and then Kilauea Lodge will be full again. They also have a restaurant which caters to tourists along with a fair sprinkling of locals as well. Probably about 75% tourists, 25% locals, although that's just a guess.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:52 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,171 times
We had an outstanding stay at Kilauea Lodge in Winter of last year!

I especially enjoyed sipping a hot beverage in the charming sitting room warmed by the oversized stone fireplace.
Daytime favorite spot was on a large rocking chair in picture window room overlooking the crater.
The restaurant was excellent, surf and turf at dinner and breakfast buffet in the a.m., complete with an omelet station.
Large comfortable rooms to relax and catch up on some reading, complete with view of the smoldering crater.
We woke to the sound of forest birds, and nothing else.
Bikes on property for guests to use to explore the crater.

But the magic was at night, the red glow filling picture window, very surreal.

Well worth the $380 a night, will definitely be back when things settle a bit.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
You're probably right. However, those are small lots as I recall and the location is about as wet as you can get on da Big Island-Glenwood receives about 230 inches of rain per year.

Volcano village is higher and colder but drier-a bit less than 100 inches of rain.
They are small lots (12005ft) but where i bought has up to 12ft of soil which is rare for that area. Also where i bought has no SSSP cost and there is cable available (internet)
The weather is definitely wet as it lays in the cloud zone. Kind of a poor mans Kamuela (wet side) but hey...if you are on catchment might as well have rain. Years ago there was one family in there who had two lots side by side. House and fruit trees on one side...huge greenhouse and more stuff growing on the other.
The main draw, of course for me, was $7000. lol

Old 06-21-2018, 08:41 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
The Kilauea Lodge is already listed on the new owner's web site (scroll down to the bottom) https://highwaywestvacations.com/loc...odation_type=2

It lists "Glamping" as an accommodation. This is not something currently available at the lodge (that I'm aware of) so either the listing is an error or they intend to add a new type of accommodations that the property isn't currently zoned or permitted for. Maybe their business plan is to take the current business into a new direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: